• ...and so much more!
  • bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    As a public ground hunter, I can pass along that the last thing I want to do is trespass. Please mark your trees so that those like myself can easily follow the lines, without accidentally drifting.

I have never seen purple marked trees. Have seen and followed the orange painted lines, marked by the DNR. They do a very good job of making sure the next tree up the line can be seen and visa versa. No guessing involved.

What procedure would purple marked property owners like followed for a blood trail leading on to their property?

jerrob

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 1, 2013
    Cumberland Plateau
    I can only answer for myself. I would like the same consideration I give in that situation, I find the owner, if possible, and knock on their door and respectfully ask permission. I've been told different things like, "get off their property", I'll take ya back to look for it" and "go ahead and look for it"..................it just depends on them.
    I used to hunt Morgan-Monroe State Forest, on the country lines, right off Low Gap Rd. for a couple decades and it wasn't unheard of for one to make it to private property as I hunted very close, trying to catch them returning to bedding areas.
    Most landowners aren't anti hunting A holes, they just don't want to be disrespected by trespassing. It's their property, it's their rules and to violate it is not only a dick move, its illegal.

Quiet Observer

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    St. John
    How much of the general public is aware of the purple paint law? I did a quick search, and it does not appear to be in all states. In some states it has started in the past 4 - 5 years. I am not a farmer, nor have I gone hunting for several years. I have done some walking in state parks. Many now mark trails with various colors. Depending on the terrain and tramped down ground, I might follow a purple marked "trail". I am colorblind. Depending on the tone or fading, I might not recognize the mark as purple. Purple can appear as dark blue to me.

jerrob

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 1, 2013
    Cumberland Plateau
    How much of the general public is aware of the purple paint law? I did a quick search, and it does not appear to be in all states. In some states it has started in the past 4 - 5 years. I am not a farmer, nor have I gone hunting for several years. I have done some walking in state parks. Many now mark trails with various colors. Depending on the terrain and tramped down ground, I might follow a purple marked "trail". I am colorblind. Depending on the tone or fading, I might not recognize the mark as purple. Purple can appear as dark blue to me.
    Nevertheless, it's still the law, just because it's signage has been misinterpreted or misunderstood, changes nothing. I've been on both sides as landowner and someone who doesn't own property I want to access and being the latter sucks. If ya put yourself in the land owner's shoes, would you want strangers or acquaintances accessing and using land that you paid for as their own? Maybe spend your weekend cleaning up the mess they've left behind and replace items damaged may change one's perspective.
    Ignorance of the law is not an excuse or a defense.

sugarcreekbrass

Expert
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 29, 2015
    West central
    I've found that most people don't know about the rules concerning navigable/non navigable. I've got a creek that runs under the road and we get some people going down there once in awhile. I usually walk over and just let them know that someone does own it and is watching it. As long as they're polite (which they've always been) I tell them to enjoy and leave it like they found it. I haven't had any problems yet thankfully. I'd be a heck of a lot more protective if it were hunting ground though.
    This property is for hunting. My stepson and in laws will also be building on it as well. Ours is in the beginning stages. It will be our own family compound! The problem I have with the creek is that no matter where someone accesses it, they have to trespass on someone to get there. I agree, most people do not know the differences between types of water. I have asked if this type of thing can be shared with the public, even if it was in the DNR emails people get.

duanewade

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 12, 2019
    Columbia City
    As a public ground hunter, I can pass along that the last thing I want to do is trespass. Please mark your trees so that those like myself can easily follow the lines, without accidentally drifting.

I have never seen purple marked trees. Have seen and followed the orange painted lines, marked by the DNR. They do a very good job of making sure the next tree up the line can be seen and visa versa. No guessing involved.

What procedure would purple marked property owners like followed for a blood trail leading on to their property?

As a landowner and a hunter knowing that a whitetail can run quite a distance after a good shot, if you came to my door and told me that you had a wounded deer run onto my property I would let you go find it or even help you track it. I have neighbors that would not let you. Then your recourse is to call the DNR or sheriff

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    What if a public ground hunter has a blood trail leading on to your property and has no idea where your house might be or how many miles of hiking to get to it?

Skirting your marked line, how long would it take a hunter to come upon your house? Would the hunter have to go to more than one house to find you?

What if a public ground hunter elected to field dress a downed animal just inside of your property line?

sugarcreekbrass

Expert
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 29, 2015
    West central
    Part of the hunter's responsibility is to know the boundaries of the land they have permission to hunt. It would be very helpful to also know the neighboring landowners. I always contact the neighboring owners before season begins. We have always worked it out that we contact one another before going across property lines to track a wounded deer. This way we know if someone is on the property and can even lend a hand if needed. Some of the neighbors don't care and will let me go without calling them. I know some neighbors aren't very neighborly. If some one doesn't let you onto their property, you can contact a CO. They can then go ask for you, but the landowner can still stay no. At that point you have done all you can.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    What if a public ground hunter has a blood trail leading on to your property and has no idea where your house might be or how many miles of hiking to get to it?

Skirting your marked line, how long would it take a hunter to come upon your house? Would the hunter have to go to more than one house to find you?

What if a public ground hunter elected to field dress a downed animal just inside of your property line?

With mapping apps that show property ownership being readily available and relatively inexpensive and most counties having free online access to their plat books, those are really weak excuses.

Quiet Observer

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    St. John
    Nevertheless, it's still the law, just because it's signage has been misinterpreted or misunderstood, changes nothing. I've been on both sides as landowner and someone who doesn't own property I want to access and being the latter sucks. If ya put yourself in the land owner's shoes, would you want strangers or acquaintances accessing and using land that you paid for as their own? Maybe spend your weekend cleaning up the mess they've left behind and replace items damaged may change one's perspective.
    Ignorance of the law is not an excuse or a defense.
    I was searching for information, not criticizing the right of landowners to protect their land. I hunted dove with a couple of buddies when we were stationed in Tennessee. We had connections with a farmer and paid a token fee for the privilege of hunting his land in the late 1980s.
    What is done to let the general public, especially city folk, know about the purple? Does that information come with a hunting/fishing license? Are there PSAs on TV or in the newspaper? Is it mentioned in hunting magazines?
    I realize that regardless of the law, there will still be those who trespass, leave gates open, damage fences, or crops, injure stock, etc.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I'm still curious about how landowners adjacent to public grounds would have wounded game from public ground hunters handled? Especially when their home's location is not apparent and or realistic to hike to?

Tryin'

Victimized
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    I can't STAND trespassing. The law is not complicated, and anti-trespassing measures are not easy to overlook. "Why do you think all these trees are painted up, Justin?" "I dunno, Kyle, but seems like the woods look better over on the other side." "Yeah, I'm sure it's just somebody's old stand path markings. We better get a couple hundred yards over on the other side so we can shoot anything walking down this trail!"

I had a lease with some other dudes in Montgomery County that was getting quite a few visitors during the year. After I joined the lease, I would drive my squad out and park it conspicuously. Complaints tailed off after that.

If anyone in the Hamilton/Tipton/Howard/Boone/Clinton/etc area want an "official presence" during the season and consultation availability the rest of the year in exchange for hunting access, hit me up... :whistle::wavey:

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    I'm still curious about how landowners adjacent to public grounds would have wounded game from public ground hunters handled? Especially when their home's location is not apparent and or realistic to hike to?

Long hiking distance is not sufficient to give one permission to trespass. The only way the landowner's home location would be unknown is if no effort were made to find it. The OnX app is $29.99 per year and provides property boundaries and landowner contact info. Online plat books, which are available for almost every county, are free and provide the landowners name and home address. A little bit of time on Google will often turn up a phone number. Knocking on doors will also work if technology eludes the would be trespasser. If all else fails, a call to the local Conservation Officers will provide additional assistance.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Long hiking distance is not sufficient to give one permission to trespass. The only way the landowner's home location would be unknown is if no effort were made to find it. The OnX app is $29.99 per year and provides property boundaries and landowner contact info. Online plat books, which are available for almost every county, are free and provide the landowners name and home address. A little bit of time on Google will often turn up a phone number. Knocking on doors will also work if technology eludes the would be trespasser. If all else fails, a call to the local Conservation Officers will provide additional assistance.

I'm talking about NOT trespassing. Wouldn't going to knock on doors be trespassing?

Sounds like the thing to do for the public ground hunter with the predicament of a blood trail crossing the marked property line is to let the animal go? By the time one would get everything sorted out, there could be question of whether the meat is still viable?

Last edited:

Michigan Slim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2014
    Fort Wayne
    Pull up your county GIS map. Click on the property you need and WAMMO, the owners name pops up. Take a short drive and your in most times. Yeah Cletis, you can do it.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    As a landowner who has had significant issues with trespassing neighbors during hunting season, it seems like knowing the boundaries and who the neighboring landowners are BEFORE you shoot would be a good idea. We used to assist in tracking and recovery. In recent years, we changed that to no tracking on our property due to issues with neighbors taking that too far and shooting deer on our property.

Top Bottom