• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Keith_Indy

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Noblesville
    My wife and I are going to Mexico for a vacation in several weeks. I've already checked travel warnings, and a few travel websites. The area we are going, Cabo san Lucas, isn't experiencing the high level of violence that the border areas are. We're also staying at an exclusive resort. Still going to be careful where we go.

BTW my wife's company is paying for the trip, there's NO WAY IN HELL I'd have picked Mexico as a vacation spot.

So, my thinking is to take some of my preps, spread through the bags we are checking in and carrying on. Mostly thinking food (MRE's and power bars,) water filtration, multi-tool, dust masks, and first aid. The list is obviously limited, based on what we can put in a checked in bag.

We'll have my pepper spray in the checked-in bag. I'll be carrying that everywhere once we get down there. I'll be carrying a nice metal pen on the plane, not a tactical pen though, a fisher space pen.

I've got a travel book of the area on order. I'll be sure to write down important numbers/locations, like the embassy, and E5RANGER (in case someone's got to come rescue us ;) )

Sound like a good plan? Any suggestions on what else I could bring.

Bendrx

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2009
    East Indy.
    I'm down to go Canadian Bacon style (Well, maybe better prepared) on Mexico, bout time we invade thier boarders. Enjoy the trip, will they let you bring pepper spray on the plane? May need to be creative with carry on like that. Might also consider, some kind of flea shampoo in a squirt top, I'm sure that's nasty in the eyes and more TSA approved than OC.

Keith_Indy

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Noblesville
    Pepper spray (4oz or less) is for checked in baggage only. Not as worried about the flights there and back, as being down there.

I suppose if the SHTF while we are down there, I can probably get the exec's with us to charter a flight to get us out. Better include some charter flight numbers in my list of contacts.

caneman

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    Lagrange County
    If you happen to sprain an ankle, a stout cane is really handy. You never can tell when you might fall and need a sturdy one to support all your weight as you get up.

Keith_Indy

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Noblesville
    I could probably purchase a cane down there.

Another thing suggested is buying a knife down there, but, Mexico's legal system being what it is, I don't want anything that can be considered a weapon.

Also I'm getting a travelers wallet to go around my neck under my shirt. I figure bribe money will go in there.

Eddie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    North of Terre Haute
    I hope you have a good vacation and all but...I prep for Mexico every day by not going to Mexico. So far I have a 100% success rate. I'm even doing it right now while I'm typing.

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    you know i would be there in a flash if you need it.

You might check and see if you are required to remove the heaters from the MRE's for airline travel. even for checked baggage.
    give people close to you the info and contact numbers of your arrival time, flight, hotel, taxi or rental service you will be using. current photos also. You may also want to arrange check in times with a family member. Also give THEM the number to the embassy as well. also local police numbers and media outlets. Make sure your cell service will work there and you might also want a backup and also a small GPS unit incase you are lost in the middle of no where for some reason and need to give exact coordinates for your rescue. get a travel wallet that goes around your neck and place your valuables and PASSPORT in it. do not separate your passport from your person for any reason or give it to anyone for any reason other than at the airport. do not place it where it can be pickpocketed. keep it under your tucked in shirt shirt. I recommend replacing the cheap lanyard with the aircraft grade wire that you can cut to size. that way a thief cant just cut it off your neck and bolt. only use marked and licensed taxi services and ask for ID from the driver before you enter the car or van. Also when accepting deliveries or hotel staff at your door make sure to check ID before opening the door and also call the desk to verify service if you are not sure. I have a long checklist I use to go through with clients but its too long to post here. In that country there is no such thing as overdoing it when it comes to safety.

Im sure you already have researched or know most of this, but for the sake of double checks there it is again.

1$Chuck

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 8, 2010
    Columbus
    I go to Mexico pretty often for work. I always put a pocket knife in my checked bag and have never had a problem with that. I carry it the whole time I'm there and then just remember to put it back in your checked bag before I come home. Always keep your passport with you as mentioned above but I also keep a scanned copy of mine along with a scanned copy of my Drivers license somewhere else just in case I do loose my originals, then I'd at least have something to prove who I was. You probably won't have to use a credit card while your down there but if you do be very leary of that. I've got notifiers on my card that send me an email every time there's a foreign transaction on it.

irishfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    in your head
    resort travel only = +1 if possible

no travel at night = A BIG HELL YEAH!!! even if its a chartered night trip, I would just skip that puppy!

But think of the story you would have if things get wild and you survive! This one time in Mexico we were attacked by a cartel and.....:D

Keith, I hope you both have a great trip down there and if you use your common sense then you will be fine. Also, you already have taken the biggest step which is to ask questions to better your knowledge and to be prepared. One suggestion I may have is if you do go to a location out of the resort and go to it several times then you may want to go a different route or leave at different times so if you are being watched then it won't be as easy to catch you in a ambush situation.

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    +1 to the 2 above post. im out of rep, sorry guys.

a lot of the kidnapping schemes I have been briefed on seem to use the hotel staff to gain access to the hotel and guests. beware of your surroundings at all times even in the hotel.
    when I have tought self defense to college students and women, I always told them the first key to self defense is to not put yourself into a situation where your safety could be compromised. ie; dont walk through a park after dark alone, dont flash large amounts of money around or constantly check your wallet in your back pocket, keep your purse up close under your arm and not dangling by your waste. etc ...... dont present yourself as a target and the odds are that you wont become a statistic. low level criminals will go after the easiest score for the least risk to themselves. to the large boys you probly wont even make their radar, and if you do, you will need more help than you can take in a carry on.

common sense. I know you keith so I know you have it. you will be fine. As your friend I must still advise against going to mexico though, lol.

Keith_Indy

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Noblesville
    Oh yeah, was planning on bringing my swiss army knife in the checked in baggage, forgot about that. Really need to write it all down.

Thanks for the tips so far everyone. Amazing how different your thinking is when you start looking at what could go wrong. The MRE's are either for down there, or if we happen to get stuck in an airport due to weather cancellations. Should probably add car rental places to the phone list.

E5RANGER - if you could forward me that list I'd appreciate it. Already several things in your post that I'll be adding to the preps. Didn't even think of the MRE heaters.

I'm less leery when we got to Jamaica, probably because they at least speak English there, and we already know what parts of Montego Bay to avoid. We always used transportation arranged through the resort down there, but a great reminder.

So far, no luck on faa or tsa regulations regarding MRE heaters. I can skip those if need be.

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    if you take Apack MRE's then you wont have to worry about it. they are safe for travel because you have to add more than regular water to activate them. so those heaters would be safe on a plane in the checked baggage. I dont have any or I would give them to you. I will gladly put together the list and give it to you.

Charlie2

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 4, 2009
    Mooresville.
    Pretty much what everyone else has already said.!!!! Use your common sense, also Have Fun..!!! I have been there and Central America several times, with No problems.!!!

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Never been to tourist mexico, but I did spend years working in the maquila border towns like Juarez. It's hard for me to imagine Mexico as fun, but I suppose it depends on where you are. Stick close to the tourist area and be aware of your situation. Have fun.:)

Steve

Master
    Rating - 100%
    84   0   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Rachet that "Spidey Sense" to the max. If something evens feels hinkey, change your direction, location, side of the street, whatever it takes to avoid a potential confrontation.

AND DON'T DRINK THE WATER!! :):

Woo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 9, 2009
    New Castle
    This is great! I am going this summer and I have been thinking on this same lines for the last couple weeks. There is a lot of good info here! Several things I had thought of and several I had not. Thanks guys!

BTW E5RANGER can I get your number incase I get into trouble, you sound like the go to guy........just sayin:D

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    This is great! I am going this summer and I have been thinking on this same lines for the last couple weeks. There is a lot of good info here! Several things I had thought of and several I had not. Thanks guys!

BTW E5RANGER can I get your number incase I get into trouble, you sound like the go to guy........just sayin:D

I wish. this is one area though where there is no room to be wrong even once. check multiple sources for information. its your life that on the line.

Top Bottom