• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • nawainwright

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 23, 2009
    New Hampshire
    Listened to parts of this....seemed awfully one-sided. The business concerns spent a lot of time talking about how "unfair" it was to them. They whined about how the NRA was "running roughshod" over them and had no interest in anything outside of a "win". I only caught the last half hour or so (which means 10 minutes of conversation and 20 minutes of commercials). To me, it seems a pretty simple issue. No business has a right to regulate what we keep in/on our property. In turn, we accept the risk that if someone breaks into our car and steals a firearm, it is on our heads. I don't buy the argument that somehow the business is then liable.

Whats the difference between your place of business regulating what you have in your car and what walmart says you can keep in your car on their property?

INMIline

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 17, 2009
    Indiana/Michigan line
    I think if it's passed we as gun owners need to go the extra mile and not be sloppy when locking it up in the car. Mounted lock box, locked in glove box, and of course all doors locked! I strongly support it, I'd love to be able to have SOMETHING at ALL TIMES! Of course, noone else at the work place need know about it. It needs to be treated like what you have at home in the gun safe. NOBODY's BUISNESS but your own

sj kahr k40

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2009
    pod cast

I only heard a little bit of it but I'm downloading the pod cast so I can hear all of it.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    thanks Beerman I don't know how to post a website like that

Go to the page, copy the line from the address bar, come to your INGO window to post, paste in the address. INGO will format it into a web address for you.

Alternatively, you can also just type it directly, if you know the address. For example, if I wanted to give you a link to Yahoo mail, I could just type in
    Code:
    [U R L]http://mail.yahoo.com[/URL]
    , or if I really wanted to get fancy,
    Code:
    [U R L="http://mail.yahoo.com"]This is a link to Yahoo mail.[/url]
    Both will take you to the same place. (ignore the spaces. The part in brackets would be , but I can't do that and not have the system parse it into real links.)

Last edited:

mk2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    North Carolina
    :hijack:

So, Is it worth downloading the discussion on the Parking Lot Bill? Is it really stuff that I want to listen to, or would the ignorance and bias just make me upset? I have finals this week; I can't afford to be upset!

Phil502

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    NW Indiana
    I listened to it, the NRA was on there and a few callers. Some guy opposing it, a legislator I never heard of. It was okay at best, not many good points.

Why do people think that your car is not private property? Is there really an arguement that the parking lot trumps your own car as private property?

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    I listened to it, the NRA was on there and a few callers. Some guy opposing it, a legislator I never heard of. It was okay at best, not many good points.

Why do people think that your car is not private property? Is there really an arguement that the parking lot trumps your own car as private property?

No, just an argument that your privilege of being on that lot (the employer does not HAVE to provide a parking lot for his employees, after all) does not trump his property rights. I do think that employers should recognize and respect the right of self defense, but I also think people should not smoke while I'm trying to eat my meal.. that doesn't mean I support a law mandating it. It means I go down the street to another restaurant that has voluntarily disallowed smoking, just as the smoker, given a choice of two eateries, will likely but not necessarily choose to go to the restaurant that allows him to indulge his habit, and if I go where that's allowed, I've relinquished the right to complain about it. (though I may ask those near me if they wouldn't mind blowing it another direction)

I relate this latter point to someone who doesn't like guns choosing to work in a different place, though I also recognize David Burkhead's argument that when gov't has encouraged employers to adopt these policies all along and basically demonized the gun, some pressure back the other way is not unreasonable. I recognize it, but I'm not fully to the point of wholehearted support of it and may never be. Conversely, the point that's almost never raised is that while private businesses are now being told what they must allow and must disallow on their property, gov't buildings in which we all share ownership, restrict us all from carry. Gov't schools, for which we all pay extorted and exorbitant fees, are places where, if we carry there, we may be charged with a felony. If any place should be covered by this law, it should be any and all gov't buildings and facilities, barring an overriding interest to the contrary, for example, penal facilities which house people currently being punished for crimes they committed and who would love any opportunity to escape. The control on firearms there is more a control on the people so housed.

Me, I'm OK with choosing other places to shop, to buy, etc. I can't find a competing government to patronize that fully and completely recognizes my RKBA though.

Blessings,
    Bill

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    I still want to know what legal grounds an employer would have to search a vehicle.

Would they have to have a warrant? Could they legally threaten to fire me without probable cause?

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    I still want to know what legal grounds an employer would have to search a vehicle.

Would they have to have a warrant? Could they legally threaten to fire me without probable cause?

IIRC, they CANNOT mandate a search of your vehicle without your consent. They CAN (and probably will) fire you for failure to abide by policy, but the choice is yours to consent and comply or be fired.

Blessings,
    Bill

Top Bottom