• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • nsheepdog

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 13, 2010
    Carmel, IN
    Tonight I was at the store. I had in one hand a box of 333 .22 ammo. In the other hand, a package of 12 or so Ball jars. I chose to go with the ammo only because I wouldn't really know how to use the ball jars yet.

I would like to know if anyone can educate me on what the best use of such jars. :dunno:

Hk91_son

Plinker
    Rating - 97.9%
    46   1   0
    Oct 26, 2011
    Richmond
    You can get a ball canning book and it will tell you about all you need to know.....but they have several uses including canning jams,jellies,meats,dry goods and so on. It is a good art to learn. We seem to never have enough jars.. The wife cans about everything.

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Between Greenwood and Martinsville
    My grandpa used to fill'em up with silver and bury 'em in the back yard....the kids fill'em with pennies (zinc) and who knows what they'll do with 'em....I put screws, nuts, bolts, etc.. in them for storage and identification in the garage....in the kitchen we drink from them (redneck I know..) store leftovers in them, , etc but still haven't learned to can with them.

bluewraith

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 4, 2011
    Akron
    Does this really need to be explained? :buddies:

20100429_moonshine2_23.jpg

Electronrider

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    White County
    Canning is a HUGE field of learning. Regardless, go purchase " The Ball Blue Book of Canning". It will be in the isle with all the jars and mixes. This book is the absolute best bang for the buck to get you into canning.

Keep an eye out at yard sales and such, and anyone you know over the age of 50. Simply mentioning that you are getting into canning will yield more jars than you think. Old people are a gold mine for canning. I am blessed to have a grandmother alive that was a child during the depression. There isn't anything that woman does not know how to do.

If it is something you can only throw some money at for prep supplies for now, then simply stock up on jars and lids. Lids are really important because they are generally non reusable, unless you buy the special ones. ( tattler brand). Also get a mix of pint and quarts.

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    Also you might be interested in knowing that the USDA Guide to Home Canning (2009) is online for FREE in PDF form. It's as good as the Ball Blue Book in my opinion. All you need is a PDF reader and a web browser. Print out the pages and put them in a 3 ring binder.

USDA Complete Guide to Home Canning 2009

Home canning is fun and it all tastes great if you pay attention to what you are doing.

bluewraith

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 4, 2011
    Akron
    I have seen the big jars at menards.

Just about every major retailing carries them. I've seen them at Rural King and Walmart for $8-9 for a dozen pint or quart.
    Walmart even carries the 1 gallon decorative ones. That was pretty cool looking. :D

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Between Greenwood and Martinsville
    I have about 75-80 1 gallon jars I found on craigslist. The lady had collected them from bars and restaurants (pickles, cherries, olives.) and used them to sell chocolate covered pretzels on ebay....I guess the pretzel business took a turn. Fine by me! Now I have a "decorative" way to store dry goods that keeps the grain moths at bay!!! Flour, bisquick, beans, pasta, cornmeal, dried herbs, etc.....we even dump crackers, cereal and chips out of the bags/boxes into these jars as soon as they come in from the store as they stay fresh this way.

ETA, since discovering the usefulness and beauty of the gallon sized jars, we began buying our pickles and banana peppers in the large jars. We eat a lot of both so this saves us about 60-75% over the little jars and gives us roughly 2 gallons increase in storage each month that gets put up without even noticing...Every time a jar empties it just gets filled right back up and put on the shelf.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom