• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • minx

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    SW Indiana
    I have 2 young girls in our home, 10 & 13. Would you arm them with pepper spray for a last line of defense? I would like them to have access to this item in their bedrooms. I think a firearm in there possession would be reckless, but less than lethal item like this gives them options if there is an intruder.

Any thoughts, brands? Do you have this item at your bedside? I know most would say anything less than a .45 is just foolish. Preparedness is something this forum teaches. So pepper or not? :twocents:

AndersonIN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 21, 2009
    Anderson, IN
    I think a wise choice but I'd also be doing some beginning weapon training ASAP.

Remember using pepper spray means never having to say you're sorry! ........ just quit crying and go wash up!

jamstutz

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 9, 2008
    Berne
    While I would never suggest spraying a 10 or 13 year old daughter with OC, I believe it would be a good idea for them to be aware of the effects of the spray before they are in a situation where they may need to use it. Perhaps they should view some of the videos on YouTube of officers going through OC spray training, then maybe you could spray some in a somewhat open area and they could get an idea of the peripheral effects. At that point they could decide for themselves whether or not they think OC is something they could use to defend themselves. It would also show them that OC is serious stuff and not something to be used as a prank. :twocents:

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    The shore of wonderful Lake Michigan
    While I would never suggest spraying a 10 or 13 year old daughter with OC, I believe it would be a good idea for them to be aware of the effects of the spray before they are in a situation where they may need to use it. Perhaps they should view some of the videos on YouTube of officers going through OC spray training, then maybe you could spray some in a somewhat open area and they could get an idea of the peripheral effects. At that point they could decide for themselves whether or not they think OC is something they could use to defend themselves. It would also show them that OC is serious stuff and not something to be used as a prank. :twocents:

I would think if you gave a ten and thirteen year old sisters pepper spray, they'd be using it on each other the first time there's a fight for use of the bathroom.

I think it is a fairly effective means of defense for a spray and run scenerio. They do need to know that it takes a few seconds to take affect, so they shouldn't spray and stand there wondering why it isn't working.

public servant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    I would think if you gave a ten and thirteen year old sisters pepper spray, they'd be using it on each other the first time there's a fight for use of the bathroom.
    Use this though and they'll only do it once.

$%28KGrHqJ,%21loE64NcnCfKBO8rfGfLlg%7E%7E60_35.JPG

At that age...maybe not a good idea. But you know their maturity level better than we do.

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    The shore of wonderful Lake Michigan
    We used to use that. I honestly don't even know what kind we carry now. I've had mine so long the label has worn off. I don't ever use it. Everyone I've ever sprayed or seen sprayed has only gotten angrier, started swinging blindly, and spit mucus everywhere.

That isn't to say it is not an effective tool. I'd imagine it's good if you can spray and run...it sucks if you have to spray and then subdue the subject.

9mmfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2011
    Mishawaka

:yesway:

Definitely! Every time you use it on someone plan on getting some on you. Never fails. :crying:

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    We used to use that. I honestly don't even know what kind we carry now. I've had mine so long the label has worn off. I don't ever use it. Everyone I've ever sprayed or seen sprayed has only gotten angrier, started swinging blindly, and spit mucus everywhere.

That isn't to say it is not an effective tool. I'd imagine it's good if you can spray and run...it sucks if you have to spray and then subdue the subject.

I agree. Especially in an enclosed room, you've just pepper sprayed everyone. Its not effective immediately, it takes awhile to "build" before the real suck starts. By that time an intruder with any dedication at all is on you, then its physical fight time and you are both being blinded.

I used to assist in teaching a woman's self defense class. One thing I would do is a 21' drill with the ladies having their OC of choice ready to go. The ones who "won" simply outran me (not tough to do, granted). If it was in their purse they universally couldn't get it out in time. Round 2 let them start with it in their hand and they usually missed me. The few good hits I did get didn't start burning until I was on them, again unless they outran me. I was not a "dedicated" attacker either, as soon as it started to burn I stopped and the scenario was over.

When I've used it as a police officer its seldom worked as desired. Again because it takes too long and because of drugs in the system or just bull-headed-ness.

Teach them to groin kick, eye scratch, and RUN.

wtfd661

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    North East Indiana
    When I worked the Jail (for a lot of years :() we used First Defense Mark IV Pepper spray. I literally used it hundreds of times and only had it not work 1 time and that was with a can from a bad batch that the case was sent back and replaced. I have it for my daughters to use "just in case" at home and they have not used it once on each other while fighting over the bathroom :):. They both have been taught to spray it and RUN!!!

Here is a link to it.

First Defense Pepper Spray "MK3" MK4

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Mishawaka
    how about the stuff that shoots in a stream and foams up instantly?

It that stuff any good? My wife says the foam sticks to the skin and runs down in the eyes/face.. I imagine this would be effective sooner than just spraying and praying.

Thoughts ?

lrahm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 17, 2011
    Newburgh
    The effects don't just go away. After some good opening of all the nasal passages and an hour of rinsing out the eyes they will decide that they don't want to have anything to do with this stuff.

public servant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    how about the stuff that shoots in a stream and foams up instantly?

It that stuff any good? My wife says the foam sticks to the skin and runs down in the eyes/face.. I imagine this would be effective sooner than just spraying and praying.

Thoughts ?
    The foam is too easy to wipe off and be rubbed back in your own face. They can wipe the foam off almost quicker than it can run into their eyes.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    I have 2 young girls in our home, 10 & 13. Would you arm them with pepper spray for a last line of defense? I would like them to have access to this item in their bedrooms. I think a firearm in there possession would be reckless, but less than lethal item like this gives them options if there is an intruder.

Any thoughts, brands? Do you have this item at your bedside? I know most would say anything less than a .45 is just foolish. Preparedness is something this forum teaches. So pepper or not? :twocents:

If you think they are responsible enough to use pepper spray why just let them have it at home and not outside? :dunno:

Having them "armed" inside the house but "unarmed" outside where they are more at risk doesn't seem logical to me.

I would not rely on a condiment for home defense, sure it hurts but if someone is determined enough to break into your home (they already broke your front door and everything) to hurt your family they will not be stop by pepper spray.
    Your kids might not have the posibility to run away if they are attacked in their bedroom, it's not like getting attacked in the street where you have many routes to escape.
    Pepper spray is a good option only if you also carry something lethal and if you can get away from the threat.

Also if they use it indoor and get blinded by it (depending what type you use) it could be a problem as well. :dunno:

minx

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    SW Indiana
    If you think they are responsible enough to use pepper spray why just let them have it at home and not outside? :dunno:

Having them "armed" inside the house but "unarmed" outside where they are more at risk doesn't seem logical to me.

I would not rely on a condiment for home defense, sure it hurts but if someone is determined enough to break into your home (they already broke your front door and everything) to hurt your family they will not be stop by pepper spray.
    Your kids might not have the posibility to run away if they are attacked in their bedroom, it's not like getting attacked in the street where you have many routes to escape.
    Pepper spray is a good option only if you also carry something lethal and if you can get away from the threat.

Also if they use it indoor and get blinded by it (depending what type you use) it could be a problem as well. :dunno:

Personal defense spray is not legal at schools. Home alone (followed home)is my current fear. Excellent comments, I also think a self defense class would be a wise choice. Paralyzed with fear would be a normal response, training could teach the flee response.

Top Bottom