• ...and so much more!
  • Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    I got to hand it to these officers for first staying focused on the car they had pulled over and instantly reacting before he even fired the first shot. Then teaming up to put this guy down even after one that was wounded. You face down an ak being fired at you that close and you win the "got balls" and "good training award" from me.
    The man never surrendered and was a threat to the end. Good shoot all around from only my interpretation of a bad quality video. Glad the right person got killed and no cops.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Evidence photos here. I am not skilled enough to know what it was that what used.
    In any event, he couldn't have been, what... 15 ft away? that's some scary :poop:

thanks ak with folded stock and it looks like the surplus yugo ammo (corrosive) so it was 7.62x39. hum.. is cop car winsheild more beefed up than standard cars? or does this show that even 7.62x39 is no a man stopper? wonder what would .308 or 30-06 do?

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    thanks ak with folded stock and it looks like the surplus yugo ammo (corrosive) so it was 7.62x39. hum.. is cop car winsheild more beefed up than standard cars? or does this show that even 7.62x39 is no a man stopper? wonder what would .308 or 30-06 do?

I don't understand what you are getting at. You have to hit your intended target for the round to be effective, caliber doesn't matter.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    7.62x39 is a man stopper and a car stopper too. The cops just moved fast enough it seems like. To me I think he hit too high on the windshield. With 5.56 rounds going through a windshield they sometimes tend to deflect downward into the dash. Could have happened here with the 7.62x39 but probably not. I bet the rear of the car has exit holes.

Just saw frankensteins comment above mine. Yep, gotta hit to be effective. He wasn't effective thank god and training.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2011
    Just a question for ingo member cops, Is there any procedure in place for after something like this? Do you get any kind of evaluation of your emotional state resulting from this kind of experience? If a guy isn't negatively influenced by something like this, there is something wrong with them. How does an officer continue his duties and interact with the public after this? I can't imagine not having a serious hard-on for joe public after an ambush. I know that I wouldn't want to be their next "routine" traffic stop,

I have been dragged out of a car and thrown into the ditch for no apparent reason before. While your face is in the gravel and there is a knee on your neck, It doesn't really cross your mind that the cop may have barely survived an ambush last week. Is there a sort of decompression period or do you go right back to work?

TheReaper

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2012
    Southeastern IN
    Just a question for ingo member cops, Is there any procedure in place for after something like this? Do you get any kind of evaluation of your emotional state resulting from this kind of experience? If a guy isn't negatively influenced by something like this, there is something wrong with them. How does an officer continue his duties and interact with the public after this? I can't imagine not having a serious hard-on for joe public after an ambush. I know that I wouldn't want to be their next "routine" traffic stop,

I have been dragged out of a car and thrown into the ditch for no apparent reason before. While your face is in the gravel and there is a knee on your neck, It doesn't really cross your mind that the cop may have barely survived an ambush last week. Is there a sort of decompression period or do you go right back to work?

Most departments require officers to stay off of the road for a certain period of time (varies from dept to dept) and during this time, most departments have post incident stress debriefings with officers or command members that have been trained in such a field. The officers are definitely kept a close eye on for any behavioral changes that may take place after such an incident. Some officers, by their own choosing return to the road and then may pick a different duty assignment if they choose to do so, such as an investigator or another desk job.

shawnba67

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 6, 2012
    So Indiana
    Is there any chance the holes in the windsheild came from inside the car. I know thats not how they trained but when the shtf things happen? He looked spray and pray and thats a pretty good group.

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN

I was involved in a shooting in 2009. I was off the street for a total of 19 days. During that time I had to see 2 pshrinks, one hired by the department and one provided by the city's wellness program. The department pshrink made me take all kinds of tests before they cleared me to return to work. The wellness pshrink discussed the incident and told me what kind of reactions/emotions to expect.

As far as it affecting me, it really didn't. I felt bad that I had to take another person's life but I did it to save mine and that of a citizen. I don't feel bad for coming out on top.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Is there any chance the holes in the windsheild came from inside the car. I know thats not how they trained but when the shtf things happen? He looked spray and pray and thats a pretty good group.

I guess it's possible. I can't speak to police firearm training because I'm not a cop and haven't taken their training. I can tell you for certain there is training out there in the private security and certain military sector that do teach this tactic. I have fired through a windshield before an it is effective. Hope that helps

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    I was involved in a shooting in 2009. I was off the street for a total of 19 days. During that time I had to see 2 pshrinks, one hired by the department and one provided by the city's wellness program. The department pshrink made me take all kinds of tests before they cleared me to return to work. The wellness pshrink discussed the incident and told me what kind of reactions/emotions to expect.

As far as it affecting me, it really didn't. I felt bad that I had to take another person's life but I did it to save mine and that of a citizen. I don't feel bad for coming out on top.

Thanks for sharing that very personal incident and glad you made it out fine on both counts.

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN

I don't think so. When he first starts shooting he is taking deliberate aim. That and the sound of the gunfire would have been much louder if fired from inside the car.

ticktwrter

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    I've been in one shooting my career. We are currently required to be off duty for ay be 72 hours and have to see the dept. psychologist.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    I don't think so. When he first starts shooting he is taking deliberate aim. That and the sound of the gunfire would have been much louder if fired from inside the car.

Second (edit: oops, 3rd sentence) sentence very good point! I didn't even think of the sound being picked up by the mic.
    For those who have ever fire from inside a closed space or that might have to to save your life, your ears will be ringing for a couple days. And you may have permanent damage but you will live if you keep in the fight.
    It's a good training experience if you find a place that allows it or teaches it so you know what to expect and your not mentally taken out of the fight. Kindof like knowing how to take a punch or eating OC spray so your prepared and not panicked next time.

Last edited:

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    Man, alot going on there, lots of things that can be taken from this video for training purposes:

1. Looked like the attacker decided he wanted to try to flank the officer's car and attack around their cover, be it the door or the rear of the car. But, he left what little cover his Saturn was providing (looked at that point only to be angles, rather than actual cover). That cost him an extra hole in his chest or two.
    2. Was his hand or arm injured at one point? He proceeded to fire 2-3 rounds at the officers single handed with the AK.
    3. The officers really did a number on him at the end and justifiably. Just b/c they are down doesn't mean they're out. I did notice copper "sparks" on the pavement from them firing at him with him down. +1 for the police.
    4. The older guy off camera is an idiot. Who cares that you have a pistol. The pistol is to protect you, not try to play "I'll cover you officer while you call backup". That was a REALLY stupid thing for him to do to get involved. Hopped up on adrenaline, the officer could have seen him as a second, unintended threat.
    5. The attacker's initial shots seem really low. I did not overanalyze the video (as I try to watch things then think about them, as one would in real life, experience once, not over and over and over). Seemed he was either hip shooting or not really aiming, just spraying. The gun bounced in his hands alot (muzzle movement upwards) from the video, so maybe not so deliberately aimed, but the next dozen+ definitely were and with less "bounce". It seemed he was really depending on the controllability of his weapon to gain advantage on officers then begin actual aimed fire.

I gotta say, as a newb or windowlicker or otherwise, I was pretty shaken up. I even yelled at the video when the attacker was kneeling, "Shoot HIM!" Seems more stress innoculation may be necessary in the future. THAT's the adrenaline rush that cannot be simulated easily and can cause judgement issues. Granted, I am not a police officer and unlike the "I have a pistol" idiot, am not going to rush into a situation unless it truely warrants my needed help, but wowza, there's alot that can be learned from this, particularly in an active shooter environment or even road rage incident (guy flips out in the car ahead of you and opens up). Lots for us citizens to think about that can be taken from this.

Seeing a few of these, it seems there are alot of commonality in them (generalities, yes):
    1. Attacker mostly goes away from car to try to "pie" around the officer's cover (mostly, car door).
    2. Mostly have an opening gambit of spraying down the autoglass, defender's driver's side, then try aimed fire. With rifles (one I saw, attacker had M1 Carbine and killed the officer), they have a bit of ammo left after their "disorienting" opening gambit, pistols they seem to not have many left.
    3. Survivability on the defender seems almost pinned to the weapon: Rarely have I seen a vid where the attacker had a rifle fail to kill the defender. If the attacker had a pistol, the survivability of the officer increased dramatically.
    4. Every vid I saw, if the description had the officer going to the rear of the car for cover rather than hanging out by the door or leaving cover, they lived. Leave cover or stay behind door, officer survivability seemed to rapidly approach nil.

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    Looks like an AMD65 was used.

In the recent past those were about the cheapest AK variants you could buy.

and the ammo is chinese. Hasn't been available for a while on the open market, but its still out there.

Expatriated

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 22, 2013
    First off, I'm glad the guy is dead. Great job, 5-0!

Secondly, I think one aspect to study from this video is the tendency for cops to stay too long in the car once the stop is made. This is generally due to their training. Sometimes it is to wait for backup, sometimes it is to get all of the pertinent stop info out (location, tag, description, occupied so many times, etc) and sometimes it takes a second to get on the radio to give that stuff out.

But, a car can easily become a trap. I have never liked being in a car in the event of something about to go down. I think in general PD's don't stress enough getting out of the car quickly. If a guy is going to draw on you, are you faster and more accurate from behind the wheel of your cruiser or out, unencumbered like you generally train? I'm of the school you get out ASAP. We have this feeling that we are safer in the car. Unless it's moving down the road away from the shooting, that's not true.

How "ready" was this guy when he was stopped? He had time to grab his AK, load it, chamber a round, and get ready and no one was up on him. He didn't bail the second he pulled over so, was he just screwing up his nerve? Or was he getting his gun ready?

Ideally, the partner cop is out immediately providing cover since the danger is going to be directed at the driver cop. There are some other techniques I won't go into on a public forum but having experienced a lot of police training, I think that is a particular shortcoming in many departments.

Bottom line in this situation: Good guys got some good hits. They get to go home. Hopefully they get medals. Bad guy serves as a permanent reminder to bad guys everywhere, memoralized on video.

Didn't hear much about the injuries--are they serious?

Wes225

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    I'm yeager is gonna get a ton of flak from this, all those dvd's where Tactical Response.

He wasn't so tactical if you ask me, rather an epic fail (thank god), So, if he was planning some mass shooting or whatever stupid reason you'd have all that crap in your car I doubt he would have done anything substantial.

Either way, prepare for libtards to run with this.

Top Bottom