Pistol with AK like reliability and tolerance?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    Not a glock guy but... find a glock that fits her hand. Or an M&P. Honestly most major manufacturers would work here, we're talking nighstand-drawer-neglect, not dragging it through the mud/sand/water/hot/cold.

If a semi-auto can rust in place in the drawer, the revolver innards will as well.

It's a lot easier to teach someone with low hand strength to rack a slide than pull a heavy DA trigger. I know, my wife fits that category. Once she learned the technique, she can rack any slide she's come across but she flat out can't pull a >12lb trigger with one finger in shooting posture.

10/10 I do NOT recommend the LCR for the previously-mentioned short stroking issue. If you release the trigger to the first click and pull again, it'll turn the cylinder but NOT FIRE. It does have a fairly good DA trigger though.

Obviously I'm voting against revolvers for never-shoot-it-nightstand-gun unless they can show the ability to shoot DA passably.

Glock vs revolver triggers: apples and oranges. Better for what? Better at what? Better in what way? Glock is a mushy single (and a half ish). revolvers have a crisp SA and long heavy DA. Different mechanisms different purposes. Yes, glock triggers are shorter and lighter than un-worked revolver DA. Yes, a quality revolver DA is smoother and surprisingly easy to shoot.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    The AK is probably the most reliable, but it’s not the indestructible weapon everybody thinks it is. They do have problems sometimes more often than an AR15. The AR15 is much easier to fix and get going again imo.

That said I don't think there is a pistol made that can fire 8,000 rds without cleaning or lubrication. So imo there is no pistol that is as reliable as an AK47.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    The AK is probably the most reliable, but it’s not the indestructible weapon everybody thinks it is. They do have problems sometimes more often than an AR15. The AR15 is much easier to fix and get going again imo.

That said I don't think there is a pistol made that can fire 8,000 rds without cleaning or lubrication. So imo there is no pistol that is as reliable as an AK47.
    I have no idea of the veractiy of this write up but I presume there are others out there as well. He mentions close to 10,000 rounds without cleaning, I believe.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    I have no idea of the veractiy of this write up but I presume there are others out there as well. He mentions close to 10,000 rounds without cleaning, I believe.

I would have to see that to believe it. 6 months in the ocean no rust sure. I doubt stainless steel could do that. That article reads like fiction.

I've personally seen glock 22's malfunction after about 250rds and need lubrication.

Oh the part about freezing temperatures and Rem oil was the best lol. It's been proven Rem oil gels up around -5 and lower.

Last edited:

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I would have to see that to believe it. 6 months in the ocean no rust sure. I doubt stainless steel could do that. That article reads like fiction.

I've personally seen glock 22's malfunction after about 250rds and need lubrication.

Oh the part about freezing temperatures and Rem oil was the best lol. It's been proven Rem oil gels up around -5 and lower.

Agreed, some of those seem a little out there, but I honestly have no doubt there are some Glocks that have gone more than 8k rounds without a cleaning.

Top Bottom