Ordered an air pistol - if you can't go out to shoot bring the shooting to you.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • marvin02

Don't Panic
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jun 20, 2019
    Calumet Twp.
    I just ordered a Sig Sauer P226 .177 caliber air pistol from Cabelas. Here's a review. Ordered a target, pellets and CO2.

I'll be able to shoot in the garage and maybe in the basement (gotta rearrange to allow for distance).

Anyone else shooting inside during the Covid-19 stay at home? Any advice? This is my first pellet gun.

I'll give a report when I get it. The CO2 is being shipped ground, ETA 4/16.

CPT Nervous

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    The Southern Bend
    I have an airsoft gun that's a copy of my carry gun. I use it for force-on-force training as well as shooting indoors. Fits the same holsters, same manual of arms. Of course it doesn't recoil the same, but it's better than nothing.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    I have an airsoft gun that's a copy of my carry gun. I use it for force-on-force training as well as shooting indoors. Fits the same holsters, same manual of arms. Of course it doesn't recoil the same, but it's better than nothing.

I'm leaning heavily toward going this route too. I've been considering getting a weighted blue gun Glock 19 to practice drawing from concealment but a pellet version is pretty much the same price with the added bonus of being able to actually fire the thing and do some simulated training indoors or in the back yard.

CPT Nervous

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    The Southern Bend
    I'm leaning heavily toward going this route too. I've been considering getting a weighted blue gun Glock 19 to practice drawing from concealment but a pellet version is pretty much the same price with the added bonus of being able to actually fire the thing and do some simulated training indoors or in the back yard.

My friend has one of the Glock 19 airsoft clones. I have an M&P. It's not quite as heavy as the real deal, but with a magazine in it adds a lot of weight. You can always add weight by gluing in steel rods inside the frame. I haven't done that, but I've seen it done.

I believe Umarex is now making licensed Glock airsoft guns. Get a good quality one, take care of it, and it'll last you. I run mine with propane, and it's pretty cheap to shoot.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    My friend has one of the Glock 19 airsoft clones. I have an M&P. It's not quite as heavy as the real deal, but with a magazine in it adds a lot of weight. You can always add weight by gluing in steel rods inside the frame. I haven't done that, but I've seen it done.

I believe Umarex is now making licensed Glock airsoft guns. Get a good quality one, take care of it, and it'll last you. I run mine with propane, and it's pretty cheap to shoot.

Propane? So you get simulated muzzle flash too?

SheepDog4Life

Natural Gray Man
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 14, 2016
    SW IN

Just received my M&P airsoft yesterday and so far I'm impressed. Here's the bundle I got since most of the other online sellers seemed to be in Hong Kong, I went Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B088VXN4B1/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Initial impressions:

1. Other than the orange tip, the gun looks and feels remarkably real... absent the orange tip, only the 6 MM BB caliber markings are going to distinguish it.

2. With the magazine and CO2 cartridge in, my instincts were that it weighed about middle of the range of my M&P 2.0 9C empty to fully loaded. Confirmed with a kitchen scale that the airsoft is 27.4 oz my 9C is 24.1 oz unloaded no magazine to 33.7 oz fully loaded 15+1. So it weighs about what my 9C does with 4-5 rounds remaining.

3. After putting 45 BBs through it, at 5-7 yds, it holds a 2 inch group. And those 3 magazines are about the limit of the CO2 cartridge which is not bad at all, IMO. Cost wise, roughly $1 for 50 rounds, pretty cost effective.

4. The gas blow back on the metal slide gives some "recoil" action... nowhere near 9 MM but enough that you need to retrain the front sight on target, so definitely worthwhile. Speaking of sights, same profile, same 3 white dots.

5. The trigger and reset are a little mushier than my real S&W BUT very much within the range of striker fire triggers that I've experienced, and I had to dry fire my 9C to be certain.

I'm definitely liking this airsoft gun! In fact, printing some 1/3 scale IDPA targets and heading to the backyard now! :)

Which was my main reason for getting this... 5 minutes to print and post some targets and I'm practicing in the backyard.

https://www.waltinpa.com/2011/06/25/making-my-own-idpa-targets/

SheepDog4Life

Natural Gray Man
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 14, 2016
    SW IN
    Ok, that was a blast!

Setup three 1/3 scale targets at 5-6 yards to simulated 15-18 yards. Planned each set as double to the body, single to the head, left to right, then repeat on middle and right target. 15 rounds per set.

Did the first set "deliberate" and scored down 1. Wow! That's great for me having only been to the range twice in the past 4-5 months.

Did the next two sets at speed and dropped 19 total. Ok, there's reality and severely out of practice showing up. Two missed head shots and lots of sloppy to the body.

But was pretty sure it was mostly a grip issue... my common one, overly tight on strong/trigger hand, not tight enough on support. Did 4th set at 75% speed to verify... yup, down zero and very centered.

Ran last two sets at speed... down one and it was a near miss of the body circle on the double tap. I'll take it.

Bottom line - I like this! Just about everything except the recoil management is there. Useful training with convenience almost as easy as dry firing. Still not as good a live fire, but has a lot going for it.

Backyard Airsoft.JPG

ashby koss

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 24, 2013
    Connersville
    I have this set up for the P320 and the Glock 19 and find them invaluable for backyard training, wife, and child.

I was literally looking at this exact model last night/this morning about 1 AM I had decided (At the time) to hold off to get a night sleep on it thank you Ingo for solidifying my choice once again.

SheepDog4Life

Natural Gray Man
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 14, 2016
    SW IN
    Glad that you found it helpful... I couldn't find any rigorous reviews online for the airsoft variant, so I rolled the dice based up the reviews of the BB variant and am happy I did.

Looking at the gun after my session, I noticed it has a safety... I haven't tested it as my gun has no thumb safety, so it's not part of my muscle memory. Also, I tend to insert magazines "authoritatively", sometimes called ramming, lol! Twice this caused the airsoft gun to go into battery, so magazine drills might be suspect or unhelpful.

Also, haven't tried the small or large backstrap as the default installed medium size was the right one for me.

Getting ready to order more CO2 cartridges and BBs as I only have enough cartridges for one more session, but will definitely report back at the 1000 round mark.

Any tips, pointers, links for lube, clean, care and maintenance? This is my first time for airsoft.

SheepDog4Life

Natural Gray Man
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 14, 2016
    SW IN
    S&W M&P Airsoft 400 rnd update

I've got about 400 rounds through this in 5 sessions. I'm really liking this thing.

PROs:
    • The weight, grip and trigger are very realistic.
    • At 5 and 7 yards on 1/3 scale targets, this thing is accurate. If I miss, it's me... if I do my part, it hits with clean 15 rnd sets.
    • 5 minutes to print targets, setup my cardboard traps, load up and I'm shooting. Literally 15 minutes to setup, shoot and tear down 3 sets.
    • Very cost effective... 50 cent cartridge plus 25 cents for BBs versus a box of 9 MM.

CONs:
    • The gas blowback slide is nowhere close to real gun recoil
    • Not useful for mag changes... my particular gun releases the slide on its own if I seat the mag with any authority

SheepDog4Life

Natural Gray Man
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 14, 2016
    SW IN
    Airsoft and range update:

Continue to love this M&P airsoft and improvements in the backyard are translating to live fire at the range... fractionally longer for the front sight to settle back on target due to the "real" recoil, as expected, but back to my prime form with all body double taps in the zero circle or just miss the zero for a -1.

All misses were low left along the 7 o'clock line. Verified with a full mag (15+1 in my 9c) rapid fire... all in a solid 3-4" line from dead center extending along the 7 o'clock axis, so now I now what to work on next.

GREAT TRAINING AIDE!

SheepDog4Life

Natural Gray Man
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 14, 2016
    SW IN
    1000 Round Update

Just used up the 1000 round bag of airsoft bb's that came with bundle, and still loving it. It has more than paid for itself (1.75 cents a round for CO2 and bb's) versus reasonable 9mm ammo purchase prices (20-22 cents a round). I definitely recommend the bundle (link in previous post) as it comes with a second mag, 1000 rnds of decent quality bb's and 5 Crossman CO2 cartridges.

Since I got it, I've been to the range 3 times and the results match my backyard airsoft results... only difference is a slight fraction of a difference in timing on double taps/rapid fire. But that does help me concentrate on the front sight, as it should be.

PRO's
    • Realistic weight, grip, trigger and sights.
    • Includes multiple grip back straps for grip sizing.
    • Gas blow back slide has a little bit of recoil requiring sight discipline on rapid fire
    • At 5-7+ yds, accuracy matches M&P at 15-20 yards... if I miss the mark, it's me :)
    • Cheap training aid
    • Quick to setup and tear down... literally 20 minutes to do 6 mags worth (2 CO2 cartridges) couch-to-couch time
    • Recommend Walt in PA 1/3 scale IDPA targets - print your own for free: 5 yds = 15 yds
    • Use Amazon boxes stuffed with grocery plastic bags for bb trap - free

CON's
    • My gun the thumb safety was wonky, but my 9C 2.0 has no thumb safety so not a problem for me, YMMV
    • My gun will return to battery if the mag is slammed home with authority, so not using it for mag change training...
    • ... nor for failure to fire, jam clearing - my go to for that is random snap caps during "real" range training
    • GBB recoil is not equal to live fire recoil, so slightly different timing for double taps/rapid fire

tl;dr: love it... should have done this a long time ago

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I have a CZ P07 bb gun that is near identical to the feel of a real P07 in the hand. It is co2 powered and makes a great training tool in times of limited ammo availability. I also have a Kaden kit so I can plink at home with bbs, then run .22lr at the range before stepping up to either the 9mm or .40 to finish practice.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Top Bottom