• ...and so much more!
  • Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Did not want to threadjack BE Mike.

Retaining Wall 2.0 is now completed, however the new grass on the backfill is not taking all the way. Have large swatch down center of nothing (well, straw).

Tried Scott's seed from Ace Hardware. Nothing so far (planted Sunday after rain), no germination.

Southern Exposure, no cover, full value sun, slight grade.

Any suggestions? It is beginning to bug me (been 5 weeks now). When do I give up on the seed and go to sod?

Fishersjohn48

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Feb 19, 2009
    Fishers
    Water, water, water. Depending on the variety of seed you planted, it could take up to 14 days for germination. It is imperative that the seedbed stays moist at all times while trying to germinate grass seed. We have cool season grass types that are trying to germinate and grow in 80's + temps. Once the seed germinates and begins to grow, cut back the frequency of watering but increase the time that the water runs to allow the water to soak in letting the surface dry out a little between watering. This forces the grass to send roots deeper into the soil.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    If just having it green would suffice you're welcome to come dig up some of the clover which makes up 85% of my lawn. Been here 13 years and I've given up on getting rid of it. For some reason the clay thy put down for my "lawn" that came from digging the retention pond just doesn't seem to be great for growing grass, I'm sure the builder wasn't aware.

The good news is I'm sure it'll survive a nuclear winter so you'd still have a nice green lawn.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Water, water, water. Depending on the variety of seed you planted, it could take up to 14 days for germination. It is imperative that the seedbed stays moist at all times while trying to germinate grass seed. We have cool season grass types that are trying to germinate and grow in 80's + temps. Once the seed germinates and begins to grow, cut back the frequency of watering but increase the time that the water runs to allow the water to soak in letting the surface dry out a little between watering. This forces the grass to send roots deeper into the soil.

Ok, do AM and PM watering. Leave hose draped through my back garage's downspout (hope neighbor is cool with it).

Got to have more patience, huh?

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    If just having it green would suffice you're welcome to come dig up some of the clover which makes up 85% of my lawn. Been here 13 years and I've given up on getting rid of it. For some reason the clay thy put down for my "lawn" that came from digging the retention pond just doesn't seem to be great for growing grass, I'm sure the builder wasn't aware.

The good news is I'm sure it'll survive a nuclear winter so you'd still have a nice green lawn.

Well, if you can bale it, you can sell it to my dad for his horses.:D

Fishersjohn48

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Feb 19, 2009
    Fishers
    Ok, do AM and PM watering. Leave hose draped through my back garage's downspout (hope neighbor is cool with it).

Got to have more patience, huh?

Yup. This is really a bad time to try to grow grass. Not impossible, but difficult. Patience is required unfortunately. If possible, try to make the pm watering early enough that the existing grass blades dry before dark. Maybe 5:30-6:30. Having the grass blades stay wet overnight provides a pathway for disease.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    In my yard, it makes a big difference on in which type of soil I'm planting in. I've got an areas that are that Mitchell, red clay with rocks in it type stuff. It's terrible stuff to get grass started in.

Are you sure the seeds didn't germinate and then die with all of the heat we've had in May? We had a number of days down here where it was up in the 90's and in full sun, even with keeping the stuff moist, that's a tough environment to get grass started in.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    I had some spots that would not grow. I ended up buying some potting soil for flowers and raked it over the area. The grass grew really well after that.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Yup. This is really a bad time to try to grow grass. Not impossible, but difficult. Patience is required unfortunately. If possible, try to make the pm watering early enough that the existing grass blades dry before dark. Maybe 5:30-6:30. Having the grass blades stay wet overnight provides a pathway for disease.

You know, I've always heard this but still don't understand it. If that were the case, why doesn't rain (or dew) at night cause any problems?

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I had some spots that would not grow. I ended up buying some potting soil for flowers and raked it over the area. The grass grew really well after that.

Peat works well for this too - better than straw. It holds moisture longer than the straw, and doesn't leave a mess in the yard like straw.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH

Clover is usually symptomatic of poor available nitrogen. It thrives in those conditions because it can fix its own supply

Top Bottom