• ...and so much more!
  • DocIndy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Mar 30, 2010
    Franklin
    There is a guy on the 458 SOCOM forum that is powder coating cast bullets with pretty impressive results.

Snizz1911

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 8, 2013
    there are vids on you tube. seems like a lot of trouble, am I missing the benefits?

Smoke. Especially in competition. I don't mind just standing and shooting at a range but in competition a few quick shots can distort your vision to a target quickly.

kevinsr98

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   1
    Feb 12, 2011
    Does "powder coating" = "moly coating" ? I have shot moly coated bullets from BB and BBI. They are awesome, it would be great if I could do them myself.

Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Mishawaka
    I wouldn't mind coating them but only if I weren't sizing them. I figure if I run them through the sizer I might as well use my Lyman 450 lubrasizer.

Ideally if they were for a low volume bolt rifle I would jump right in to doing it but then again from what I understand I would still have to keep them at a lower velocity. Correct me if i'm wrong.

Darn cool process from what I've watched on YouTube.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    To summarize the the benefits of powder-coating cast bullets in a single short forum post isn't possible, there is a thread ~70 pages long on castboolits dedicated to it.

But I will try with some of the major benefits.
    A) powder coat replaces the need for lube.
    B) powder coat virtually eliminates leading problems from incorrect sizing or poor alloy choices. This means you don't have to do so much work in determining what alloys work best for what gun etc.
    C) The powder coat encapsulates the bullet reducing lead exposure and "lead-smoke".
    D) Bullet hardness doesn't matter as much in hotter loads and you can drive your bullets faster than bare-base cast bullets (still not quite as high as you could with gas-checks.
    E) You can color code your bullets for certain reasons, be it alloy, weight, style, or just because you want to.

Another interesting thing that is because discussed is low alloys of copper. It does a lot of the same things above but a slightly different properties and much easier to do (add ~.5% copper into your alloy and cast away).

FWIW, I have the whole setup for powder coating my bullets but I haven't gotten around to it yet. Just too busy...

Top Bottom