• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dorky_D

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 4, 2010
    I hve been thinking about getting a pitcher pump for my well. Can anyone point me to a good one. I know Harbor Freight has one cheap, but it is well...Harbor Freight. I do not want to pay an arm and a leg for one, but a decent one would be nice.

Kmcinnes

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2011
    Hendricks County
    Depends on how deep your well is, a pitcher pump will only go about 25 feet, I have been looking into this aswell and you can get one that will go deeper but the are about $2500.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    Depends on how deep your well is, a pitcher pump will only go about 25 feet, I have been looking into this aswell and you can get one that will go deeper but the are about $2500.

This ^^^

How deep is the static water level of your well? That is very important to know before you even think about getting a pitcher pump.

Dorky_D

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 4, 2010
    I have not gotten the fitting out of the well to see how far down it is. I do not think it is far based on my sump pump flow.

03A3

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Shaker Prairie
    Grigg Industries has Merrill brand pumps for $54.
    They also have repair parts.
    If there's a decent hardware store around they should have, or could get, everything you need including drive cap, drive couplings and point.
    I've seen sand points at Lowes but have never looked to see if they have any of the other hardware.

Dorky_D

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 4, 2010
    Can anyone help me figure out how to get the old pump out? I opened uo the cap. About 4 feet down there is a piece of metall It is circular, and must connect with the pipe going into the house. I think this thing must come up and disconnect from the pipe going into the house. There are 2 slits on the sides. One has the wires feeding down through. There looks to be a circle in the center. There also looks to be a square bolt on one part. I saw a video on youtube where a screwed a threaded pipe into his "shoe" (that is what he called it), and smacked up on a T handle fashiond out of the pipe and a t and 2 shorter pipes. I tried a 3/4" pipe, in the center, but no go. I cannot see how to even begin to pull this up. It cannot be that hard, but I am not sure how to do it. I am not even sure what to call this thing in the casing to Google it. Can anyone help with what to do?

Bucky623

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Can anyone help me figure out how to get the old pump out? I opened uo the cap. About 4 feet down there is a piece of metall It is circular, and must connect with the pipe going into the house. I think this thing must come up and disconnect from the pipe going into the house. There are 2 slits on the sides. One has the wires feeding down through. There looks to be a circle in the center. There also looks to be a square bolt on one part. I saw a video on youtube where a screwed a threaded pipe into his "shoe" (that is what he called it), and smacked up on a T handle fashiond out of the pipe and a t and 2 shorter pipes. I tried a 3/4" pipe, in the center, but no go. I cannot see how to even begin to pull this up. It cannot be that hard, but I am not sure how to do it. I am not even sure what to call this thing in the casing to Google it. Can anyone help with what to do?

It sounds like what you’re describing is called a pitless adapter.

Stschil

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    At the edge of sanit
    The pitiless adapter should be connected to a rope or braided wire of some sort. The submersible pump should have three wires that connect somewhere near the too of the casing.
    Make sure you turn off the power to the pump at the breaker box before trying to pull the pump. You should be able to pull the rope/wire to disconnect the pitiless adapter then pull the pump assy up and out of the casing. Getting reconnected is the "fun" part. :hehe:
    If you pull the pump, you should chlorinate the well after reinstalling, as you can easily pollute the well space.

Your initial question was about a pitcher pump, in your case since you have a (assumption on my part) 4" well casing, a pitcher pump is most likely not going to work. In a grid down situation, to get water your best bet will be a well bucket.

Get a 3 to 4 foot section of 3" PVC pipe. Drill two holes in the top and attach nylon rope (long enough to lower the bucket to below the water line). Install a flapper type check valve on the other end then another short (6") length of pipe.

After pulling the pump, lower the "bucket" into the well pipe, the check valve will open and allow it to fill. When you pull it up, the valve wil close and hold water inside the bucket. You will get 3 to 4 gallons of water this way.

Dorky_D

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 4, 2010
    Thanks for the replies.
    There is no rope on the Pitless Adaptor (thanks for the name). I did a little googling yesterday and I am gong to see if a 1-1/4 pipw will fit the circle (I cannot tell if the circle in the center is threaded. I also did not find any in my searching that lloked just like mine, so I will have to see.
    Why would a pitcher pump not work? I would probably replace the PVC pipe. I am just wanting to be able to fill a bucket with water at the well, not bring it inside. Is that what you mean?
    Also, I have the means to make a bailer bucket with a check valve. That is my backup to the backup!

Stschil

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    At the edge of sanit
    Thanks for the replies.
    There is no rope on the Pitless Adaptor (thanks for the name). I did a little googling yesterday and I am gong to see if a 1-1/4 pipw will fit the circle (I cannot tell if the circle in the center is threaded. I also did not find any in my searching that lloked just like mine, so I will have to see.
    Why would a pitcher pump not work? I would probably replace the PVC pipe. I am just wanting to be able to fill a bucket with water at the well, not bring it inside. Is that what you mean?
    Also, I have the means to make a bailer bucket with a check valve. That is my backup to the backup!

The pitcher pump requires a certain amount of vaccum to work. I'm not sure that you could produce enough by dropping an 1 1/4 pipe down an existing well casing. I could be completely wrong in my thinking though.

Dorky_D

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 4, 2010
    From what I have read, they work down to about 20-24 feet. I am not sure how far down the water is, so I will have to see.

Top Bottom