• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    If you're like me, you have a hard time ID'ing poison ivy. The resources out there are, frankly, bad. There are too many varieties and finding actual useful photos instead of drawings can be tough. I finally stumbled across one and it's about the best guide I've found, so I thought I'd share. You'll note that the drawing of poison ivy at the top doesn't match any of the photos below. You begin to see my problem. Do you have poison plant identifiers that you use?

0pivno4.jpg

findingZzero

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2012
    N WIndy
    I've sprayed some PI recently with vinegar solution/soap/salt (google it). After a day I noticed no difference so I tried bleach. After 3 days it still looks healthy with the occasional lesion. No rain to wash it off. Will wait a few mor days before flamethrower.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Leaves of 3. Check.
    Hairy vines. Check.
    The poison ivy leaves around here (southern Indiana) most often look similar to the "mitten" ones second from the bottom in the guide above.
    Thing is they can look a bit different at different stages of maturity and during different seasons.
    I never look for the berries, but that's just me.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    well seeing i have no no reaction to poison ivy, poison sumac, poison oak, ect. does that mean it's a mythical plant?

WAit till after a rain (two days after ) or the fall of eye year and do my test. Urushiol is not something you would normally be Immune from. That is a nasty oil. You can buy a skin shield spray that helps but 90 + percent of humans will have a bad reaction from Urushiol with the added compounds that number is higher so just because one plant does itch you out does not mean none will. On most tests 90 percent or better is good.

of course we have a vast array of people here on INgO so we have to have some who would make the test invalid.

Retake on the above test.
    So take your better half's arm and rub the plant on it. If she get little blisters then It is poison ivy.

I have pulled it er it out by hand with gloves In The drought a few years ago. No oil. no harm.

BuckCreek

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2013
    I have never had it (looks for something wooden to knock on), but I also avoid it like the plague. I don't know if I am resistant to it or just lucky enough to have never come in contact with it.

I have family members that can get it if their cat goes through it and then rubs up against them. I know of a family that burned wood in an old converted coal furnace. One year they had some wood with poison ivy vine on it that they didn't pull off before burning the wood. The whole family ended up with a really bad case of poison ivy. Definitely nasty stuff.

Thanks for sharing the guide. I agree, that is the best one I've see.

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    Here's another clue they don't tell you above: the leaf petioles of PI are "alternately" spaced on the stem, as opposed to "oppositely" spaced (ie, there will be one on the "left side," then a little farther along, another on the opposite or "right" side...the left and right petioles do not come out of the same spot on the stem). If the petioles on the left and right sides of the stem both join the stem at the same place, they're oppositely-spaced and it's not PI. People will often confuse the juvenile form of Virginia Creeper (Parthenocissus Quinquefolia) with PI because the young shoots have only three leaflets instead of the mature five, but the dead giveaway is that the leaflet petioles on either side of the Virginia Creeper stem are coming out of the same point directly across from each other, instead of being alternately spaced out.

In this neck of the woods, if it has three leaflets and the petioles are alternately-spaced, you can be about 90% sure it's PI.

remauto1187

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 25, 2012
    Stepping Stone
    Wanna get rid of it in literally hours? Or just about anything that has leaves? Get you some herbicide with Diquat Dibromide. Its used for weed burndown(chemical) and the plants will be laying flat on the ground with brown/yellow leaves in a matter of hours after being sprayed with it! $8.99 a gallon at Rural King.

poppy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 4, 2012
    South of Indy
    Diquat Dibromide is a contact herbicide only. In order to get rid of poison ivy, you need to use an herbicide that kills the root also. Diquat Dibromide is only a contact herbicide, not a translocater. Basically, it is a defoliant.

poppy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 4, 2012
    South of Indy
    agent orange?
    No it is not agent orange. Agent orange is a mix of 50% 2,4,D and 2,4,5T with either disel fuel or kerosene. Agent orange came to name as it was shipped in 55 gallon drums with an orange stripe painted on the barrel. Diquat Dibromide is a chlorophenoxy.

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    Another common poisonous plant to be familiar with and watch for in Indiana is stinging nettles, very common in the woods this time of year. I wandered into a patch of these while scrounging for fire wood on a camping trip while wearing shorts - not pleasant.

Nettle_zps5b60610e.jpg

freekforge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion
    I avoid PI at all costs if i think there is even the tiniest chance that i got into i pretty much bathe in bleach or gasoline. According to the nurses at the hospital i get the worse cases they have ever seen. And since i refuse to take steroids they really cant do much for me anymore. Guy i know used some stuff the rail road uses that kills it within a few hours Im gonna try and get some.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Scutter,

Another thing I found helpful was a poison ivy session put on by one of the state parks years ago (McCormick's Creek, iirc).

It started with a lecture, then we walked around the park's hiking trails with the guide pointing out examples of poison ivy; all sizes, vines, etc. Something like that really helps.

xcalibur

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 4, 2012
    Another common poisonous plant to be familiar with and watch for in Indiana is stinging nettles, very common in the woods this time of year. I wandered into a patch of these while scrounging for fire wood on a camping trip while wearing shorts - not pleasant.

Nettle_zps5b60610e.jpg

We always called this stuff Fire Weed

Top Bottom