• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JoshuaW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    South Bend, IN
    These troops will be playing a supporting role to the French military, nothing more. Since when did the President need Congressional approval to station a small number of troops in a country that is not an active combat zone?

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    These troops will be playing a supporting role to the French military, nothing more. Since when did the President need Congressional approval to station a small number of troops in a country that is not an active combat zone?

He doesn't.
    They are not being sent to fight, at least not now. The weaps are for force security.
    Congress makes the budget supposedly, and declares war.
    Other than that, the Pres is CiC.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012

Looks like the new troops are just to provide security for the support personnel already on the ground. I guess some of the people here want him to not send security personnel so that if another Benghazi happens they can make political hay again and ask why there weren't more security personnel. Or they don't understand, or care about, the difference between stationing troops and declaring war.

tenring

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 16, 2008
    Martinsville
    Met an Army dude while on R&R from Nam, who at one time was stationed on a mountain top that was in the middle of nowhere in Ethiopia. Intelligence gathering and communications. We have them all over the place. Think we pulled out of the Philippines? Think again.

Shadow8088

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2012
    I heard somewhere the president can send X amount of troops anywhere in the world for 90 days without any congressional approval... again, i HEARD it.. so it's second-hand knowledge.. so take it with a grain of salt...

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    I heard somewhere the president can send X amount of troops anywhere in the world for 90 days without any congressional approval... again, i HEARD it.. so it's second-hand knowledge.. so take it with a grain of salt...

The president can send troops anwhere he wants.
    But in a "war" situation, he has 30 days to justify his actions to congress.
    They have the decision to declare war, not the pres.
    The act you're thinking of is the War Powers Act.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    Looks like the new troops are just to provide security for the support personnel already on the ground. I guess some of the people here want him to not send security personnel so that if another Benghazi happens they can make political hay again and ask why there weren't more security personnel. Or they don't understand, or care about, the difference between stationing troops and declaring war.
    Some of the people here don't want a single U.S. to step off of the continental U.S. They'll never admit it, but I'm fairly certain, one or two or ten would prefer the soldiers not even be soldiers. We'll just call up the engineers, teachers, and pipefitters the next time we get bombed.

The president can send troops anwhere he wants.
    But in a "war" situation, he has 30 days to justify his actions to congress.
    They have the decision to declare war, not the pres.
    The act you're thinking of is the War Powers Act.

What does it mean to declare war these days? Serious question. When was the last time there was a formal declaration of war?

lucky4034

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 14, 2012
    I am one of the people that don't care to see any troops overseas at this time with the exception of a few international bases. Niger isn't one of them....

We simply can't afford to house troops overseas. That money could be better spent/invested in technology and securing our own boarders.

Is that going to happen? No... but that doesn't mean that it shouldn't happen.

thatgtrguy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2012
    100 troops. Sounds about right for a long term Army Special Forces Unit plus support staff. Looks like we're arming and training Niger.

Top Bottom