• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    This information about plasma TVs is completely false. Modern Plasma and LCD TVs have the exact same half life - 100,000 hours.

---------------------------------------

Plasma has exactly 3 remaining negative points. Whether or not they matter to you is an exercise for the reader.

1) Power usage. They suck way more juice than a same sized LCD.
    2) They get hot. If your room is small, the temperature in the room will go up.
    3) They are slightly more difficult to view in a brightly lit room. It's not a significant issue on a modern plasma.
    I'm running Plasma. They do eat some watts.
    I like the heat. It saves on my gas heat bill.
    Plasma isn't like it used to be. My screen is still detailed in bright light.
    Plus the initial savings evens out the power usage on a 5 year stint.
    I also have a smaller Vizio 24" LED monitor/TV. my 42" Plasma has a better picture. The LED also gets warm.
    To each his own poison but I'm an electronics tech and the Panny Plasmas have an excellent service record. The older ones had a dimming of the screen but that was cured a few years ago.

Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    Fort Wayne, IN
    I want to bump this thread. I posted earlier that I recommended plasma. I bought a 50" LG plasma almost exactly a year ago in September. A couple months later the screen had a horizontal line. It was replaced under warranty. Just over a year after purchasing the tv(purchased sept 11) I came home today and there is a two inch thick vertical line distortion sometimes solid black or white going through the tv. This is the second time this thing has screwed up. I paid over one thousand dollars for this set and luckily I purchased the five year warranty. Hopefully the company its through will cover it but Ive got to say two repairs in just one year is pretty sad for the price. Im not impressed at all.

Blame the manufacturer, not the technology. In the plasma world I would only buy Panasonic, Samsung, or if you can find one Pioneer was the king of Plasmas for a long time. Expensive but amazing picture quality. My samsung 50" has been going strong for going on probably 7 years maybe.

I had to return three LCD TVs before I got one that worked a few years ago. It was the fault of the manufacturer, not the LCD technology.

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT
    Blame the manufacturer, not the technology. In the plasma world I would only buy Panasonic, Samsung, or if you can find one Pioneer was the king of Plasmas for a long time. Expensive but amazing picture quality. My samsung 50" has been going strong for going on probably 7 years maybe.

I had to return three LCD TVs before I got one that worked a few years ago. It was the fault of the manufacturer, not the LCD technology.

Pioneer sold their plasma business to panasonic in '09. The V-series Panny plasmas from 2010 on are every bit as good as the Kuros and Elites. They're made in the same factory on the same production line from the same glass as the Kuros.

sonofagun

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 24, 2011
    Bedford, IN
    I've been told that if you play video games NOT to buy a plasma tv
    I bought my 42" plasma in 2003 and picture still looks great in HD.

Paid way, way too much for it.

Haven't had any burn in issues either.

The last two years we've had a Wii hooked to it with no issues developing.

I guess as long as you don't leave the game turned on, continously paused, you'd be ok.

OTOH- I've seen LCD PC monitors get burnt at work when no screen saver was used.

Lucas156

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 20, 2009
    Greenwood
    The tv we have does not see heavy use at all. There are many days it never even gets turned on at all. The premium service plan from hhgregg is a joke. One hour waiting for a representative finally had to hang up. Freakin ridiculous.

Top Bottom