• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • J

jerbur6

is it legal to make copies of your permit and if you lose original to carry a copy?

Barry in IN

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2008
    I don't know about that, but they will send you a replacement. Or, at least they did.
    I got one once, and they were pretty quick getting it to me. I don't recall the cost, if any, but it's probably changed by now anyway.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    RE: Gun permit‏
    Sent:Fri 3/28/08 1:17 PM
    To: kludge

Sir, if you need more clarification on this matter, please contact Major Jerome Ezell at 1-800-552-8917.

Thanks,
    Sandy

Sent: Friday, March 28, 2008 9:30 AM
    To: Stark, Sandra
    Subject: RE: Gun permit

Dear Sandy,

Hence the question. :) Is it legal or illegal? The Attourney General's office was also unable to answer this question. Since it is not covered in law does that mean it's legal? I know you probably can't answer that, but maybe you can answer this: Will I be arrested because I'm carrying a photocopy of a handgun license?

Now that we have lifetime licenses, there's little chance that a piece of pink 20# paper is going to last. Furthermore, the size of the license is problematic. The license comes with the recommendation to laminate the license, however, when laminated the license no longer fits the standard card slot in a wallet.

There are a number of us discussing these issues on an online forum, and we're trying to get good information.

Thanks for you help!

Best regards,
    kludge

Subject: Re: Gun permit
    Date: Fri, 28 Mar 2008 09:14:20 -0400
    To: kludge
    Dear Mr. kludge:​
    There is nothing in the Indiana State codes that address this issue. If you have any other questions, please let us know.​
    Thanks,
    Sandy Stark
    Indiana State Police Firearms Section
    Indiana Government Center North
    100 N Senate Ave
    Indianapolis, IN 46204
    317-232-8264

karlsgunbunker

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2008
    A replacement copy is $20.
    How are they going to tell a copy from the original, if you use the right color paper and a good copier?

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Based upon the recommendation of another member, I will be making several copies of my lifetime permit, then signing each one individually and laminating them. One for each car, one for the safe box, one for wallet, one to keep in safe place at remote location, etc.

This is a "lifetime" permit, and I need them to last a lifetime.

4sarge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    FREEDONIA
    A replacement copy is $20.
    How are they going to tell a copy from the original, if you use the right color paper and a good copier?

and you sir are the winner ;) the State uses stock paper available almost anywhere

unless you display multiple licenses or volunteer information that it is a copy no one else will know but you.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I know a few people who have scanned them into high-quality lossless (NOT jpg!) format and then they just print off a copy whenever they need one.

pinhead56

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Indianapolis
    hmm, this sounds like a good question for Bryan Lee Ciyou Esq's book "Indiana Handgun Law". Let's see... on pg 41 in section 2.22 "Replacement of Lost or Damaged License", he basically says that you should just request a replacement for $20 especially considering that some businesses take it for secondary identification and given that identity theft is a serious current issue. I'm not sure what that says about making a copy... although I did and I hope to never need them!

laminate, laminate, laminate to make it last as long as possible

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    hmm, this sounds like a good question for Bryan Lee Ciyou Esq's book "Indiana Handgun Law". Let's see... on pg 41 in section 2.22 "Replacement of Lost or Damaged License", he basically says that you should just request a replacement for $20 especially considering that some businesses take it for secondary identification and given that identity theft is a serious current issue. I'm not sure what that says about making a copy... although I did and I hope to never need them!

laminate, laminate, laminate to make it last as long as possible

IMHO this would be an excellent opportunity to contact him with this question. Icing on the cake would be notification that INGO exists. He needs to be a member!

scully

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    I copied mine at kinko's. Look just like the original's. This allows me to keep a copy in each vehicle(along with the registrations). No matter where I go there is always a copy with me. Seems like good insurance to me.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    IMHO this would be an excellent opportunity to contact him with this question. Icing on the cake would be notification that INGO exists. He needs to be a member!

Sounds like an excellent idea.

Here is what I sent:

To: bryanlciyou@sbcglobal.net
    RE: New Firearms Forum in Indiana

Mr. Ciyou,

I had the pleasure of meeting you and your wife Julie at the Indy 1500 Gun & Knife show in 2007. My father and I were introduced by a co-worker of his named Terry F*****. We purchased a copy of "Indiana Handgun Law" and now keep it as a reference manual for whenever we have questions. I also keep your card in my wallet behind my Indiana LTCH.

Although I'm sure you are a very busy man, I would like to invite you to join a growing internet-based firearms community specifically for the residents of Indiana. It was started in January as a means of connecting Hoosiers with an interest in various topics ranging from reloading ammunition to self-defense and the law.

There are currently 460 registered members, and that number grows every day. It is truly an example of "an armed forum is a polite forum".

The site can be accessed at INGunOwners - Indiana Gun Owners Community

Thanks for your time and your service to the firearms community.

Sincerely,

Evan R***
    Indianapolis, IN

465guy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2008
    Great idea and thanks for contacting him esrice! I hope he comes on here and educates us on some things. For him I would think it would be an excellent way to get some clients as well.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    The only thing I worry about is how much of a "disclaimer" he'll legally have to have to post such things online. It would be AWESOME to have his knowledge on tap, but I'm sure he doesn't want some dufus shooting someone and then claiming "Well Bryan Ciyou said it was justified on INGO!" lol

Thickburger

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Indianapolis
    what is the point to the permit copy? the only person asking to see your permit should be law enforcement; and the permit is attached to your driver's license. anytime an LEO runs your license it pops up that you have a permit to carry.

Top Bottom