• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Firingpinhead

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 12, 2014
    Farmland
    I'm thinking about rebuilding/reshaping the stock and handguards for a MAK-90 using fiberglass. Anyone know of a good finish in a spray can that works on fiberglass? I'm hoping to also refinish the metal soon. Anyone know offhand what 30rd AK mags are going for? I have "several". Thanks.

philbert001

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 4, 2012
    Allen County
    It all depends on your expectations. Just about anything will stick to the fiberglass, but may not look good unless you are diligent about finish sanding with a finer grit sandpaper, then priming, then finish sanding again before your final topcoat color. 360-500 grit should be sufficient for your final sanding.

As far as the fiberglass goes, are you starting with wood stocks, or plastic? Adhesion and prep will be different between the 2.

And welcome to INGO!

Firingpinhead

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 12, 2014
    Farmland
    Thanks,I havent been on for awhile. It's a stock MAK 90 thumbhole stock. The wood doesn't have any oil soaked into it so if the woods rough the glass will bond nicely. I'm gonna add wood to places to reshape it and handgaurds to fit my large hands. I'd like to do everything in medium gray and black. I think the hardest part is gonna be removing all the oil soaked into the metal assemblies.

Firingpinhead

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 12, 2014
    Farmland
    The thing I do need is a buttplate....I hate the rubber recoil pad. I'm gonna take pics when I do this,it's not hard with the right tools. I worked at a place that made fiberglass parts for big trucks and motor homes.

Top Bottom