• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jrainw

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 20, 2008
    Morgan county
    The neighbor called us in today, it wasn't the .50 or the machine gun, it was the tannerite that spooked him. The officer who visited with us was great, very respectful and just doing his job. I offered for him to inspect the firearms and he replied "as long as there wasn't anything automatic over there he didn't need to see them." He kind of laughed and shook his head when I told him there was a registered M16 in the back of the SUV and offered to get it for him. It was a positive introduction to how the law should work for my 14 year old, who enjoyed telling the officer that she detonated the tannerite with the .308 rifle.

Well, she is a great shot.:)

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    lol I would like to have seen your daughter saying that to the officer. :D

You may want to visit your neighbor and explain him/her what you are doing and such, especially if he/she can hear explosions, just to explain that it's safe and legal.
    If I didn't know about those stuff I would probably freak out too and call the police.
    You could be a terrorist trying some new explosives in the backyard you know.

mr.steve

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 21, 2012
    Plymouth
    Tannerite...I hadn't known of such a thing. :D

My mind is whirling with possibilities... think zombies in the yard and a few "flower pots" and a rifle, Hmm... :ar15:

jrainw

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 20, 2008
    Morgan county
    I offered to let him shoot but he had more to do and wouldn't be off duty for a while.
    The neighbor is a real piece of work. Last year my brother picked up a bunjee cord out of the road at the end of our driveway and the neighbor came down to tell dad how little he thought of us because we would steal his bunjee cord.(from the road!) We obviously didn't respect people's property. Been our neighbor for 40 years and has always been that way. I'll send him a letter before we shoot next time with an explanation of tannerite and an invitation to call the police, they are welcome any time.

dak109

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 26, 2009
    Brown County
    I am hurt... really hurt. You didn't invite me:D

Most of the LEO for the county here are pretty cool about guns. I have shot with a few of them. I can't believe he didn't take you up on the offer.

When are we getting together so I can try out the 50? I finally got my can:rockwoot:

Tactical Flannel

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 28, 2012
    West Central Indiana
    Glad to hear of the good encounter.
    Truth be told, I believe most encounters with rural law enforcement are more positive than negative where firearms are concerned.
    Its just the negative ones seem so spectacular since they are only fractions of the total of firearms related encounters. Just like media stories rarely focus on the warm and fuzzy.
    Enjoy the shooting with little one. They growup fast.

Stay safe

Beau

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Colorado
    I have a simply stunning idea for Tannerite. I am amazed that I have not seen video of my idea already. I would love to share it with you but you will have to wait for the video.

dak109

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 26, 2009
    Brown County
    Okay, I now know which LEO was called out. I am not surprised he didn't partake of the full auto goodness. Too far for him to walk. LOL.

Hillbillyblood

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 11, 2012
    LaPorte Indiana
    Great story!

Neighbors are great are they not. We moved to the county to get away from the BS of living in town. I can't even get away with shooting fireworks close to the 4th without criticism and cold shoulder. I could shoot them all year round. :xmad:

Sorry I ranted.....

Docjon

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 30, 2012
    I had two state police show up one time because a neighbor up the road had called about automatic fire. After I showed them my paperwork they spent about an hour looking at all my guns. They did mention that if there was ever a time they needed help they would call me. Now we are on very good terms.

dnewton3

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    Indy area
    Speaking from an LE perspective, there is a lot of ignorance that goes around concerning anything firearm related in the general community, and unfortunately at times that also carries into the LE community.

Most rural departments are a bit more "tolerant" and often have enthusiasts (as am I). Glad your experience was a positive one.

I might suggest that if you were pleased with the encounter, you call and commend the officer to his superior. We get LOTS of complaints; at times it's nice to be complimented.

Top Bottom