• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cmr13

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 16, 2013
    Elkhart County
    I really need to build more shelves for cans in my basement. My wife has been canning like crazy this year and we are about out of shelf space! Definitely not complaining though!

Cynical

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 21, 2013
    peru
    This thread reminds me I need to order a new sealing ring for our canner. Our's is leaking quite a bit and takes some messing with it to get a good seal. It's a Mirro 0512 that I got used.

I ordered extras for mine but wound up with an All-American at an auction. It had everything with it and when I was looking through the parts manual for a pressure relief valve the book showed it at .58cents. After some research and checking the stamps on the bottom of the canner it was made in 1945 and still functions great. Some of the recipes in the book like kidneys, heart and liver I’m not interested in but it was a good glimpse back in time and the tool is still working.

cmr13

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 16, 2013
    Elkhart County
    I ordered extras for mine but wound up with an All-American at an auction. It had everything with it and when I was looking through the parts manual for a pressure relief valve the book showed it at .58cents. After some research and checking the stamps on the bottom of the canner it was made in 1945 and still functions great. Some of the recipes in the book like kidneys, heart and liver I’m not interested in but it was a good glimpse back in time and the tool is still working.
    I believe our Mirro is from 92. I'd have to check that for sure. My FIL saw 2 of them on an auction and wanted to bid on them but realized too late and they sold for $4 each! He still kicks himself for missing that!

Mij

Permaplinker (thanks to Expat)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    I really need to build more shelves for cans in my basement. My wife has been canning like crazy this year and we are about out of shelf space! Definitely not complaining though!
    Empty 5 gal buckets full of what ever, (rice) 8 ft. Apart. 1x12 boards across. Stack to you’re reach. Each shelf will hold about a hundred lbs. :thumbsup:

Mij

Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    Yep, when covid came around ,which ironically I’m recovering from again, I saw the handwriting on the walls and bought a butt ton of lids and rings. I was actually able to help family and friends at harvest time.
    Think I posted about this very thing , lids n rings, over a year ago. In this thread, When we started seeing the distribution problems. :dunno:

Never to late to start. Better than your nearby fellows.

cmr13

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 16, 2013
    Elkhart County
    Empty 5 gal buckets full of what ever, (rice) 8 ft. Apart. 1x12 boards across. Stack to you’re reach. Each shelf will hold about a hundred lbs. :thumbsup:
    That's a good idea! My basement floor isn't very level or smooth across most of it, so I need to figure out a solution that will work with that as well. For right now we are using a folding table but it's just about full so I'll have to do something!

Cynical

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 21, 2013
    peru
    I believe our Mirro is from 92. I'd have to check that for sure. My FIL saw 2 of them on an auction and wanted to bid on them but realized too late and they sold for $4 each! He still kicks himself for missing that!
    My mirro is probably not to far from that. I can say I have only replaced the gasket twice. So, every ten or twelve years or so. Unfortunately the small town I live in has limited resources as far as goods go. I ordered some extras but I know my All-American is good to go always.

Mij

Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    That's a good idea! My basement floor isn't very level or smooth across most of it, so I need to figure out a solution that will work with that as well. For right now we are using a folding table but it's just about full so I'll have to do something!
    Cheap, easy, level with canned tuna… or sardines….:lmfao:

cmr13

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 16, 2013
    Elkhart County
    My mirro is probably not to far from that. I can say I have only replaced the gasket twice. So, every ten or twelve years or so. Unfortunately the small town I live in has limited resources as far as goods go. I ordered some extras but I know my All-American is good to go always.
    We just got it earlier this year and I don't know how old the gasket is so definitely need to replace it. It could be the original for all I know!

Reactions: Mij
    Top Bottom