• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cg21

Master
    May 5, 2012
    Which style is preferred for indoor use? The silent wood/clay type or the loud indestructible steel?

I am leaning towards steel with clay in it to catch spawling and sound. But would like to hear others experience with them if there is any first hand knowledge here I’d even settle for second hand. Have a good day.

cg21

Master
    May 5, 2012
    I've got a standard steel, but I have several t-shirts stuffed in the back to deadening sound.
    Got a pic? Does it kick lead out the front? I like this idea best sounds easy to retrieve lead

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    Got a pic? Does it kick lead out the front? I like this idea best sounds easy to retrieve lead
    I have a small Detroit Pistol bullet trap,
    I bought it to do quick tests on my handgun reloads without going out to the range.
    It was well used when my sons were small.
    I would lay either a piece of heavy carpet or conveyor belt across the top and down the back of it.
    Cleaning it out was as simple as turning it upside down on a piece of cardboard.
    This is it on its side with the tires in it. lol

20230713_145414.jpg

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    IMG_20230713_174119170_HDR.jpg IMG_20230713_174021236_HDR.jpg
    Here's mine.
    It's a J.C. Higgins .22cal bullet trap
    I have it set up in the kitchen, where I can get a line of sight from my couch in the living room
    I've got about a 30' shot...more or less.

I get trigger time in when I'm watching the news, or a movie...
    I don't mind the sound.

Hawkeye7br

Expert
    Jul 9, 2015
    Terre Haute
    I use duct seal in a wooden box.
    we use these for silo sighter targets. They work well.

We had a 4H kid built a trap as a fair project. He used an old rural type mailbox. Fitted cardboard to the opening at the front, stuffed clothes and cut a piece of 3/4" board for the back. Tape or push pin a target at the front, the mailbox is deep enough that pellets can't bounce out. Just shut the door and store when not in use.

Jvernon

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    Indianapolis
    There’s some cool DIY rubber mulch pellet trap YouTubes out there. I’ve been meaning to make one. There’s one area of my house I can set up for 10m.

Last edited:

Glocker99

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Jul 13, 2020
    Westfield
    I built a wooden trap with a steel plate behind duct seal, haven't had a pellet get to the steel plate yet. It is heavy but it won't fall over. Cut a slot to slide a piece of cardboard into for a target backer. Seems to work well.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I use a cardboard box, about 6 inches thick.

I put a piece of plywood on the back side just in case. I stuff the box with old towels and socks. Since I use an A-44 target with 5 bullseyes, I end up with 5 dime sized holes that eventually wear further toward the plywood. At about 10 tins of pellets, I shake the rags out and restuff them before any pellets touch plywood. I have used the same cardboard box since I bought this house in 2012.

I have used similar boxes since 1968. When I was single the box was on my living room wall and I could stand in my Bedroom door to get my Olympic regulation 10 meter practice distance. After I got married I found out I was not supposed to do that.

Max Volume

Master
    Site Supporter
    Jul 26, 2008
    da region Highland
    I've used a paper grocery bag filled with old magazines for awhile but it needed to be replaced often. Then I got this Highwild off Amazon. The only problem is it harmlessly splatters lead out the front all the time that is annoying to clean. I have some old carpet to put in the back to try or stuff it with old t-shirts. I can get about 30'.
    thumbnail (96).jpg

kennedy759

Sharpshooter
    May 15, 2014
    New Salisbury Ind
    I have two of the steel traps like the one above for shooting .22 in my garage, its 60ft long, I use heavy cardboard behind the paper target to catch splatter. One of the traps I have welded 3/16 plate on the angled back and lower back for lead .38

Whip_McCord

Expert
    May 14, 2010
    NWI
    Take a cardboard box. Toward the back, hang an piece of carpet attached on top but unattached at the bottom. In the front, hang the target. The carpet will swing when hit. The pellet will stopp and fall to the bottom of the box. This works great for BBs too, and you could collect the BBs and reuse them. Easy and cheap to make.

KokomoDave

Enigma Suspect
    Site Supporter
    Oct 20, 2008
    Kokomo
    I used old scrap that I welded together but rust is taking hold of the frame. It has seen better days. At my old house I just shot a silk handkerchief suspended from a clothesline.

cg21

Master
    May 5, 2012
    Found the metal style trap for cheaper. Going to go that route, stuff some towels in it and maybe a piece of cardboard towards the front behind the target. Should offer some good winter entertainment.

Top Bottom