• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Checkfoo

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Apr 8, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I dremeled the dimples out of my 870 mag tube. I used a medium grade abrasive and finished it with a stiff wire brush attachment to smooth the exposed metal surface inside the tube. I used alcohol towelettes to clean the surface and then moved to the bluing process.

I've applied it five times now and am not getting an appreciable coating or color change. The first two times I followed the instructions and just applied the paste with a q-tip and let it sit for 60 seconds. The next three times I ended up working the paste into the metal for about a minute, then let it sit with no real effect.

I'm wondering if I need to use a finer sandpaper to score the inside of the tube in order to get the bluing to take?

Any help with this or if anyone know of a more appropriate product to protect the exposed metal in the tube would be appreciated.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2011
    I have been using that same cold blue on a small pistol with lots of holster wear. As a matter of fact, I have been using EVERY cold blue product on that pistol. It never gets real dark and the blue comes flying off in a very short time. To answer your question, in my experience the nicer the polish is the more the metal rejects the bluing.

There is an ingo guy here who does hot bluing who offered to hot blue my little derringer for free, but I haven't taken it apart yet. (it's got a zinc frame that would need to be painted too, and I am not anxious to start the project on a fully functional gun) maybe he will chime in with advise soon.

Search for a post "project generosity" and you will see a guy who did a real nice restoration on a whole rifle, including complete bluing. He could be an experienced voice to listen to also.

giovani

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2012
    Clean your tube and a pad of 0000 steel wool with alcohol , due to the fact that steel wool is covered in oil to keep it from rusting.

Then apply the cold blue paste with the steel wool, that is about the best finish you can get with cold blue.

Some steels take the cold blue better than others.

Your only other option is hot blueing.

richardraw316

Master
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    Dec 12, 2011
    The Danville
    The person you should talk to is GREEN607. he did the blueing on the rifle, and knows alot more about it than i do.
    plus his prices a very reasonable. i am sure he will give you free advice.

Nayls47

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 26, 2009
    Noble County
    Clean your tube and a pad of 0000 steel wool with alcohol , due to the fact that steel wool is covered in oil to keep it from rusting.

Then apply the cold blue paste with the steel wool, that is about the best finish you can get with cold blue.

Some steels take the cold blue better than others.

Your only other option is hot blueing.

:+1: Also wear gloves. The oil on your hand will kill the chemical reaction. Heating it up helps as well.

Top Bottom