Permit got swallowed up in the mail - now what???

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    I called State police firearms division and asked the status of my permit. It was approved Oct. 28th and mailed Oct. 29th. I've never since it take a week to get something in the mail from Indianapolis, so I'm thinking it isn't going to make it to my mail box. So, now what???

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I would wait a couple of more days, but you can always order a copy. It's $20, but since the permit isn't delivered Registered Mail, you may be out of luck.

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    My 2002 got lost in the mail. I called the state police and asked told them I never received it. They answered "tough luck, a replacement is $5 (at that time). I did not react well.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    Anyone have an address to the firearms division? If I have to pay another $40 (my wife and I), I'd rather do it in person and wait for them to give me a copy...

Steelman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 21, 2008
    Danville, IN
    I had the same problem (moved after applying for permit). Never received permit in the mail. Called the firearms desk at 317-233-5054 and spoke to Debbie Self. DO NOT waste your time with the knuckleheads at the main desk. Debbie re-printed my permit, at no cost, and I received it within two business days.

ryanmercer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    Speedway, IN
    I called State police firearms division and asked the status of my permit. It was approved Oct. 28th and mailed Oct. 29th. I've never since it take a week to get something in the mail from Indianapolis, so I'm thinking it isn't going to make it to my mail box. So, now what???

I'd give it a little longer. I live in Speedway, if I mail something to someone else in Speedway (like a birthday or Christmas card) it can easily take 2 weeks, and often does. My grandfather always mails birthday cards out a week or so in advance and they'll usually get here late (with a postmark a week or more old).

winot

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    How did you find this out? I mailed in mine and my wife's on Oct. 14, money orders cashed on Oct 17th.

Just curious as to what day you sent yours in and if you know when your money orders were cashed.

I'm anxious because we are traveling over Thanksgiving and hope we have them by Nov.25 when we are leaving.

Thanks for your info, and congratulations to you both.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    We applied on September 16th. Phone number for Indiana State Police Firearms Division is 317-233-5054

winot

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    Thanks! So you have them in hand now? So 7 weeks? Damn, It will be 5 weeks from the day we mailed in, to the day we are leaving. Not looking good, most have been 5wks+ lately.

winot

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    Well they said maybe. Said they are running at 5-6wks right now. I'll just have to wait it out and see what happens.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    You guys are lucky. Spasmo and I waited just over 90 days each for our lifetime permits.

VN Vet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Is there a web site where you can track you PPP application? I got back from the IMPD from making my Indiana application this afternoon. I had to move from this Great State eight years ago for my job, but now I am back. While in past years I never had a problem on getting my pemit in a timely manner, there is always the first, so if there is a way of tracking this process, please tell me. Thank you so much.

INGO is a Great Forum and I am Proud to be a Supporting Member.

ryanmercer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    Speedway, IN
    I believe I waited 5 or 6 weeks for my lifetime earlier in the year... I posted in the big thread about it.

Congrats though on it coming!!!

m2hoss

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Sep 6, 2008
    Indy area
    When I did my 4 year I think the lady at the sheriff's department copied my address wrong and when I thought it was taking too long, I called the state police. They actually found it, corrected the address, and I had it probably 5 days later.

VN Vet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Indianapolis
    A majority of the State Police with the firearms division are totally rude assholes.

Not really. The State Police that I know at the Post Road Office are good guys who support the rest of us being licensed. But, like every place they could have an AH amoung them, but they usually won't last long. They'll get transferred to the REGION.

Last edited:

22rssix

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   2
    Mar 27, 2008
    Indianapolis
    When I moved, I submitted my address change form(same as a lost card form). I got it back within about 10days.

So getting it replaced is a pain and cost the 20 bucks, but it will not take the 5 weeks...

Also the times that I have called the ISP firearm division they were really nice and stuff.

also before you sign it, take it to kinko's and get a few copies to keep on hand.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    Yeah, don't take it to Staples. I went there to get it copied and the girl was going to copy it on white paper. I told her I wanted pink - just like the permit and she went on this spiel about it being a federal document and it was illegal for them to copy it. My wife started to say something and I told her to forget it. I went to the paper aisle, grabbed pink paper, had the lady ring it up, and walked out...

Top Bottom