• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Any pro/cons experience or just thoughts on ladies being pregnant and going to the firing range to shoot a shotgun and a 22 rifle?

Cathy shot plenty, at outdoor ranges, when carrying Sean. He's not physically or mentally stunted, so I reckon it worked out.

There are those concerned about lead. If you are one of those people, you need to quit shooting for the health of your child, and remove all ammo from your house. Lead dust is pernicious, and there is no way to remove all of it, short of utterly removing the source. If you shoot, or bring ammo in the house, you are bringing the lead with you.

Forgot to add... this applies to men as well as women. Can't just have the little lady stay home.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    ABSOLUTELY...... call any pediatrician, or any doctor, for that matter, and ask about the noise/concussion to a fetus if mom is shooting, or even too close to a shooter, and the inhaled lead as well. I have a soon -to-be student who has pushed back her training for exactly those reasons. I told her I'd have to have a note from her doc to let her shoot while she's pregnant.

Ask just about any pediatrician, or just about any Dr, and they will tell you that having guns in the house, regardless of the age of the occupants, is a health hazard. Guns are an epidemic.

Jay

Gotta watch us old guys.....cause if you don't....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2008
    Near Marion, IN
    just about any Dr, and they will tell you that having guns in the house, regardless of the age of the occupants, is a health hazard. Guns are an epidemic.

That's when you have to be smart enough to select another health care provider.

RCB

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 17, 2009
    Near Bedford
    Cathy shot plenty, at outdoor ranges, when carrying Sean. He's not physically or mentally stunted, so I reckon it worked out.

There are those concerned about lead. If you are one of those people, you need to quit shooting for the health of your child, and remove all ammo from your house. Lead dust is pernicious, and there is no way to remove all of it, short of utterly removing the source. If you shoot, or bring ammo in the house, you are bringing the lead with you.

Forgot to add... this applies to men as well as women. Can't just have the little lady stay home.

Outdoor ranges are much better. I think the focus was on indoor ranges. We aren't talking about lead residue from handling a bullet (although if you don't have to, don't), but vaporized lead in the air that occurs due to the heat from friction that bullets endure as they are fired. When children are developing is when they are the most susceptible. They don't have developed livers to filter harmful substances out, even though their mothers largely do that for them. That's what we are talking about. It's why chemicals are so dangerous for unborn babies. Their bodies are much smaller than ours, so their absorption levels are much higher.

I would consider it a small and temporary cost to help my unborn child's health in the positive direction. I am guessing you know no one who has had a child with defects due to something they could have prevented?

It's a tough toll on a parent, from a guilt standpoint and from a care giving standpoint. But to each their own. We all are ultimately responsible for our own fates.

cce1302

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Back down south
    ABSOLUTELY...... call any pediatrician, or any doctor, for that matter, and ask about the noise/concussion to a fetus if mom is shooting, or even too close to a shooter, and the inhaled lead as well. I have a soon -to-be student who has pushed back her training for exactly those reasons. I told her I'd have to have a note from her doc to let her shoot while she's pregnant.

That's when you have to be smart enough to select another health care provider.

The 2 posts above seem to go together pretty well. As I said above, my wife shot during 3 pregnancies (after her doctors said it was fine) and no harm came to our children.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Outdoor ranges are much better. I think the focus was on indoor ranges. We aren't talking about lead residue from handling a bullet (although if you don't have to, don't), but vaporized lead in the air that occurs due to the heat from friction that bullets endure as they are fired. When children are developing is when they are the most susceptible. They don't have developed livers to filter harmful substances out, even though their mothers largely do that for them. That's what we are talking about. It's why chemicals are so dangerous for unborn babies. Their bodies are much smaller than ours, so their absorption levels are much higher.

I would consider it a small and temporary cost to help my unborn child's health in the positive direction. I am guessing you know no one who has had a child with defects due to something they could have prevented?

It's a tough toll on a parent, from a guilt standpoint and from a care giving standpoint. But to each their own. We all are ultimately responsible for our own fates.

Like I said, if you truly feel this way, then if your wife becomes pregnant you have a moral obligation to sell your guns, get rid of all shooting paraphenalia (ever think about what might be in your bore brush and solvent?) and raise your kid. It's just not safe to have any potential source of contamination in the house.

RCB

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 17, 2009
    Near Bedford
    Like I said, if you truly feel this way, then if your wife becomes pregnant you have a moral obligation to sell your guns, get rid of all shooting paraphenalia (ever think about what might be in your bore brush and solvent?) and raise your kid. It's just not safe to have any potential source of contamination in the house.

I have been driving for a long time and have never needed my seat belt. I have also known dozens of people that used to drink and drive every weekend without incident. Using the same reasoning, most people never have to pull their weapons in self defense. I was recently mocked for wearing a respirator while laying fiberglass. They had been doing it for 20 years and never wore a respirator. That's fine, but 5 years ago I had a friend who died from the pulips that formed from fiberglass.

While many people like to paint things in black and white, there are many precautions that you can take, that are the slightest of inconveniences, to enrich and ensure your well being and those around you without impacting your life. I advocate wisdom. Having guns serve a vital need for self defense, particularly for those of us in rural areas. I would hope you could see the reasoning behind using a pinch of precaution, but we have to make our own choices.

And with regards to solvents, I use them outside or in the barn. It can destroy brain cells and cause respiratory issues. Personally, I like to keep my wit intact. Takes me a few minutes to change location and I feel better without sniffing solvent fumes and the smell doesn't linger in the house, nor do I risk ruining finish on our dinning room table. :) Not that it's ever happened before. :D

Last edited:

josh64

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 26, 2009
    After the ears are developed it may not be a good idea to go to the range when pregnant. The flesh and liquids surrounding baby may only dampen the soundwaves slightly if at all, and harm may ensue. Many women can relate how their baby jumped at each shot they fired when pregnant.

just my .02

Glock21

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    IL

As pointed out, there is a huge difference between having solid lead near, around, or even touching a child, and vaporizing that same lead, then having an expectant mother breathe it in and dump it directly into the babies blood stream.

If dad goes to the range, then he needs to wash his hands, and dump his clothes in the washer himself. If mom wants to go, fine - but it should be outdoors, and she may even want to consider a dust mask. She'll need to wash her hands and face very well, and I'd recommend a shower as soon as she gets home.

Personally, if it was 100-years ago, I probably wouldn't worry about it either. The problem here today is multi-leveled. Children are exposed to more toxins, less fresh air, **** poor food loaded with preservatives, mercury fillings, chemicals in their water, and over 50 vaccinations in some cases. Adding even a small amount of lead during gestation might be all that's needed to cause the birth defect or learning disability.

When 1 in 100-200 boys develop autism these days, I'd opt for playing the lead issue with at least a little bit of caution. The worst that can happen is my hands and clothes are cleaner.

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    As an RSO would any of you ask a woman if she was pregnant?
    If she was, would you ask her to leave an outdoor range?

(I know my answer, but am curious)

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Any pro/cons experience or just thoughts on ladies being pregnant and going to the firing range to shoot a shotgun and a 22 rifle?

What kind of hearing protection do you put on the unborn? Muffs? Seems like those expanding foam plugs would not stay rolled up small long enough to get them in.

Jay

Gotta watch us old guys.....cause if you don't....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2008
    Near Marion, IN
    If not sure of condition, I wouldn't ask. If she was obviously showing, I'd express my concerns, but being pregnant wouldn't be grounds to ask her to leave. Range owners may ask for a release to be signed, but that's their call not mine..... as an RSO. On my private range,I would require a doctor's statement first. I'm a grandfather.

Top Bottom