• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Grogmister

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 13, 2012
    I have been looking at atvs lately. Honestly don’t need one, just want one. Something with a plow on for snow and light dirt work around the house. Might trail ride it some but mostly just to putz around on. I think I want a Polaris Sportsman 570 with EPS (for the wife) but cannot find one in stock to even look at within a few hours from Ft Wayne. Looked at a bunch of Hondas in Kendallville and liked them as well but they quoted me $12,500 for a Rancher and plow setup. I don’t want to spend that much. What input does everyone have? Pros and cons, what to look for and what not to buy. New vs Used? Thank you all!

Mounty09

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 12, 2010
    Noblesville
    While Honda doesn't have all the bells and whistles that Polaris has I think they are much better machines. For me the geared transmission that the Hondas is a huge plus. You don't have to worry about belt slip or changing the belt out on the trail.

Mark-DuCo

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2012
    Ferdinand
    I personally own a 1985 Honda 250SX three wheeler, a 1999 Honda Recon ATV, and a 2008 Yamaha TTR-230 dirtbike. The 250SX doesn't get rode much anymore so the battery is always dead, but it still starts on the second kick. The Recon has been through hell and back and still runs like a champ. The Yamaha runs fine too once it is warm, but you have to choke it and let it warm up even if its 100 degrees outside.

Honda just seem to be built more solid. Other brands may have more power and fancier features, but Hondas run forever in my experience.

rem788

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2009
    indy west
    I responded to an earlier thread on my experience with Polaris. I have three Polaris atv's I purchased new. All three had module failures. My friends both bought new Sportsmans, both had module failures. One was the EPS module which you mentioned I would hesitate to buy a Polaris. No experience with Honda's other than the cars. Good luck.

LongRangeBushy

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 22, 2011
    Wabash County
    I have a 2019 honda rancher and it has power steering and the automatic shift (whatever they call it —so my wife doesn’t have to do anything but throttle) I paid $7500 new and was quoted $1500 for a quick detach Plow. Your price may be a little high but can’t say I’ve priced them under these conditions.. I can also say right at 3 months short of 3 years old and my first service light came on at 100 miles or 20 hours of use. Havent done anything but put gas in it…

DragonGunner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    N. Central IN
    Find a used Honda Rancher, save money over new and have at it. I been on Hondas most of my life started in 1978 with ATC, then 4 wheelers. Now I also have a Arctic Cat SXS with a snowplow set up that does great.

yeti rider

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 95%
    19   1   0
    Dec 17, 2011
    Lafayette
    I'm in the minority and have a Polaris ranger. We got the ranger 1000, three seat version. To say it has been handy in our woods would be an understatement. It hauls a lot, and I tow the wood splitter out to the trees i've cut.

Grogmister

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 13, 2012
    Thanks for all the replies everyone. I prefer the looks of the Polaris but if Honda makes a better machine then I‘m all for that. I will find the right one for the right price eventually. Appreciate all the help!

SnoopLoggyDog

I'm a Citizen, not a subject
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    63   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Warsaw
    20180629_125759.jpg
    Been very happy with my 2014 Polaris. Been using it in back country Alaska since 2018. Reliable and easy to work on.

chubbs

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Jun 2, 2009
    North of hell, south of heaven
    I have been very happy with my 2017 Polaris 570. I've had it out from WV hills to CO mountains and bunch of places in between. It does what I ask of it. Back when I was on 2 wheels a lot, I was a die hard honda guy. But their lack of horse power in their atv's pushed me to the polaris. I'm glad I switched! Hondas are reliable as they come, but lack the grunt in some cases. Or adleast they did when I tested them in 2017

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Love my Sportsman 800. It's older, 07 or 08, I never remember. Been trouble free for me. Wish it had EPS...

QeZjuVXl.jpg

Top Bottom