• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cowboy1629

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 8, 2010
    West Central Indiana
    Picked this up a couple of weeks ago at Plainfield Shooting Supplies. It's a model 66-3, I had been looking for a 4" no lock Smith for a while. This one came from Fort Wayne Police Department and is stamped on the left side just below the cylinder FWPD. It is nice and tight. Barrel looks almost new so probably more holster time than range time. Wood is in pretty good shape too, right grip shows a little more ware than the left. They don't make them like this anymore.

Loaded up some 38's and light 357's for it and it shoots great!

66-3.jpg

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    I like the S&W K frames. When IPD went from 66s the 586/686s you could buy 2.5" and 4" S&Ws for around $200-250! I went through several of them. Now it's rare to see one in a shop. A little flitz and elbow grease while you're watching tv and that Smiff will look new. ;)

deanald2pt0

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    NW Indy
    If you dont' mind me asking, what are those going for now? I had a coworker asking questions about buying a handgun the other day. You know the type, doesn't want to spend any money and isn't really going to shoot it much, but think they need a gun now for what ever impending doom reason.

SAILORGOLF46

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Feb 14, 2012
    Greenwood
    I also have a 66 stamped mcsd- Marion County Sherrifs Dept. I called Smith they told me it was shipped to them 7/87. What is it worth?. It is not for sale though, I have a grand son it will go to.

Ryan281

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Feb 28, 2012
    Good find. I just picked up an old, blue, Ruger Security 6 that is just begging to be shot. It has hoster wear, but the timing is good. enjoy!

STEEL CORE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Fishers
    I have a 2nd Gen Glock-22, sn#MC173SD, my issue was MC092SD. Wonder where that one ended up after me, but glad I have one just like it with the Sheriffs Dpt star on the side.

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    Great gun

I bought the one I was issued when IPD switched to the 9MM Berettas. One big step for me, one huge step backwards for them. It's a great shooting gun. A full house .357 really turns heads when you touch it off at the range, too. Especially at an indoor range! :D

lonnie58

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 23, 2010
    Danville
    Great find, they don't make them like that anymore. I didn't know that the police departments did that anymore. My neighbor is a Dep. Sheriff and he says they turn their guns into the Feds when they are done with them just like the confiscated ones. And besides, they mostly use Glocks and I'm a 1911 type of guy.

JBI812

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jan 28, 2012
    East side Indianapol
    I've owned a few old police duty revolvers. Marion County, New York PD, and Hampton PD and they are fine handguns if they haven't been abused. All of them sold for around 400.00 at local shows.

Interesting........I bought a Ruger GP100 (357/38) stainless, marked with an asset number from State of Tennessee, Department of Corrections, in a penny auction. Seems they received a larger order of handguns and started engraving the asset number and realized that had the wrong handgun. They couldn't return the ones already engraved so they had the Ruger Distributon in Alabama sell them via on-line auction. I got one for 250.00 and 25.00 transfer fee. It was new and never been fired.

I also bought a 9 mm Walther P1 trade in from a police department in Europe for 199.00. It looks great and shoots perfectly. Talking about fall in a pit and coming out smelling like a rose.

SAILORGOLF46

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Feb 14, 2012
    Greenwood
    Does any one know when the Marion County Sherriff"s dept quit carring S&W wheel guns? I have a mod 66 stamped mcsd with the star. S&W csr told me it was shipped to them 7-1987, any help? thanks

Top Bottom