• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ranger Rick

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 6, 2008
    In GOD'S country
    Tomorrow is Patriot Day, The American Flag fly's at Half mast from sunrise to sunset. The Flag is raised to full mast for a second and lowered to half mast, then when lowering raised to full mast for a second and lowered. All other flags flown should be flown at half mast or removed. GOD BLESS AMERICA:patriot:

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    When did it start being called Patriot Day?

From Wikipedia:

U.S. House of Representatives Joint Resolution 71 was approved by a vote of 407–0 on October 25, 2001. It requested that the President designate September 11 of each year as "Patriot Day". President George W. Bush signed the resolution into law on December 18, 2001 (as Public Law 107-89[1]). It is a discretionary day of remembrance. On September 4, 2002, President Bush used his authority created by the resolution and proclaimed September 11, 2002 as Patriot Day.

lordjackel

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Aug 20, 2008
    Southern Arkansas
    On flags flown on your house you can attach a black ribbon or streamer the width of the stripe and length of flag just above the flag....

Interesting...I had never heard this. Where do you find this type information and what does the single black ribbon (above the flag) supposed to mean? I mean who determined a black ribbon above the flag should mean this?

Just curious to learn more.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    Most of the holders on the side of the house have a second angle you can put the flag into that holds it horizontal. That position is the half mast position for a wall mount. I am unaware of any newer mounts that dont have that feature.

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    I came home from being out of town this weekend and found my house-mounted flagpole snapped off and my flag lying on the ground. Apparently none of my neighbors noticed it. Will try to get a replacement for tomorrow.

Dybber

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2012
    South side Indy
    I've been known to fly the flag out of the bed of my truck. I'm not sure what the flag protocol would say about doing that on Patriot Day. If flags should be at half mast I don't think I should fly it out of the truck.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    I've been known to fly the flag out of the bed of my truck. I'm not sure what the flag protocol would say about doing that on Patriot Day. If flags should be at half mast I don't think I should fly it out of the truck.

I would think flying a flag at full staff would show more repsect than NOT flying one AT ALL

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana

There is some info on flags displayed from vehicles here:

USFlag.org: A website dedicated to the Flag of the United States of America - United States Code

(b) The flag should not be draped over the hood, top, sides, or back of a vehicle or of a railroad train or a boat. When the flag is displayed on a motorcar, the staff shall be fixed firmly to the chassis or clamped to the right fender.

It does not give indication of how to fly "half mast" in a vehicle.

I will be displaying mine at 1/2 mast tomorrow. NEVER FORGET!

jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Tomorrow is Patriot Day, The American Flag fly's at Half mast from sunrise to sunset. The Flag is raised to full mast for a second and lowered to half mast, then when lowering raised to full mast for a second and lowered. All other flags flown should be flown at half mast or removed. GOD BLESS AMERICA:patriot:

The College Republicans, along with some other student groups, placed 2977 flags at the Engineering Fountain at Purdue this morning, in recognition of those that lost their lives on 9-11.

And yes, my back is killing me.

Top Bottom