• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gunman41mag

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 1, 2011
    SOUTH of YOU
    Just bought one, in a hard case with two mags, a 30 round & 20 round, scope mount with scope, fiber glass stock, bayonet lug & a flashider in excellent shape, but I paid too much, cause I wanted it, cost me $900 + shipping(once it's weight has been determined)

SaintsNSinners

Shooter
    Rating - 94.1%
    16   1   0
    Mar 3, 2012
    At Work in Indy
    They are not bad, only downside is crazy chicom sizing so us made parts might need finessing to fit. That being said

I am a Springfield M1A guy but if I could find a nice local poly tech I would buy it..

Good snag there price seems more on the you got a deal side.. M1As are going crazy now and with all it included you came out well

gunman41mag

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 1, 2011
    SOUTH of YOU
    This will be my 2nd poly tech, the first one I bought was in factory box, flash hider, one 20 round mag, & a bayonet in excellent condition for $650

g+16

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 8, 2009
    from what I've seen avertised and from auctions (outside of shipping) you did pretty good on sale price. A friend of mine had one some years ago and sent it off (and I can't remember where) to have it gone thur and checked. I'm sure someone here can tell ya a good place.

x10

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Martinsville, IN
    There was a time when they were accused of recievier stretch after a small number of rounds, I don't know how true it was but after owning a springfield I would rather hold out for a springfield than take 2nd best

torque_and_recoil

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 3, 2011
    South Central Indiana
    There was a time when they were accused of recievier stretch after a small number of rounds, I don't know how true it was but after owning a springfield I would rather hold out for a springfield than take 2nd best

The Polytech receivers are forged, not cast like the Springfields. I'm not sure how much practical difference it makes, though.

My understanding is that some Polytech bolts were bad, not the receivers. It probably wouldn't hurt to get a USGI bolt (while you can still find them!) to keep as a spare.

I built up a rifle using a Polytech receiver and a USGI parts kit from TreelineM14. I couldn't be happier with the result.

Tomfoolery

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Auburn IN
    Polytech bolts weren't hardened is the real problem. You can have the bolt hardened or you can buy a USGI bolt to replace it. From my understanding using a USGI bolt requires minor use of a dremill. Nothing major though. I have a friend who has a love affair M14s and he highly recs the Polytechs with only slight modifications.

Good rifle, good buy.

gunman41mag

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 1, 2011
    SOUTH of YOU
    Those that had problems were the NORINCO M-14, they weren't heat treated

HavokCycle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 10, 2012
    Zionsville
    how much did you spend? i saw Poly-tech going for 1400 at the last local show

many years ago my old man bought a Norinco M14 for a few hundred. id trade him anything i own for it but he won't budge. i wish he bought a dozen of em. tough as nails.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    In this market I think you did OK.

This is a Polytech redone by Warbirds in Texas. Just ensure the correct height front post is installed on your rifle.:D

M14-M1A

1255351896.jpg

Sgt7330

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 25, 2011
    Rush Co.
    I have heard good things about Polytech around some other forums, dont let the bashing start just yet. As stated above, check the headspace either on your own or by a riflesmith. You can take the bolt out and look for any cracks or major wear. Look on the CMP forum and M14 forum for good info.

I used info, pics and video on there when I built my Fulton M14.
    picture.php

I think your price is a good deal, just go through the rifle and check the headspace, bolt, barrel and gas system (may need shimmed, may not). Study, learn on the sites, get the book on building an M14 (mine was from Fulton), and HAVE FUN,shoot it!!

Loc n load

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2013
    Poly's

I bought one back in the 90's when they came into the country, I have shot it quite a bit, and have never had any kind of problems with it....I replaced the wood stock with a M-14 fiberglass.....I have heard all kinds of "horror stories" regarding the bolts, etc......so a few years back I tore down three of my Springfield armory M1A's, a M1A that I had built out of USGI components and the poly.....I put the bolts into separate bags, numbered them and took them to a machine shop and had them tested for hardness.....for all practical purposes the bolts all were within the same hardness range. I would enjoy your new rifle and shoot it.

Loc n load

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2013
    Poly's

I have had good service from my Poly, and know several shooter's that have them. I know that the testing of the five bolts that I ran is not conclusive, but simply representative of those rifles on hand.

ben992

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 16, 2011
    Spencer County
    They were soft, even though forged. Send it to Smith have them heat treat it and you have a forged m14 that exceeds that of a M1A with some other mods. If you hate it--send it to me, I hate to see a guy hate his rifle. :)

gunman41mag

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 1, 2011
    SOUTH of YOU
    how much did you spend? i saw Poly-tech going for 1400 at the last local show

many years ago my old man bought a Norinco M14 for a few hundred. id trade him anything i own for it but he won't budge. i wish he bought a dozen of em. tough as nails.
    bought the first one during the ban & paid $650 mint in box with a bayonet, a 20 round mag, flash hider with bayonet lug & the one i bought now has a fiberglass stock, scope mount with a simmons scope, a 30 & 20 round mag, flash hider with bayonet lug, a hardcase paid $900

Top Bottom