Police pull you over and you have a gun in the vehicle..

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Bloomington
    I have heard of common courtesy, and considering how uncommon it is these days, many of us choose to cover our butts. I totally respect your viewpoint and do not consider this to be a clear cut issue. So far on this forum the odds seem to be roughly 50/50 on bad versus good experiences. My point in replying to you 40, is so that maybe you reconsider that someone who doesnt tell you may not necessarily have something to hide. And I guess I just don't understand why its necessary to disarm someone who isnt going to cause trouble anyway. The guys who voluntarily get disarmed are very likely to be the ones who you didnt need to take a gun away from anyway. Thus, I don't bother bringing it up. I respect both sides of the debate, but feel like all things being weighed in, I will go my way. I won't bash your method, its not like if affects me what you do anyway. I just bring up my thinking for the sake of discussion. And I agree, lets get the LEOs to comment on this.

40calPUNISHER

Master
    Rating - 99.1%
    116   1   0
    Apr 23, 2008
    Josh i agree with what your saying too, if ur not the bad guy then there shouldnt be a problem - the police just do it for everyones protection.. i have a friend that is an ex-reserve and he said the training they receive on this subject was if the person tells you they have a sidearm and a permit, thats the perosn they dont need to worry about but if they dont tell you and you find out they are packing then the be on the alert... ill try to get him on here to throw down his 2 cents

Glock Lover

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Apr 23, 2008
    muncie
    You are exactly right .40
    If you don't mention a gun and I spot one my guard goes up....way up.
    If you are a law abiding citizen why do you need to hide it, just let me know, and I'll take care of business and send you on your way.
    I see a weapon you didn't tell me about, I wonder why you didn't tell me...I wonder if you want to hurt me....and that's not going to happen...I am going home to my family. That's why its common courtesy. A packing law abiding citizen is a good thing for me, just let me know so I don't think you're the bad guy.

Glock Lover

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Apr 23, 2008
    muncie
    I have heard of common courtesy, and considering how uncommon it is these days, many of us choose to cover our butts. I totally respect your viewpoint and do not consider this to be a clear cut issue. So far on this forum the odds seem to be roughly 50/50 on bad versus good experiences. My point in replying to you 40, is so that maybe you reconsider that someone who doesnt tell you may not necessarily have something to hide. And I guess I just don't understand why its necessary to disarm someone who isnt going to cause trouble anyway. The guys who voluntarily get disarmed are very likely to be the ones who you didnt need to take a gun away from anyway. Thus, I don't bother bringing it up. I respect both sides of the debate, but feel like all things being weighed in, I will go my way. I won't bash your method, its not like if affects me what you do anyway. I just bring up my thinking for the sake of discussion. And I agree, lets get the LEOs to comment on this.
    The reason you disarm them is because you can't read minds. You don't know their intentions if they don't tell you. If you tell me I now know. If you don't I wonder if your intentions are bad because you didn't tell me. I guess it's tough to understand unless you've been on a traffic stop. Anything can happen. I guess I'm asking you to step into those shoes and think about it from an officer's perspective and then maybe you can understand what I am talking about. Just tell him...no big deal...it's showing the officer respect...a thank you for risking his life on every traffic stop.

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    I was still in college and was on my way home, on my birthday. I got stopped by a State Boy on US41 in Sullivan for going 61 in a 55. I told him about the handgun in the glovebox. He asked me to sit in his car with him for the duration of the stop. He then gave me a ticket and wished me a happy birthday:n00b:

Last time was last summer. I got stopped by an IMPD traffic officer on High School Road just South of 38th street for going 42 in a 35. At the time I was on my way to the range and I had more $$ in tax stamps with me than most people's guns are worth. He aproached my truck and I told him,with both hands still on the wheel, that I had "lots of firearms" in the vehicle. He said "that's great, now gimme your license". I did, and he came back, handed me a ticket, and did not utter one single other word.

Ri22o

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2008
    Speedway
    Last time was last summer. I got stopped by an IMPD traffic officer on High School Road just South of 38th street for going 42 in a 35. At the time I was on my way to the range and I had more $$ in tax stamps with me than most people's guns are worth. He aproached my truck and I told him,with both hands still on the wheel, that I had "lots of firearms" in the vehicle. He said "that's great, now gimme your license". I did, and he came back, handed me a ticket, and did not utter one single other word.
    At least you weren't dumb enough to turn left, and then get pulled over. :):

jrogers

Why not pass the time with a game of solitaire?
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Central IN
    the police just do it for everyones protection

Please explain how an officer taking my weapon somehow makes me safer or retract your statement. Police take weapons for their safety, not mine.

If you are a law abiding citizen why do you need to hide it, just let me know, and I'll take care of business and send you on your way.

The innocent have nothing to fear, right? :rolleyesedit:

A packing law abiding citizen is a good thing for me, just let me know so I don't think you're the bad guy.

I'd prefer to keep it concealed. You won't know I have it unless you ask me to get out of the car, and in that case I will tell you that I have a LtCH and a concealed weapon before moving a muscle.

btw, I may disagree with you on this issue, but it's always nice to run into cops who support carry.

Gryphon

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 29, 2008
    Terre Haute, IN
    Do LEOs in general actually think it's a good idea that private citizens can legally carry, or do they reluctantly tolerate it?

While shooting at the range recently, I was approached by two local officers who said they didn't have a problem with private citizens carrying as long as they used common sense during a routine traffic stop, and didn't jump out of their vehicle waving their piece around while shouting they had a gun.

I think as long as private citizens who carry legally, and LEOs both practice common sense - and refrain from overreacting - there would be no unnecessary problems encountered during routine traffic stops.

Lars

Rifleman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2008
    Cedar Creek, TX
    Do LEOs in general actually think it's a good idea that private citizens can legally carry, or do they reluctantly tolerate it?

While shooting at the range recently, I was approached by two local officers who said they didn't have a problem with private citizens carrying as long as they used common sense during a routine traffic stop, and didn't jump out of their vehicle waving their piece around while shouting they had a gun.

I think as long as private citizens who carry legally, and LEOs both practice common sense - and refrain from overreacting - there would be no unnecessary problems encountered during routine traffic stops.

I know Matt Pierce (I'm sure he could chime in here if you asked him) said in the New Castle class last month that he's happy whenever someone he pulls over has a LtCH. He said he thinks every law abiding citizen should have a firearm (or at least that's what I took away from what he said)

nofear

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 20, 2008
    Indy
    No the LEO's do not have a way to tell via your DL if you have a CWP. Nor if you hand it to them do they have a way to check if it is valid unless they call it in. IMHO I think this is bad. How in 2008 with all the computers and databases can Indiana not cross-reference information?

That being said, my LEO buddies would definitely appreciate you telling them you are carrying vs finding out on their own.

sparkyfender

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 20, 2008
    Southcentral IN
    I have been pulled over a couple of times.

I wasn't asked. I didn't tell. It wasn't relevant.

I always have a folding knife in my pocket as well. I stay silent about it, and my gun is just as legal as the knife.

Why throw more information out than is necessary?

Glock Lover

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Apr 23, 2008
    muncie
    I have been pulled over a couple of times.

I wasn't asked. I didn't tell. It wasn't relevant.

I always have a folding knife in my pocket as well. I stay silent about it, and my gun is just as legal as the knife.

Why throw more information out than is necessary?

Wow I don't even know where to start with that one...that would be way to easy...
    If you EVER do a traffic stop...you'll realize the difference.

Annie Oakley

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Rural southern Indiana
    My deputy husband wishes all law abiding citizens would carry. His stance is unless the gun is in plain view or you have it on you and are asked to step out of the car he really doesn't care if you tell him or not. If he asks, then tell. There is not a link between the DL and LTCH. There is also profileing that comes into play here....if you look like a gang banger he is going to be more cautious, if you look like a stand up citizen he will be more relaxed. It doesn't always hold true but most LEO's have some radar that they have developed that helps them decide when a traffic stop is "normal" vs one that they need to be worried about. If you tell and get a hassle just figure that the office wants to go home and cut him some slack.

Gryphon

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 29, 2008
    Terre Haute, IN
    My deputy husband wishes all law abiding citizens would carry. His stance is unless the gun is in plain view or you have it on you and are asked to step out of the car he really doesn't care if you tell him or not. If he asks, then tell. There is not a link between the DL and LTCH. There is also profileing that comes into play here....if you look like a gang banger he is going to be more cautious, if you look like a stand up citizen he will be more relaxed. It doesn't always hold true but most LEO's have some radar that they have developed that helps them decide when a traffic stop is "normal" vs one that they need to be worried about. If you tell and get a hassle just figure that the office wants to go home and cut him some slack.

If I should ever be pulled over for a routine traffic stop, I hope the officer exhibits the same rational mentality and good judgment your husband does on the job, and not by some arrogant, paranoid control freak who just has to disrespectfully "take control of the situation" when a "situation" doesn't even exist.

Honestly, to those LEOs who are so uncomfortable with their jobs that they treat the private citizens they are sworn to protect and serve as "untrustworthy civilians" who aren't worthy of being treated as human beings with families they'd also like to go home to, I think you should change occupations before you create a "situation" that ends in tragedy.

Annie Oakley

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Rural southern Indiana
    If I should ever be pulled over for a routine traffic stop, I hope the officer exhibits the same rational mentality and good judgment your husband does on the job, and not by some arrogant, paranoid control freak who just has to disrespectfully "take control of the situation" when a "situation" doesn't even exist.

Honestly, to those LEOs who are so uncomfortable with their jobs that they treat the private citizens they are sworn to protect and serve as "untrustworthy civilians" who aren't worthy of being treated as human beings with families they'd also like to go home to, I think you should change occupations before you create a "situation" that ends in tragedy.

My husband and I couldn't agree with you more regarding those LEO'S who give the profession a bad name. When I first met my husband I didn't really much like him but started riding with him due to my intrest in the work. He impressed me so much with the way he handles things that it couldn't have done anything other than make my change my mind about him. I am really proud of what he does and how he does it.

Bigum1969

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    SW Indiana
    Now that I just received my LTCH, I wonder what is the best thing to do if pulled over. I'm guessing I'll just let the LEO know if I have a loaded gun on me or in the car with me. I can imagine how nerve racking a traffic stop can be. The bottom line is that I just want to be respectful.

Now if I get treated rudely in return, I will certainly take my concerns to a higher level -- even the chief -- if necessary.

40calPUNISHER

Master
    Rating - 99.1%
    116   1   0
    Apr 23, 2008
    there you go, thats how you do it! R-E-S-P-E-C-T

Now that I just received my LTCH, I wonder what is the best thing to do if pulled over. I'm guessing I'll just let the LEO know if I have a loaded gun on me or in the car with me. I can imagine how nerve racking a traffic stop can be. The bottom line is that I just want to be respectful.

Now if I get treated rudely in return, I will certainly take my concerns to a higher level -- even the chief -- if necessary.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Or, you can avoid potential problems by 1) keeping it concealed, 2) not mentioning it, and 3) just dealing with the traffic stop in a courteous manner because whether or not you are armed is no one's business but yours.

Top Bottom