• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    You didn't just give up your right to content, you gave up ownership.

Entirely untrue. You still own your content, but you grant INGO LLC an irrevocable right to reproduce that material in perpetuity as it's obviously necessary for INGO (or any website forum) to exist. You still own all rights to your content. Here is an excerpt from INGO's Terms of Service:

By displaying or posting content on the Site, you hereby grant us a nonexclusive global license to publish the content submitted by you to the Site. You also grant us global nonexclusive adaptation and resale rights over any content and material submitted to the Site. These nonexclusive publishing license and resale/adaptation rights extend to any materials submitted within the Site, including both message board postings and content submitted for uploading and subsequent publishing within non-message board portions of the Site.

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    Entirely untrue. You still own your content, but you grant INGO LLC an irrevocable right to reproduce that material in perpetuity as it's obviously necessary for INGO (or any website forum) to exist. You still own all rights to your content. Here is an excerpt from INGO's Terms of Service:

I agree that the OP owns the thought but not the post. OWN: To acknowledge as one's own; recognize as having full claim, authority, power, dominion. The OP no longer has any of the four.

We are in Fenway's house and I try to treat it as if I am visiting a friend's house. If my friend is watching Wheel of Fortune and I prefer to watch Jeopardy. I have a few choices. I might ask to watch Jeopardy, sit back and watch Wheel of Fortune or go home. It's his house and his rules.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I agree that the OP owns the thought but not the post. OWN: To acknowledge as one's own; recognize as having full claim, authority, power, dominion. The OP no longer has any of the four.

I'm not going to argue intellectual property rights, but you're confusing a physical thing with an idea. You still own your content that you post. Photos, stories, even thoughts. You're still free to do whatever you want with them without asking INGO's permission, except where INGO's license to the content is affected. Entering into a contractual agreement with someone to borrow your content doesn't mean you no longer own it. In effect, you've lent the content to INGO so that INGO can repost it without risk of being sued by you for displaying it. The terms of the contract just say "no backsies", meaning that you agree to continue lending it until the contract is terminated by both parties.

To use your "physical thing" analogy, just because you borrow a book from the library doesn't mean that the library no longer owns the book.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    That is a fair question. If your content would place you in jeopardy of losing a job or making it impossible for you to gain employment; places you is some form of legal jeopardy; or your wife may ding out you bought a new rifle, we just may remove the content. However, please know that all context is subject to subpoena and even the unedited content can be seen.

The he reason we would not want to remove content is because it would probably make it difficult for readers to follow a thread, especially if it's the first post. Besides, if the post is edited, we may have to then edit other posts that have quotes you. Who wants to go through all of that? In the past, we have deleted entire threads, but the membership was no pleased with that, so we've tried to cease that practice.

Two points:

(red text) First , I have experienced this firsthand. I make the first response to a post, and a week later I'm suddenly owning that thread as the OP. Blew my mind at first until I realized what happened.

(Underlined) Second, I see you too post from an a iDevice. I thought that autocorrect typo was due to something I was doing.:dunno:

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    I'm not going to argue intellectual property rights, but you're confusing a physical thing with an idea. You still own your content that you post. Photos, stories, even thoughts. You're still free to do whatever you want with them without asking INGO's permission, except where INGO's license to the content is affected. Entering into a contractual agreement with someone to borrow your content doesn't mean you no longer own it. In effect, you've lent the content to INGO so that INGO can repost it without risk of being sued by you for displaying it. The terms of the contract just say "no backsies", meaning that you agree to continue lending it until the contract is terminated by both parties.

To use your "physical thing" analogy, just because you borrow a book from the library doesn't mean that the library no longer owns the book.

I'm not confused at all. I have stated that the idea may still be their own to what ever they want to do with but once the post is on the INGO forum, it is up to the INGO staff to do what is best for INGO. INGO has the virtual ownership of the post. If they feel the need to delete it for the best of the Forum then bye bye it goes even if the poster wants it still there. That does not fall under the same category as "Both parties agree to terminate". They do not need your permission, since you agreed to their terms when you joined.

If I borrow a book from the library and then delete the book that they loaned me I will have to pay for the book. You are talking physical ownership with the book so it doesn't fit.

Top Bottom