• How clean is your grill?

• Total voters

AZ Hunter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 20, 2010
    Tucson, AZ
    I turn the grill on high and get it nice and hot. Scrape the grill with a wire brush. Cook food, shut off gas and cover grill. The food marinates the grill until the next cook time.

Side note....I do a thorough cleaning once a year. Grease trap clean, grates a good cleaning, swap the grates around because I only use the right side, and clean out the bottom bay as it builds up with junk over time.

RyanV

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    La Porte County
    I try to keep it as clean as possible. A clean grate makes it easier to cook and keeps more delicate food from sticking, like fish or some vegetables.

gunman41mag

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 1, 2011
    SOUTH of YOU
    This evening I was grilling some chops when The Boss came out to see how long it would be until they were done. Opened up the lid to check them and she makes a comment about the amount of stuff that was built up on the grates. I got to thinking that as far as I know, I don't think I've ever cleaned our grill, and we've had it about 3 years now. I use it year round, minimum of once a week so there's quite a bit of build up. There's been several discussions in the past about grills, but I don't think there has ever been one about how clean (or not) our grills are. I thought it would be interesting to see what all the gurus of the grill here have to say on the matter. So, anyway, how often do you clean your grill?
    Here's the choices:
    1. Never, never, never.
    2. Once in a great while, like once a year in spring to get it ready for the year.
    3.Occasionally, a couple or four times over the spring, summer, and fall.
    4. Regularly, once a month or so.
    5.Often, maybe every other time I use it but not every time.
    6. Every time, always.

Oh yes, the chops were nom, nom, nom good!:D

My grill is always clean, cause my wife is the one that use the grill, only time I get near the grill is when I have to take the tank in for a refill:D

spec4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 19, 2010
    NWI
    Once a year I take the grates off and scrape off as much grease as I can. For regular use, heat it up, scrape the grates with a brush and good to go.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I scrape off the crud before every use, and preheat it to at least 400-500 for a minute first to kill anything off. Normally it's just a quick once over with the wire brush and the heat. The only time I changed the pan in the bottom is when the lid slipped out of my hands and slammed close so hard the rusted out bottom piece just collapsed and fell off. I bought a new piece of sheet metal and fit it up and now it's back to 100%. Beyond that, my grill recieves no special love.

Andre46996

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Hammond
    Every spring it gets disassembled and cleaned and power washed.

Every time I use it before cooking it gets cranked up and the grates wire brushed till they sparkle.

Lower pan gets dumped once a month or so.

Outside gets cleaned every time it rains after the first spring cleaning.

badwolf.usmc

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2011
    2 hourse SE of Chicago
    No matter how well i take care of a grill, they only seem to last about 3 years so i don't even bother cleaning or maintaining them anymore. I clean the grate right before i use it, other than that i let mother nature keep it clean.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    No matter how well i take care of a grill, they only seem to last about 3 years so i don't even bother cleaning or maintaining them anymore. I clean the grate right before i use it, other than that i let mother nature keep it clean.

^This!

Even the people I know who have bought "nice" expensive grills are having to repair them or trash them for a whole new one within 3 to 5 years now anyway. I look at a grill as a disposable item any more.

The one I have that I replaced the bottom pan on is getting to be around 5 years old. When the bottom pan rusted out, I couldn't get any replacement parts so I had to go to town on some sheet metal. Now the little "V" things covering the burners are so rusted out there isn't even much point in having them to begin with. Can't even remember how long it's been since push button electric start has worked. If I wasn't such a cheap arse I'd have bought a new one a year ago.

Zephri

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 12, 2008
    Indianapolis, Northside.
    Only time I've cleaned our grill was when the burner rusted out and I had to replace it, our grill is around 20 or so years old and still going strong.

Other than that and a scrape here and there with a wire brush, never.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    My grill was clean until about a few minutes ago when I noticed a couple of wasps flying around it. Verified a nest inside, and I am sure I got some environmentalists angry because I sprayed the heck out of it with wasp spray.

I lost a friend to a wasp or bee sting, and I don't care to have those guys building their nest where I prepare my food!

hoosierdaddy1976

I Can't Believe it's not Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Mar 17, 2011
    newton county
    my old grill had cast iron grates, those would get brushed and sprayed with oil regularly to keep seasoned. new grill has the traditional enameled wire grates, they'll get scraped when they get hot, quick shot of oil, and ready to go.

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    I fire up the grill to full tilt and let everything get nice and hot. Then I break out the brush and clean off the grill surface, and oil it before cooking. I NEVER use the scraper. That cost me a new grilling surface because it knocked off the protective coating on the grill, then the heat started working on the steel underneath until it fell apart. Now I only use the brush.

anyway, after Im done cooking, I let the grill run again at full tilt for 5 or 10 minutes to get everything nice and hot again, and burn up all the left overs, then kit it with the brush again. Has worked great for me!

Top Bottom