• Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Pricing is getting ridiculous for new products.

I saw Ryobi recently released a 12AH 18V battery. $239. :faint:

Wait, what is this? A multi size bundle? Why yes. yes it is. For $10 more I can get the 12AH battery AND two 4AH batteries. WTF?!?!?

4ah batteries are $100 ea or two for $80. :scratch:

/rant

Last edited:

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    $239 is not bad for a 12AH pack.

It's $10 less than competitors. Granted I really wouldn't be spending that kind of money on ryobi stuff.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    $239 is not bad for a 12AH pack.

It's $10 less than competitors. Granted I really wouldn't be spending that kind of money on ryobi stuff.
    Ryobi is good. Not excellent. But good. Their strength is decent gear and VERY broad range of tools (240+)

As long as you dont cheap out its good gear for homeowners. I have no illusions that its hard core trades grade gear like Dewalt, Milwaukee, etc.

I've learned over the years that as long as you buy the best (which is typically only $40 more than the cheapest) You come out on top.

So far I've only broken one tool. Their cheapest string trimmer.

Last edited:

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    I have a Ryobi planer that is at least 25 years old and still runs great, although I don’t know if I could ever find replacement blades for it anymore. I don’t have any newer Ryobi stuff, I have a lot of Dewalt and Makita tools. Makita corded circular saws are pinnacle of all power tools.

Sigblaster

Soon...
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Indy
    I have an old camera. Just a compact low budget digital camera, tuck it in your pocket and take pics kinda thing. Had it for several years. It's a name brand, Canon or Nikon or something. Takes good pics when I can figure out the right settings (not like the pics in some of my ads :): ). Probably made by some subcontractor, but it has the backing of a big name, so I know any warranty issues with it would probably be handled well.

My daughter borrowed it yesterday for an event, and she was waxing nostalgic about how the pics look, like when I used it to take pics when they were little. I'm going to let her keep it, and buy a new one for myself.

Holy f, no big name brand makes these low end, point and shoot, cameras any more, probably because of the camera capabilities of modern phones. If I want a stand alone camera, I'm probably looking at 300 bucks on the bottom end.

There is some weird market force at work here. Tech is producing greater quality products which are priced accordingly, until the next better tech comes along. It's the same as it has always been, but it's cycling more rapidly.

Add in Bidenomic's inflationary policies, and here we are.

Reactions: Leo

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    Pricing is getting ridiculous for new products.

I saw Ryobi recently released a 12AH 18V battery. $239. :faint:

Wait, what is this? A multi size bundle? Why yes. yes it is. For $10 more I can get the 12AH battery AND two 4AH batteries. WTF?!?!?

4ah batteries are $100 ea or two for $80. :scratch:

/rant
    I'll cry when I have to replace batteries for my work tools. 7- M18 Milwaukee batteries. And the youngest are 4 years old right now.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Makita corded circular saws are pinnacle of all power tools.
    The saw you will most often on any of those home improvement shows will be the Makita circular saw.

I have had this one for decades and it has seen much more use than a typical homeowner. I have replaced the cord once and that is it.

1699734455971.png

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    The saw you will most often on any of those home improvement shows will be the Makita circular saw.

I have had this one for decades and it has seen much more use than a typical homeowner. I have replaced the cord once and that is it.

View attachment 311368
    Yep, that’s the one. I’m on my second one now after getting at least 30 years out of the first, and the original is probably repairable. I’ve had the new one for about three, maybe four years now, and the cool thing is, I can’t really find much difference between it and the ancient one, and it feels just as smooth upon trigger pull as the old one. The only noticeable differences are, the new one didn’t come with a rip guide, and it’s not beat up like the old one.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    You have to remember the pricing is adjusted to accommodate the 'free' shipping
    Amazon has resellers, nor Amazon direct, that specialize in selling items hard to get or discontinued for those that will pay at several times the typical price of an item. It must work as they continue to do it…

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    Amazon has resellers, nor Amazon direct, that specialize in selling items hard to get or discontinued for those that will pay at several times the typical price of an item. It must work as they continue to do it…

Yeah. Appliance parts and filters are two areas where Amazon has inflated prices from sellers. Even for lots of other items though, it pays to shop around. Sometimes searching sellers will give you a dba xxx on Amazon but when you go to their website its cheaper. Maybe by paying more on Amazon some feel like Amazon will act on the buyer's behalf if something goes wrong.

The ones that get me are store sites that i just want to know if its in my local store and you have to jump through hoops to filter out this and that. Then you get your hopes up and its still at a location "near" you not at the one you want.

Walmart, Best Buy, Home Depot etc.

Maybe I am just a crotchety old man.

Top Bottom