• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Gordy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 28, 2013
    Newton Co.
    The problem with trapping comes into play when you have dogs and cats and they find them. Closing your coop at night and then going out to set traps becomes a pain. Most chicken herders only let them range during daylight hours. Getting an electronic caller also helps draw them in when you have time to hunt. Predators are smart and learn when the meals are being served. Most people don't have time to sit around all day and wait. I feel your pain. Predators are a huge problem so hunt them and always have a program to propagate your flock. At any given time we have about 120-150 chickens in various growth cycles. It has become a necessity. With thousands of acres of farm land around and state game preserves, there are plenty of coyotes.

DanVoils

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    50 BMG ??? Really? I've got to see pics of that....
    article-1215443-068C41C5000005DC-841_964x606.jpg

Valvestate

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2012
    NWI

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    I can hear them at night, but haven't seen one in years [on the south-side of Indy].

That said, fairly certain that even if I was dispatching a Coyote I'd be in trouble for discharging a firearm within the city limits.

horsehaulin

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 12, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    When I called the DNR they advised on private land no license or other requirements as they are nuisance and causing damage to my livestock. Long story short he said not an issue if you dispatch them.

I dispatched three deer for stomping my chickens several years ago. Anything that is a nuisance, be it deer, fox, or any other animal.

If help is needed, I will bring a few rifles and we can dial them in while hitting moving targets.

PapaScout

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jun 30, 2008
    Live in Wilbur, Work in Indy
    We kept goats for several years and hog fence staked to the ground halfway between posts as the first layer of protection. Electric wire run a foot apart on the outside as the second layer worked great to keep the coyotes away.

It watched the goats 24/7 where I couldn't.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I'd go with #4 buck minimum on shotgun. Yotes can take a pounding.
    Having said that, .223 seems to slam 'em into the dirt pretty hard, dare I say it............maybe too much power for Wile E inside 150 yards.

Cuz hit onside shoulder, not broadside, so exit was a little ways behind off side. Yote went down with quite a bit of stuff hanging out the exit.

D was 75 yards on the move. Load was V max 55 gr Hornady.

ru44mag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    I skimmed quickly, but .223 is an excellent choice, if you use hollow points. I would use .223 over shotgun, unless you know you will be shooting under 30 yards.

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    Is there open season on Yotes?

On public land, NO. (follows furbearer hunting/trapping season, mid Oct. - end of Feb or mid Mar. I guess you could argue self-defense vs a nuisance animal... not sure about that though)
    However, on PRIVATE land you are good to go year round IF they are nuisance animal. Legally you should be land owner or have his/her written permisison. I don't think the DNR is extremely worried about yotes getting shot, but they do have to put in their due diligence and you might be the guy that gets in trouble for not following regulations if someone calls it in.

Also, no caliber/weapon restrictions for nuisance animals.

To original question -- shotgun is great IF you are close enough, but I agree with most others that responded, the 223 is a more versatile choice. I prefer 243, but that's really more than what is needed.

Also, I agree with others that a trap can be very effective, although you may catch some non-target species.

I'd be glad to help out and come blast some yotes, where are you at? PM me if you want some back-up sometime

Brown86

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 14, 2011
    I've been looking into a .17 hmr and was wondering if you guys think that has what it takes for coyotes. i'm just looking for a small game rifle but i've seen a lot of pics of ppl using them coyote hunting. i have a 223 so its not a question of which cal. to get just wondering about the .17 hmr for coyotes.

jwh20

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 22, 2013
    Hamilton County Indi
    I've been looking into a .17 hmr and was wondering if you guys think that has what it takes for coyotes. i'm just looking for a small game rifle but i've seen a lot of pics of ppl using them coyote hunting. i have a 223 so its not a question of which cal. to get just wondering about the .17 hmr for coyotes.

Here are the ballistics for .17 HMR:

17 HMR Ballistics Chart & Drop Table GunData.org

At 100 yds you have 1700+ fps and 140 ft-lbs of energy. Compare that to .223:

.223 Ballistics Chart & Coefficient GunData.org

Where at 100 yds you have 929 ft-lbs. of energy.

Is 140 ft-lbs enough to drop a coyote? I'd say yes, with a reasonably good shot at least. Hit him in the hind-quarters and he'll probably limp off and die later.

But that's more energy than a .22 LR has at the muzzle.

Top Bottom