• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Scott58

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2022
    NW indiana
    It really depends. I'm pretty much a 1911 guy, but I gotta say my Ruger SR22 is one of my favorites. Cheap to shoot, accurate, almost no recoil. Just a great fun gun. Having said that though, when its for serious business I'm taking a 1911 over my CZ or Glock. Probably just more used to it.

Fallschirmjaeger

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 9, 2014
    Noblesville
    For me, it’s not so much the material, it’s whatever the platform is. For example, I LOVE the 1911 platform as a general rule and shoot them quite well. But the gun I shoot the absolute best out of everything I own is a polymer frame HK USP45 Tactical. I don’t really care about the composition of the handgun so much as I care about how well it performs. YMMV

92FSTech

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 24, 2020
    North Central
    For a working gun, I don't care. I'm more concerned about the action and reliability than what the frame is made out of. I'd rather not have a steel frame on a carry gun as that's a lot of unnecessary weight, but alloy or polymer are fine.

For a "fun" gun that I am just going to enjoy taking to the range and tinkering with, I do prefer metal frames. There's something about fine tolerances and machining that warms the heart in a way that stamped sheet metal and plastic just can't do.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I have seen what old plastic does on cars.. no way I want THAT on my guns.

Lulz. Are we pretending that double charges, etc. are because of "old plastic" or that metal guns survive it?

image00002-jpg.305986

Woopsie.

Anyway, I own and use both with no strong preference.

S

skretsinger

I prefer metal, it's just a preference and I know the poly and black guns are all the thing, but I just like the older classics.

ECS686

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Brazil
    Something about a blued steel with wood grips I love.

That said while you can cherry pick a pic of a KB Glock or whatever (some humans would break an anvil with a sponge if you left them alone for 5 minutes) polymer is a great gun for any serious carry and duty use the durability, lightweight and dependability is hard to beat.

BigMoose

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Found this pic online. Dude blew up a Super Blackhawk. That takes some effort! It doesn't matter how strong you build a gun, or what you make it out of, somebody out there will inevitably do something dumb enough to dynamically disassemble it.

revboom1903.jpg
    Revolvers are their own ball of wax, got one with indexing screwed up.. BAD

BigMoose

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Here is the rub. Go look at an 80s or 90s chevy. Or more in particular, attempt to disassemble the plastic parts (like the dash, etc) on that car.. yeah. Your not dissembling any of that stuff. Plastic that used to be supple, will just SNAP... if you attempt to take anything in a car that old apart that is plastic, it will come out in snapped shards. (Any car Mechanic will know that I am talking about)

What happens to these wonder polymer pistols after decades?
    Old plastic gets BRITTLE..

Also the cold.. COLD PLASTIC GETS BRITTLE. look what happened to Mahome's wonder helmet in the freeze bowl..
    1707016779708.jpeg

Top Bottom