• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • acss502

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Central
    Is it possible to clean your gun too much? I recently bought a pistol but I've been field stripping it each time I get home. Seems like a silly question after typing it, but after this thread, I feel like I'm overdoing it now.

Nah. When I shoot the two gun matches I strip mine and polish it once a month to make sure it’s running in tip top shape. I see it as the trigger can’t be too smooth....

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Full tear down/detail- only if the gun is developing problems
    general cleaning- revolvers every rare time I shoot them, pistols might get a rub down if the outside if disgusting from suppressor blowback

I consider all semi autos in a "testing until proven reliable" phase, which is really a skewed test because I've seen plenty of revolvers fail, I just like to do it cause I like knowing the stopping point of a gun

I like to run my semi-autos without cleaning until I get a malfunction. I have had a few that I just got tired of the black "ooze" getting all over everything so I cleaned them even though they didn't malfunction.:)

I just don't shoot my revolvers enough to get them really dirty in a short time frame, so they get cleaned in less rounds than the auto's do.

If I decide to just shoot revolvers next year, that may change.

Doublehelix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 20, 2015
    Westfield
    Thanks for all of the responses so far guys.

I field strip and clean my guns quite often, but have not ever really done a complete tear down and clean. Sounds like I need to consider that this winter...

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    usually around 10k rounds... which for most pistols is the only time I clean them. only exception is my ipsc open gun would get a 'field clean' every 2-3k w. a deep clean 5-10k.

-rvb

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Is this a good time to bring up the running joke among USPSA competitors? The one about cleaning your gun the day before the match?

Grelber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    Lots of folks are uncomfortable with tearing the guns all the way down.

It would be interesting to know what percentage of 20+ year old guns have never been taken down beyond what they advise is the owners manuals.

Ballstater98

Certified Bro Shark
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 18, 2015
    NWI
    Some people are not good with their hands (in regards to this topic) at some things. I find this true with a lot of people and firearms.
    Some are just lazy, of course.
    I think a lot of people are afraid of taking it apart and not being able to get it back together properly. Then of course would be the Walk-of-Shame to a gunsmith or to your buddy with your box of parts. I have some rifles that it is just a bear to take the bolt apart completely. So I understand that aspect.

Ballstater98

Certified Bro Shark
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 18, 2015
    NWI
    Which ones?

-Nate
    If I remember correctly one of them is the extractor claw on my Berthier Etts Continsouza Mle-M-16. It's one of those instances where the minute I start disassembly the 'oh, that's right' moments hit. The memory is a little foggy right now though.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Some older guns are a whole lot easier to totally take down for a detail strip than a lot of new guns. A 1911 is a breeze to completely take down (not really completely as I leave the grip bushings and plunger tube in the gun). Some newer guns are not too bad, such as a Glock or P10C, but too many of the newer guns take slave pins to reassemble and those are just not fun to mess with, so those guns only get a total take down if I'm doing refinish work or tuning.

Top Bottom