Permit-less carry & US permanent residents.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tomahawkman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Aug 7, 2014
    Hamilton County
    Does anyone know or has it been discussed elsewhere, US permanent residents/green card holder, residing in Indiana and what this new constitutional carry bill means for them?

It was my understanding that IN would issue a 4 year LTCH.

Thank you for any input.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana

xwing

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 11, 2012
    Greene County
    Reading the bill, a lawful permanent resident should be good to go. A few of the states do specify "citizen" for Constitutional Carry, but most (inc. Indiana) do not. :)

MrSmitty

Master of useless information
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    New Albany
    Indiana has no statute on your citizenship, in fact we do not care EVEN IF YOU COME FROM KENTUCKY. Shocking I know, I, for one, demand that we close the Kentucky loophole.
    As a reformed Kentuckian, I take offense at that.....or is that defense......I am FROM Kentucky...... But I saw the light and moved to the great state of Indiana, I'll never live there again! Does it help that I've always liked Bobby Knight, AND always hated UK?

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Oh so that’s why you always spell “my rights” the way you do…
    Yes, to communicate with Kentuckians. It is vital to know The Enemy's language.

We on INGO may disagree over 9mm vs. .45acp but we can all agree, 1) anyone in the country legally may carry in Indiana without a license effective July 1st, 2) AND the Kentucky loophole must be closed.

tsm

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    Allen county
    No. The only exception is Kentuckians. They must stay out.
    So other than North Dakota, is that the rule in all other permitless states - that proper citizens from any other state can carry in any permitless state? Or is it more nuanced than that? (Not going to get into the Kentucky issue).

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    So other than North Dakota, is that the rule in all other permitless states - that proper citizens from any other state can carry in any permitless state? Or is it more nuanced than that? (Not going to get into the Kentucky issue).
    Sorry, do not know the law (or, soon-to-be law, lol) of other states.

All right thinking Hoosiers get into the Kentucky issue. We owe it to our children.

xwing

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 11, 2012
    Greene County

It's a little more nuanced, but not much. In all other permitless carry states besides ND (including in the near future IN, OH & AL), all US citizens (other than prohibited persons) from any state can carry without a license in that state. In most of them, it also includes anyone legally in the U.S. (ID & WV require U.S. citizen)

And regarding Kentucky: The best car in the world (in my extremely biased opinion) is built in Kentucky, so cut them some slack. ;) Also, they have one of the best Senators...

Last edited:

fzd

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 1, 2021
    Fishers
    As far as I know Indiana does not have additional restriction regarding non citizens carrying and possessing firearms. Although in practice only citizens can apply for lifetime carry permit.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    Yes, to communicate with Kentuckians. It is vital to know The Enemy's language.

We on INGO may disagree over 9mm vs. .45acp but we can all agree, 1) anyone in the country legally may carry in Indiana without a license effective July 1st, 2) AND the Kentucky loophole must be closed.
    Does this Kentucky loophole closing also include honorary Kentuckians? Such as let's say Kentucky Colonels?

Top Bottom