• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GoBoilers!

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Sep 2, 2008
    Ok, here's the deal. I just acquired a Marlin 30-30, and with my aging eyes, I'd like to be able to hit a pie-plate at 150 yards, which I cannot do with open sites. So I thought - I'll just get a regular ole 4X scope to put on it. I do not plan to drive tacks, so no high-dollar models or 3X-9X needed, just a low power scope to mount on it is all I want. And come to find out, they are hard to find! I do not want a new-fangled AR style scope either - this is a 40 year old rifle. Any suggestions?

Ruger_Ronin

Turkey Herder
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 22, 2017
    Outer Heaven
    Meant for a .22, but I'm sure you can work out the holdovers. First thing that came to mind.

bcannon

QC Dept aka Picky F'er
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Apr 13, 2012
    Boiler Country
    If you're looking for a vintage fixed 4× scope, look for a Unertl Hawk 4×. They're easy to find, not expensive, and would fit nicely on a vintage rifle. Look on ebay or gunbroker, there should be plenty to chose from.

bgarman47

File Jockey
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 8, 2023
    Ossian
    I'm a huge fan of fixed power scopes in general, but they seem to be headed the way of the do do.

S&B discontinued the Klassik series fixed powers, Leupold discontinued the majority of their FX series, Meopta followed suit, etc.

At one point in the recent past Weaver was importing Japanese made fixed power optics that were very high quality. You can find those on auction sights for reasonable prices. As handsome as they are, I would likely pass on the older Leupold M8 series. Friction adjustments and sub-par glass compared to most of what is available today.

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    363   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    The post '74 Leupold M8 4x does not have arched logo.
    Is of longer tube but kind of gangly w 28mm front.
    They made a compact model, sharp looking, but has shorter tube so not as adaptable to various setups.

Had a 4X compact, minty, on my .35 rem. Had one on an 870 deer gun decades ago.
    My neck is kinda screwed up and I don't stretch as well as I used to. Plus wearing layers hunting.
    Sold my Compact 4x and put my 2-7X on the 760. It has longer tube and worked fine.

On the hunt for M8 4x regular. Sold my last one w the rifle.

Gloss and not scarred up, the prices for used 4X Leupolds is getting ridiculous.

I would not go w a Weaver steel tube. I don't know what Vintage Gun Scopes does on their rebuilds. Rebuilt/upgraded? Cost more than a clean used Leupold (even at todays silly prices) proly.

Have about decided to just go with newer 1-5x or 2-7X variable on pretty deer rigs.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Leupold 4X regular
    RSI 8pt.JPG
    Leupold 4X Compact

760 181#.jpg

You can see it was as back as far as it would go. Other brand "weaver" type rails extend fwd, don't get anything more on the back end. Solution was to get a longer tube 4x (or go w reg 2-7X- which I did).

The RSI 4X pic, had an offset rear ring. The scope was barely into the offset zone. It was moved even more rearward later.

I do like 1X or 2X on the low end for movers. Have done it w 4x forever, but aint young anymore and less mag up close is just less stressful IMHO

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Gloss is what they don't really make much anymore. Matte scopes are a no-no on a higher gloss gun. That eliminates all the newer stuff for the most part like vortex that get hit on every scope post on INGO.

Whatever you are looking for can be found at about any gun show if you look at the tables enough. Sure they will have mint vintage weavers El Paso TX. Older Leopold models but others which fit the need well. Cheap to paycheck whatever you want to spend and find.

What I find works well are on fixed power are those with generous eye relief and a shorter tube. You can place them further forward over the action and I like that look better and see little to no difference in game preformance.
    Several makers had LPVO's in flood in the day and I will pay a little more for them over the fixed. The rage for LPVO's on ar's I believe stemmed from the spot and stalk style hunting I do. Walking goes down on 2 power for quick target. Kicked one up and it stops at 250 yards pop it up to 7. 1-4 and 2-7 set on several of my levers.

Also look for the big game models often called African or similar. The same rough and tough short tube and small magnification values with long eye relief.

Good luck hitting one up.

nipprdog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jan 11, 2009
    Tippecanoe county

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Gloss is what they don't really make much anymore. Matte scopes are a no-no on a higher gloss gun. That eliminates all the newer stuff for the most part like vortex that get hit on every scope post on INGO.

Whatever you are looking for can be found at about any gun show if you look at the tables enough. Sure they will have mint vintage weavers El Paso TX. Older Leopold models but others which fit the need well. Cheap to paycheck whatever you want to spend and find.

What I find works well are on fixed power are those with generous eye relief and a shorter tube. You can place them further forward over the action and I like that look better and see little to no difference in game preformance.
    Several makers had LPVO's in flood in the day and I will pay a little more for them over the fixed. The rage for LPVO's on ar's I believe stemmed from the spot and stalk style hunting I do. Walking goes down on 2 power for quick target. Kicked one up and it stops at 250 yards pop it up to 7. 1-4 and 2-7 set on several of my levers.

Also look for the big game models often called African or similar. The same rough and tough short tube and small magnification values with long eye relief.

Good luck hitting one up.
    When it stops why not just shoot it at 2X ?

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    When it stops why not just shoot it at 2X ?
    When you bump them normally they just go out of sight line then come back out of the woods further down. Plenty of time to pop the power ring with the thumb can not see them much on the brush except the tail.

Normally if I bump them sleeping/unaware (normally we see each other at the same time) I have to the count of three or four till the front hoof stomps and off they go. If you be cool like Fonzie and just watch they will look back once they get a
    Sight line out to the open and look back at you. I like a little more Magnifying power further out and very low power up close to get on target better.

Now the scout scope setup is for jump shooting and running up close and In 44mag the distance all you have is 1.75 so I call that scope assisted open sights.

I do stand hunt morning and afternoons at times but I seem to enjoy bringing me to them instead of waiting for them to come to me.

My hunts rarely look like the guys on TV.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Higher mag is cool for checking for busted tines or overall size.
    But Im not that picky LOL
    My spot isn't the best so pretty much if it's over 100" it takes a boolit.
    Im figuring done w deer hunting in next 2 yrs anyway

Last edited:

GoBoilers!

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Sep 2, 2008
    Thanks for all the comments and suggestions. That helps a lot. I have looked up a few small low power variable scopes that look okay. The Bushnell Banner 1.5-4.0 looks like a possibility. I am not concerned about keeping a vintage look so much as I want to keep it simple and low power. I plan to do some window shopping in Fort Wayne tomorrow to see what is in stock locally.

Top Bottom