• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 2ADMNLOVER

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 13, 2009
    West side Indy
    Blackhawks Predators | WGN-TV would love to see a true double-blinded study done evaluating THC versus standard seizure medications for treatment of epilepsy. There have been studies looking at it and it's shown more effective than placebo for some types of seziures, but come on, that's not what we're interested in. There are numerous causes of seizures and it's absurd to think MJ is going to work wonderfully for every one. It's absurd to say the only reason MJ is illegal is because of Big Pharma. "follow the money" is such a tired phrase on this forum.

I see these stories about miraculous cures of seizure disorders from smoking a joint, or even seizures stopping instantly when a CBD oil drop is put in the mouth or rubbing it on the skin. Come on. Absurd.

What I never see is a detailed description of the condition the patient has. Is it LGS? You know, the one that usually doesn't respond to current medications? https://www.epilepsy.com/learn/types-epilepsy-syndromes/lennox-gastaut-syndrome-lgs

You never hear what meds the person is taking. Is they are regulating their sleep-wake cycle. If they take their meds. If they're using drugs, alcohol, etc. I see seizure patients almost daily in the ER. The vast majority of seizures that I see are in patients who missed doses, refuse to take them at all, or did something to provoke the seizure. Occasionally they have an illness that creates a break-through seizure. The current medications out there are phenomenal.

I'm not saying this in an attempt to say MJ isn't useful for treating seizures. My son has a seizure disorder. I would love to have them cured for all people. I'm saying this is a straw man argument being used to push legalization of MJ and slam drug companies. I bet a lot of you just said in your head "who cares, it SHOULD BE LEGAL". I agree with you. But do you want to get there using misleading emotional appeals?

These reports are geared at main-steam people and never give a clinical history. The medical literature is not exploding with case reports of these patients. Youtube and Facebook are though. Why the disconnect? Do you think doctors get paid by big pharma? Will the doctor lose a copay if the kid just hits the bong a few times a day? Follow the money? That impugns the entire culture of those who practice medicine and it's insulting.

Sort of a rambling post that I'm sure will lead to gnashing of teeth but it's some honesty for you at 4am. It is absolutely impossible to make a judgement on this case without knowing the medical background of the kid. Did he refuse to take meds but likes smoking pot? Who knows. Perhaps we should get information before deciding how we think? Or since it's about MJ is that thrown out the window?

[video=youtube;tFEaZjcZDcs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tFEaZjcZDcs[/video]

Follow the money right? OK, her dad grows medical MJ commercially and his daughter is suing to legalize it. He grows tens of millions of dollars of it. Follow the money?

Colorado girl suing U.S. attorney general to legalize medical marijuana nationwide | WGN-TV

:rofl: What a saint :rofl: Follow the money? :rofl:

I hear ya and understand the want of " empirical evidence " but laws AND STIGMA being what they are , that's a little hard to come by for various reasons .

The meds I've been on start with some variation of " This medication is designed to change the way you feel about your pain but a Physician has , blah , blah , blah .

Then the paperwork goes on to give 5-6 paragraphs of why not to take them .

Well , the pills change the way you feel about breathing so in that aspect , they work well .

There are Dr's here in town that know the benefits of CBD and MJ but laws being what they are they are comfortable enough to come forward about it .

I can say from my own experience with it (CBD) , it helps ease the aches that come with age and improves my mood without getting mentally fuzzy .

Whether the patient chooses CBD or MJ to help relieve their pain , the " side effects " if the can be honestly called that , are far fewer and most definitely less harmful ( by any reasonable , logical stretch ) than current legal practices .

No parent should ever lose custody over this nonsense .

Even if the " relief " is purely placebo , it's STILL more natural and less harmful overall to the patient's health than the pills are .

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    Which pills? Which relief? Again, way too generalized of a statement to draw any conclusions.

If we're talking pain relief, absolutely. Placebo works great. It even works on seizures. But a 20% reduction in seizures isn't enough. a 20% reduction in pain with a placebo would be great except for people complaining they went from a 10/10 to an 8/10. Chronic narcotics make chronic pain so much worse and destroy people. MJ or CBD would be awesome if it could replace chronic narcotics.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Which pills? Which relief? Again, way too generalized of a statement to draw any conclusions.

If we're talking pain relief, absolutely. Placebo works great. It even works on seizures. But a 20% reduction in seizures isn't enough. a 20% reduction in pain with a placebo would be great except for people complaining they went from a 10/10 to an 8/10. Chronic narcotics make chronic pain so much worse and destroy people. MJ or CBD would be awesome if it could replace chronic narcotics.

For many people it has. I know it's all anecdotal, but since research is not allowed in any meaningful way, anecdotal evidence is pretty much all that is available.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    For many people it has. I know it's all anecdotal, but since research is not allowed in any meaningful way, anecdotal evidence is pretty much all that is available.

but you can do observational studies. My uncle has stopped narcotics for his back pain and is on MJ once an evening. He feels much better.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    but you can do observational studies. My uncle has stopped narcotics for his back pain and is on MJ once an evening. He feels much better.

That's excellent! These stories are out there every day. I don't understand why .gov is dragging its feet on allowing the same level of research that is standard for any other drug being evaluated for market. There is no way that it should be a Schedule 1 substance, and by now there is plenty of observational data to support that at the very least. As a side note, I have heard (and have no reason to doubt) that if alcohol were discovered today that it would be Schedule 1, yet it's perfectly legal, even knowing that it kills 10's of thousands every year.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom