• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HKUSP

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Danville, IN
    I have a vexing car problem I need to be looking at, so instead here I am stalling.

SO, Paul Harrell's gun channel on YouTube. I really like his testing methods. I dig his wry sense of humor, especially when he's responding to critics. It's an enjoyable channel. HOWEVER....

There have been a few things he has spoken about I would like to discuss because on their face I don't agree with his assertions.

First, he seems to believe that because of a famous Arizona case the 10mm is not a good carry caliber because of it's perceived massive power potential. He believes that a prosecutor could easily make the case that you had murderous intent by simply carrying the 10mm. I don't agree, even though I don't even own one. (I am attracted to the idea though, and it's on my wish list). I would like to think a good defense attorney could easily disprove that assertion by showing the available power levels of other calibers that don't have such a reputation like .357 Magnum, or .357 SIG which both have loadings that cross the same curves as available 10mm loads.

Next, in a different video he discusses the concept of the BUG. He asserts that carrying a BUG is actually illegal in most states. I can't find that sort of information anywhere. In fact, the only information I could locate was out of New Mexico. Apparently, you may only carry one handgun concealed there, and any others must be openly carried.

Lastly for this post, Mr. Harrell speaks about carrying mixed types of ammunition to be a bad idea. He references anecdotal evidence that officers frown on carrying more than one type of ammunition or staggering rounds of different types because that is apparently something criminals do, and it makes you look more like a criminal type in the eyes of the law. That one bothered me a bit, because I used to carry a .357 loaded with .38 Special indexed to be the first two shots. My rationale was increased control and better shot placement for what would most likely be the only shots needed in an altercation. I have to admit, it bothered me enough I took the .38s out and loaded up with all .357s. Is there something to this or am I overreacting?

Chris

minuteman32

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 23, 2008
    Central IN
    I, too, like that channel. Most of his info seems to be pretty good, but some of it might be jurisdictionary specific, like the illegal BUG (only NM) or murderous intent due to a certain load/caliber/etc. I do think there is 'some' validity to the mixed ammo theory. I also believe that one could provide a logical reason for some of those occurrences. Case in point; I was told by a corrections officer that their shotguns were loaded with smaller to larger shot for each successive shot. Also, if they shot a prisoner, they would dig out the shot & it had to be flat on one side (showing that they shot the ground in front of said prisoner), or the CO would be charged. While I sincerely doubt the accuracy of that info I also believe that Paul has a lot of experience in the area of firearms & training, but I also believe that not 100% is transferable to every gun owner in America. I stil think a lot of his info has good value.
    I personally wouldn't (and don't) worry about what gun/load/caliber I use for self defense. If I use one it will be a justified use & anything else will be trivial. Perhaps that is a little naive. That being said, I carry a 9mm Glock 19, 26 &/or 43 or an LC9 loaded with Gold Dots or HST, an LCPII w/ Lehigh Extreme Defenders &/or LCR 357 w/ Gold Dot short bbl 38.
    Just my $.02.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I, too, like that channel. Most of his info seems to be pretty good, but some of it might be jurisdictionary specific, like the illegal BUG (only NM) or murderous intent due to a certain load/caliber/etc. I do think there is 'some' validity to the mixed ammo theory. I also believe that one could provide a logical reason for some of those occurrences. Case in point; I was told by a corrections officer that their shotguns were loaded with smaller to larger shot for each successive shot. Also, if they shot a prisoner, they would dig out the shot & it had to be flat on one side (showing that they shot the ground in front of said prisoner), or the CO would be charged. While I sincerely doubt the accuracy of that info I also believe that Paul has a lot of experience in the area of firearms & training, but I also believe that not 100% is transferable to every gun owner in America. I stil think a lot of his info has good value.
    I personally wouldn't (and don't) worry about what gun/load/caliber I use for self defense. If I use one it will be a justified use & anything else will be trivial. Perhaps that is a little naive. That being said, I carry a 9mm Glock 19, 26 &/or 43 or an LC9 loaded with Gold Dots or HST, an LCPII w/ Lehigh Extreme Defenders &/or LCR 357 w/ Gold Dot short bbl 38.
    Just my $.02.

I had no idea NM prohibited carrying more than one concealed handgun. On the other hand, you can openly carry as many as you like if you are otherwise within their laws.

hopper68

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 15, 2011
    Pike County
    Just my $.02.

But which gun fits your hand better?

HKUSP

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Danville, IN
    I had no idea NM prohibited carrying more than one concealed handgun. On the other hand, you can openly carry as many as you like if you are otherwise within their laws.

I thought it was an odd quirk too. It stuck out in my mind after coming across it comparing laws by state. Perhaps other states like CA and NY or NJ have it down to restricting you to a single carry gun, but those are also places I avoid. I just haven't heard of anything like that out here in the Midwest. Ohio doesn't care, I'm pretty certain Indiana doesn't care either.

The way it came across in the video, he thinks it's illegal in most states.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I thought it was an odd quirk too. It stuck out in my mind after coming across it comparing laws by state. Perhaps other states like CA and NY or NJ have it down to restricting you to a single carry gun, but those are also places I avoid. I just haven't heard of anything like that out here in the Midwest. Ohio doesn't care, I'm pretty certain Indiana doesn't care either.

The way it came across in the video, he thinks it's illegal in most states.

It's similar to the old "if it's the Law in Texas, it must be the law everywhere" as per Kirk Freeman, but modified for New Mexico!

In California if you are among the anointed few with a carry license, you list up to three handguns on your license including the serial numbers. You may carry any of those, but only those guns. I don't think they thought through people wanting to carry two or three at the same time, but the licenses are so rare, it probably doesn't matter to those who would choose to restrict rights even further.

Herr Vogel

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2018
    Rossburg
    On using mixed ammunition, my understanding is that it's a cover-your-posterior thing in case the prosecutor decides that you really need to be made an example of and by god he's going to nail you with something.
    The reasoning goes -- and you'll have to forgive me as it's been a long time since I last thought about this -- that by deliberately choosing to load mixed ammunition, you demonstrate premeditated intent. Let's say you load your shotgun with the first round birdshot and the rest 00 buck. You could have chosen to load all 'less lethal' cartridges, but you didn't, meaning you were obviously out for blood from the get-go. Alternatively, you could have loaded NO 'less lethal' cartridges, but you didn't, so obviously you were trying to mutilate the guy out of sadism.
    I'm probably getting some details wrong, I Am Not A Lawyer, and this is definitely an example of Lawyer Logic™.

And about Paul Harrell, it's like any other unsolicited advice on the Internet. Take it with a grain of salt, don't take anything as gospel, corroborate with multiple sources. Just because someone is knowledgeable in one field doesn't mean they're knowledgeable in another. Worse, some people are really good at acting like they know what they're talking about, until they cover something you personally know well, and you realize they're just regurgitating Wikipedia, 'common knowledge' and unsubstantiated bull. Not accusing Harrell of either, mind, just speaking in generalizations.

Also, does anyone else think he looks/acts/sounds like Barney Fife? Especially when he gets excited and drops the deliberate monotone?

HKUSP

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Danville, IN
    It's similar to the old "if it's the Law in Texas, it must be the law everywhere" as per Kirk Freeman, but modified for New Mexico!

In California if you are among the anointed few with a carry license, you list up to three handguns on your license including the serial numbers. You may carry any of those, but only those guns. I don't think they thought through people wanting to carry two or three at the same time, but the licenses are so rare, it probably doesn't matter to those who would choose to restrict rights even further.

I understand NV is similar, with five guns being the choices. That still doesn't make the concept of a BUG out of the question. I'm just trying to figure out where Mr. Harrell got this information. He doesn't seem like the type to pass along unsubstantiated BS he heard third hand at a gun store.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I understand NV is similar, with five guns being the choices. That still doesn't make the concept of a BUG out of the question. I'm just trying to figure out where Mr. Harrell got this information. He doesn't seem like the type to pass along unsubstantiated BS he heard third hand at a gun store.

We should ask! I'll be he would be willing to answer and discuss.

ECS686

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Brazil
    Just my $.02.

Respectfully I believe the CO was misguided or took to much weight in whoever told them that. I can speak on the CO part as while the scenerio you listed (way agency X loads shotguns) might be their department policy (although the Fed BOP and almost no other agencies have policy or train to "bounce lethal rounds off the ground".

A 12 ga shotgun with buck shot can not be made a less lethal shotgun period. So it must be a state thing. A good shoot is a good shoot. Now there can be "can be" some difference in using Deadly Force legally inside a fence compared to outside however again a good shoot is a good shoot. And to think a bullet has to be flattened to show it was shot in accordance to a policy is a workplace rumor.

That being said I have seen folks not charged because they were legal however an internal affairs they could be diciplined for a department policy violation which violation of policy usually isn't criminal.

As far as Paul Harrell he does have an interesting channel that makes sense for the most part.

Last edited:

Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    Top Bottom