• ...and so much more!
  • Airborne33

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 18, 2010
    Colorado SPrings
    Fellow shooters,

So a few weeks ago, when I first got to town, I was looking to kill some time and possibly find an upper reciever for an AR that I was at the time still putting together. I Looked online to see what was close and Popguns (Correct me if I am wrong, my memory could serve me wrong, but they were also doing some rennovations) seemed convenient at the time and so I head on over.

It had not yet opened, but there was already a small line forming up outside, mostly for the indoor range I assume. Well I left my pistol in the car, because A) I didn't know if I felt like shooting at the time and B) I've been given hell before for carrying in a gun store - even with the handgun cleared.

So I walked in, there must have been about six of us in line and most of the customers went and got into the range and I continued to stroll about the place, seeing what they had and curiously leaning over the glass cases in an attempt to get a better look at their inventory. I consider myself to be a very patient person, hurry up and wait is a way of life it seems, so at no point did I feel it necessary to interrupt a salesman already working with a customer. I had a lot of questions, at the time had money burning a hole in my wallet, and after strolling around, looking at almost every product in their store, walked out without once being asked to be helped or even greeted.

Now this is a completely different experience than what I am used to. I am used to walking into a store and being greeted, regardless or how many people are being helped (nothing is more important than common courtesy, even buisness), and here I felt like I simply was being ignored and out of place.

Overall I want to know has this happened to anyone else? Does this sound like a simple fluke? I wasn't dressed like a bum, I didn't look like hell that day, if their defense they found ways to keep busy, but in this town shouldn't they approach me and ask to help and not the other way around? I feel like if I am asking for help, I am asking for a favor, when really it's the other was in my mind. I am doing them a favor by walking through their doors and not someone else's. I am doing them a favor by offering them my buisness. Well I guess that's how I see it.

Maybe I don't look the part of someone who is interested in shooting. I don't wear flanel, I don't look like a gangbanger, and I'm not over the same of 40 with NRA stickers all over the rear winsheild of my 1/2 ton truck spruced up with 14 shotguns laying in a rack in plain sight. I am a normal looking guy. I think.

Not really sure what to think. If this is the normal deal I guess I'll just have to adapt. If it was a fluke, I may someday give them another chance, it wont be before I give other places a shot at making a better first impression though.

Any thoughts? At the time I didn't know whether or not to feel insulted that they didn't seem to want my buisness. It's like going to a car dealership and watching salesmen walk past you to help someone else... like they think you don't have the funds to buy a car. Instead of having a good time looking at guns, I had a bad time feeling like I wasted my time.

I would say they had a fair arrangement of firearms to sell. I don't recall how things were priced, but I was looking mostly at AR rifles. Most of those looked decently priced. I don't mean to sound like I am trying to bash on this establishment, but I feel like if someone does a great job they should be praised, and if they do a terrible job it's my job as a member to tell my story and ask questsions.

Again.. thoughts?

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    I'm surprised you didn't walk out after seeing a few of the prices! That is pretty much the treatment I've received there as well. It's not worth the drive over there to me.

srcoley

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    Greenwood, IN
    I've never been to Popguns, but I've had similar treatment at Don's Guns. Which is okay with me, because their guns are highly overpriced.

Bradis Guns, on the other hand, has superb service. Granted I had to wait in line to purchase for 20-30 minutes(they were really busy), but I was greeted when I came in the door and assisted when I looked like I needed assistance.

Lucky for them, because I spent nearly 1k on just that one visit. They also discounted a couple of the items I purchased.

Olympic AR-15
    NcSTAR mount and dot sight
    and a few boxes of .223's

Here's a link to a Google map with their location.

Bradis Guns, Indianapolis, IN - Google Maps

Vince49

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 13, 2010
    Indy urban west.
    Plainfield Shooters Supply

I had almost the same experience but did finally get someones attention.However when I did not imediately purchase the gun I was looking at I was cut off and made to feel as if my very presence in their hallowed temple was merely being tolerated. Left. Went to Plainfield Shooters Supply in Plainfield which is closer to home anyway. Walking in there was like coming home to family and I had never been in there before.Very friendly,very knowledgeable and willing to let me look at and hold any gun I was interested in.Did not make an immediate purchase because Bob(the very crusty owner) talked me out of the one I was interested in and cited all the reasons why it would be a poor choice for me but did add that he would be perfectly willing to sell it to me if that's what I really wanted.Went home did some more research and found he was right on! Returned,and made my purchase.BTW he is MUCH lower in price than any of the 5 or 6 other stores I visited. You really will be doing yourself a diservice and probably pay more if you do not shop there before buying.

Airborne33

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 18, 2010
    Colorado SPrings
    I'll take that into account. As for prices go, I'm willing to spend a few extra bucks for good customer service, and good selection. I know places have to stay above water. It takes a little bit to impress me though. You either find a way to help me, or I'll find a way to help myself lol.

Airborne33

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 18, 2010
    Colorado SPrings
    I think I forgot to mention, what really got me, was that I must have been in there for atleast thirty or fourty minutes. I feel like if you are ever in a store that long without someone helping you, they probably are avoiding you and already called the cops lol.

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    Also try Beech Grove Guns (I think that's the name), I went there once and they were very friendly and helpful, or Elmore's. Both are closer to you than Pops.

Vince49

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 13, 2010
    Indy urban west.
    I'll take that into account. As for prices go, I'm willing to spend a few extra bucks for good customer service, and good selection. I know places have to stay above water. It takes a little bit to impress me though. You either find a way to help me, or I'll find a way to help myself lol.

You can do both there. They are always very busy( mostly LEO) as the are very near the ISP Academy, yet they have adequate staff and I have never had to wait.They also expect you to wander around and check out the goodies on your own. No pressure and no one looking over your shoulder. :rockwoot:

Vince49

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 13, 2010
    Indy urban west.
    I think I forgot to mention, what really got me, was that I must have been in there for atleast thirty or fourty minutes. I feel like if you are ever in a store that long without someone helping you, they probably are avoiding you and already called the cops lol.

Forgot to add. Go Army!! :patriot: :yesway:

HighStrung

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 5, 2010
    Pendleton
    I've had this treatment everytime I've been in Popguns. Had a couple quesitons and got snubbed on my asking (as in "if you don't know then you don't even need to be here") I do go back in every once in a while but it's only to look around, I won't be spending any money with them. On the other hand, I've had some amazing service from Bradis (near Mooresville) and Crackshot (opposite side of Indy near Anderson).

451_Detonics

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    North Central Indiana
    As the former owner of a gunshop I will say I made an effort to greet everyone who walked in whether I was already with a customer or not. First off it is a deterrent to shoplifters...by greeting them they know they already have your attention, second it does make customers feel welcome. I don't tolorate bad customer service and won't give my money to places that give bad customer service. To me it doesn't matter what you look like, you get treated the same if you are in crusty overalls or a suit. I live in a farming community and have worked as a car salesman as well. I was never surprised when a farmer with pig on his boots would pull out cash to buy a new truck.

Some gunshop owner seem to think they are the elite and that you have to earn their respect before they will give you decent service...I simply walk out of places like that.

IndyMonkey

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2010
    I consider myself an average looking joe and OC in gun shops....no one cares even when they have the stupid no loaded carry signs.

I would recommend TSG, Indy Trading post,PSS,Bradis,Beachgrove Firearms,Elmores and Premier Arms. I shop them all when I am in there side of town, all have great customer service.

Oh and NNSFA for any class III stuff.

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    What you encountered is actually a common complaint about PopGuns. Poor/no service, high prices, and sometimes frustration about getting into their small firing range.

You are actually in a fairly good location for gun shops. Some of the best in Indiana are within a very reasonable drive:
    -Plainfield Shooting Supply
    -Bradis
    -Beech Grove Firearms
    -Indy Trading Post

Check out "The Good, Bad & Ugly" section for gun shop reviews. The four above get very high marks. All will greet you, offer to help, and have very competitive prices. PopGuns tends to be one of the lowest regarded.

Last edited:

Rotor Talker

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 15, 2008
    Greenfield
    You aren't alone.....

Popguns preys on the firearms ignorant, that's where they make their money, those who have no idea about firearms.

I said it yesterday and will say it again, if they hate their jobs and customers, as much as it appears, they should close up and go do whatever else.

Really sad, the place has such potential, but the loser staff and their attitudes and behavior just completely ruins it.

OP, you are not alone, they treat everyone save the firearms ignorant that way, worst part is, they could care less.

Top Bottom