• KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    When your $300K helicopter drone crashes into your cool SWATmobile? Now that's a bad day. How'd you like to be the Public Affairs Officer in that department?

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    The shore of wonderful Lake Michigan
    Remote control helicopters are notoriously difficult to fly. Everyone I know that is into them says it's just a matter of time until you crash...and it happens often. I'm mostly just curious as to why they don't use something that is a little easier to control.

CathyInBlue

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I don't understand why a professional drone would use a helicopter planform in the first place. As was mentioned, helicopters are hard enough to fly first person. Trying to do it third person from a completely disconnected frame of reference is more difficult still. Quadrotors have relatively simple autonomous control, and in their simplest configuration only have four moving parts for the platform proper, and those are the props and BLDC motor rotors. Why don't professional drones just use scaled up quadrotors as platforms?

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    After reading this I went to my daughters and got out their remote helo for a go at it. Not real hard to fly inside as you can only really hover etc. but outside it was a bear. Once you get up some speed the control response becomes hard to judge. Yes, with out some serious practice they are a handful.

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    After reading this I went to my daughters and got out their remote helo for a go at it. Not real hard to fly inside as you can only really hover etc. but outside it was a bear. Once you get up some speed the control response becomes hard to judge. Yes, with out some serious practice they are a handful.

You didn't crash it 'by accident' into a passing police car, by any chance? :):

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I want to go on record as being fully against drones used by US law enforcement for any use at any time, for any reason.

How long will it be before some foreign geek that hates America, even though they are going to college here for free, figures out how they can take control of the stinking thing and cause mayham or death?

j706

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   1
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lizton
    What a bummer! I can see a whole bunch of potential uses for one of those things. I would love to have access to one. It is just a matter of time before they will be common place I think. Pretty cool especially if they don't crash.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I would imagine an awful lot of computer hobbyists will want to try to hack the wireless on these things and help fly them...

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    You didn't crash it 'by accident' into a passing police car, by any chance? :):

No. I bought it for them as a Christmas gift last year. They fly it with the gran-daughter. I guess if you pay for something out of your own pocket you take better care of it....................:):

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ljmiddleton3
    Top Bottom