• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • illini40

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2010
    Hello all,

I am looking for some guidance on gear for pheasant hunting. I received a hunt for Christmas that I am really looking forward to trying out. It should be a nice change up from the waterfowl arena.

What gear do I need to consider? Any specific vests you would recommend?

I will be hunting with my 12 gauge 1187. However, I am not familiar with any specific gear\clothing needs.

I have searched, but have not come up with much on gear.

zoglog

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Sep 20, 2009
    Hendricks Co
    Brush pants or bibs and some hunters orange. You probably will be walking through wet areas so water proof boots are a must. I love my Mucks, but any water proof boot will do. You can get all decked out, but if it is your first one, dont worry about all the cool stuff, just have fun.

Be prepared to walk and walk and walk. Extra layers in the truck would be a good idea, I just got back from a hunt and was super glad I had extra layers to get rid of what I had sweat through.

Where ya headed?

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    A dog

#4 or #6 mag loads but you don't have to use 3"

I agree brush pants for sure (or chaps etc) and good boots

Dress in layers but use quality base layers like Under armour

Oddly warm weather this year, so if you start the day out cold but end up in the 40's that is a huge temp swing in a 12 hour day. You start out cold, then sweat, then cooling off while wet. Synthetic clothing all the way, no cotton.

Any vest big enough for two birds is good enough but carry water too.

Last edited:

illini40

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2010
    Brush pants or bibs and some hunters orange. You probably will be walking through wet areas so water proof boots are a must. I love my Mucks, but any water proof boot will do. You can get all decked out, but if it is your first one, dont worry about all the cool stuff, just have fun.

Be prepared to walk and walk and walk. Extra layers in the truck would be a good idea, I just got back from a hunt and was super glad I had extra layers to get rid of what I had sweat through.

Where ya headed?

Thanks for the advice. I figured a pair of brush pants and a best would be the main essentials that I do not currently have. Guess that just means a Cabelas adventure. :): Are there any shops around Indy that would carry upland gear? Gander and Dicks are very limited on selection.

I will be headed to hunt at Rogers Hunt Club in Ohio, IL. My future father in law has been wanting to get me onto pheasants for a while now, so a great Christmas gift.

illini40

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2010
    A dog

#4 or #6 mag loads but you don't have to use 3"

I agree brush pants for sure (or chaps etc) and good boots

Dress in layers but use quality base layers like Under armour

Oddly warm weather this year, so if you start the day out cold but end up in the 40's that is a huge temp swing in a 12 hour day. You start out cold, then sweat, then cooling off while wet. Synthetic clothing all the way, no cotton.

Any vest big enough for two birds is good enough but carry water too.

Are there different size vests out there in regards to carrying birds? Do vest load birds in the front or back? Anything specific to look for?

After thinking about vests, I want to make sure I get a comfortable and practical setup. I am not concerned with just getting the cheapest option.

Fishersjohn48

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Feb 19, 2009
    Fishers
    As far as a vest goes make sure it is front loading. PITA to load a rear loading vest by yourself. I am a fan of anything "wax cloth" or "briar shun". My biggest obstacle in pheasant hunting is getting through briars, brambles, heavy grass etc. My go to gear is Filson. Single Tin pants or chaps and vest for warmer days and coat for wet and or cold weather. Columbia used to make a good coat that I think is still around here that was called "briar shun" that worked well. Have not checked out their stuff lately to see if the quality is still there.

16025-main-281.jpg

This is the Filson Tin Cloth Vest.

Edit: after looking closely, I'm not sure this vest is front loading any more. couldn't tell from web site.

http://www.filson.com/products/tin-...lsProduct=mens/vests-liners&fmetaProduct=1011

Have these for when it is really nasty. Fislon tin cloth bibs.
    14029-main-341.jpg

http://www.filson.com/products/doub...fvalsProduct=mens/tin-cloth&fmetaProduct=1014

These get used more than anything. Filson single tin chaps and I like the Husky size.

14022-main-242.jpg

http://www.filson.com/products/sing...fvalsProduct=mens/tin-cloth&fmetaProduct=1014

Last edited:

illini40

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2010
    As far as a vest goes make sure it is front loading. PITA to load a rear loading vest by yourself.

OK - I think I need to be educated on front load vs. rear load. Do all vests store the birds on the back, but the front load just gives you access to the storage on the front of the vest to push the bird to the back?

zoglog

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Sep 20, 2009
    Hendricks Co
    I just ordered my Father-in-law a new pair of pants from Cabelas, they were about 50% off.

Putting birds in the back is a pain, but once you get one back there it gets easier. I like the vests that have individual slots for the shells instead of a dump pouch, but that is just my preference. Make sure they are easy to get to though.

You could be surprised how many shots you can take in a few second window. This last hunt I was on the outside of the fence row, two roosters popped up, got the first clean, second I hit, but need to hit again. As I was reloading a third took off, had the ammo not been handy I would have missed that last one. If your blocking make sure you are ready to shoot and reload!

Fishersjohn48

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Feb 19, 2009
    Fishers
    OK - I think I need to be educated on front load vs. rear load. Do all vests store the birds on the back, but the front load just gives you access to the storage on the front of the vest to push the bird to the back?

Some vests have the opening to the game pouch in the front and you put the bird in and push it around to the back or over your kidneys for some added warmth on cold days. Others only have an opening in the rear and unless you take your vest off or have someone else put the bird in for you it is a pain to load birds.

You might note that all of the gear I have recommended is "Tin Cloth or Waxed cloth" These items can be pretty stiff and can be a little tiring to wear. I feel that the protection afforded by this fabric is worth the stiffness but you may find other wise.

Freedom of movement in your arms, chest shoulder area is also very important. This is one reason I prefer a vest when ever possible. It allows more movement without binding leading to getting on birds quicker and easier.

illini40

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2010
    Some vests have the opening to the game pouch in the front and you put the bird in and push it around to the back or over your kidneys for some added warmth on cold days. Others only have an opening in the rear and unless you take your vest off or have someone else put the bird in for you it is a pain to load birds.

That makes sense. Thank you for the clarification. I will start looking around.

koenig clone

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    fairmount
    Ive seen so many treat pheasant hunting like a fashion show. Throw on your mud boots and an orange hat and roll. I bought my vest for 10 bucks at walmart years ago. We always leave with all our birds. Its a great time!

Theres nothin like a german shorthair. Love that dog!

DanO

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 27, 2009
    NW IN
    I was just out yesterday on an invited private hunt. If it is your fist hunt and you are not going with anyone you need to impress (bosse, etc.) just get a new pair of Carharrt overalls. Plain brown and stiff. This is what a lot of hardcore birdhunters . I was given a Filson huntin coat 15 years ago ad I can't wear it out if I tried. But if I didn't have it, I would buy one of the new "vests" which are more of a suspender with orange pockets.

Wool sox, waterproof boots, a pair of thin warm gloves ( I use fleece golding gloves with a leather palm), a water bottle or a small thermos with something to drink. Orange hat with a bill for the sun (amazing how birds like to come at me from the sun like Japanese bombers!). At least a box of KENT diamond shot with 1 1/8 oz of # 6 O #5 SHOT. "Shoot the head, don't spare the lead!"

Have fun

Gunaria

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 3, 2010
    Warrick Co.
    Invest in your feet! You can make due with blue jeans, any ol' regular hunting jacket and an orange beanie. But if your feet get wet and cold like as in a leaky pair of waders your hunt will not be all that fun. I got a pair of these LaCrosse boots and they work great for me. As for bird shot, Federal Pheasant Forever loads in 7.5 that go 1500 FPS will knock em down.

s7_831754_009_01

hps

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 26, 2009
    Heres a HOT tip take along some TURKEY loads sometimes the winds in pheasant country can make'em "get up" way in front of the hunters. when other hunters won't take those shots you'll be able.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    Lots of good advice here. I guess I am not too cool. I wear a hooded sweatshirt and a 10 dollar vest. A pair of solid hiking boots and I am GTG.

I don't hunt pheasants in swamps so I don't worry about getting real wet. I don't like the weight of chaps and bibs and all that stuff.

You will be walking a lot. Some of that stuff will just weigh you down. The bird can always be stored somewhere on you.

A good dog is nice, but not essential. Can you hit the bird that explodes out from under your feet? That is the real question....

I have hunted lots in MN and IA, I have seen them around here in similar terrain. Walking fencelines is productive. A field under water is not attractive to a pheasant in my experience.

Good luck, have fun.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    When you find a vest you love, you stick with it. I use a Columbia vest but from what I see on their web site right now I can't say I would buy their current heavy vest. I do not like to have a bunch of lose shells in a pocket/pouch. I will move shells to my favorite "grab spot" and reload from other loops when time is not critical but I like a lot of protected loops inside pockets or under flaps. I bet we could do a whole thread on vests.

Like posted already front loaders and "blood proof" are critical. Blood proof just means a heavy rubberized liner so you are not drenched in blood on your back/butt.

I usually wear wool gloves with grip dots and no finger tips. I carry my water in platypus water bottles with squirt caps. Easy for me and the dog.

Oh yeah, CHOKE TUBES but if in doubt I just use Full.

Old trick, look for the eye of the bird, then you really know you are on the head. If you can see the eye, you are on him. Don't get hung up on this, just file it away in your subconcious mind.

illini40

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2010
    Thanks everyone for the great advice. I think I am good to go after picking up two items: pair of brush pants and a front load vest that is blood-proof and comfortable.

I should be able to hit Cabelas soon, and they currently have some sales going on, so should work out well.

Top Bottom