• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • FN USA

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 90.9%
    10   1   0
    Jul 25, 2011
    Sellersburg
    I've been really getting into red dots on pistols lately & wanted to convert my M&P compact into an optics ready version by getting it milled and shorten the barrel to be flush with the frame. However, I'm recently saw the factory optics ready versions and am wondering if I shouldn't bother. I think it might be best to sell this unfired one and buy the optic ready version but I'm torn which route I should take...any of you make the same decisions lately? Which route would be cheaper?
    I've got a spare RMR that I'm waiting to put on it.

Pics for attention while trying different lights on it.
    n6jWMi1.jpg

Biggredchev

Just some guy
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 16, 2017
    Pretty much Michigan.
    I do my own milling but consider the cost of that and a cerakote job afterwards then see if you can even find an optic ready version. I would go whichever way is more affordable. And yes i love my red dot pistols

G192127

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 19, 2018
    Shelbyville
    I had DP Gunworks cut a slide for optics for me- 80$ if that helps you decide. Then there is refinishing, taller sights, Yada, Yada, yada- it can get pricy

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    It cost me $216 to have my slide milled, refinished and a set of tall sights installed. This included milling a dovetail behind the optic which accepts Glock sights.

DP Custom Works did mine.

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    After having a custom milled and factory prove ready pistols, my preference is custom milled. Better fit, no adapter plates, lower mounting.

700 LTR 223

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    I've been really getting into red dots on pistols lately & wanted to convert my M&P compact into an optics ready version by getting it milled and shorten the barrel to be flush with the frame. However, I'm recently saw the factory optics ready versions and am wondering if I shouldn't bother. I think it might be best to sell this unfired one and buy the optic ready version but I'm torn which route I should take...any of you make the same decisions lately? Which route would be cheaper? I've got a spare RMR that I'm waiting to put on it.
    I bought a Glock 34 MOS and am using a Vortex Venom and have no problem with the factory mounting system. Plus it can be returned to stock configuration easily . I thought of having my G48 milled but would rather sell it and buy the MOS version. As it turned out I just bought the similar 43X MOS and am keeping the G48 too.

FN USA

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 90.9%
    10   1   0
    Jul 25, 2011
    Sellersburg
    Thanks for the advice everyone! I've sent a request for estimated work to DP gunworks for milling the slide, adding rear sight and cerakote. I really like and use front cocking serrations especially with an RMR on a pistol so I asked for a quoted price for that as well, that's really my only hold up right now. I've been thinking about it and I really don't like/need the extended threaded barrel. Anyone want to trade for a never fired barrel? :spend:

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Thanks for the advice everyone! I've sent a request for estimated work to DP gunworks for milling the slide, adding rear sight and cerakote. I really like and use front cocking serrations especially with an RMR on a pistol so I asked for a quoted price for that as well, that's really my only hold up right now. I've been thinking about it and I really don't like/need the extended threaded barrel. Anyone want to trade for a never fired barrel? :spend:
    For what it's worth, some folks are concerned over using the optic to cycle the slide. I do it often. Doing that is way less of a force than what the slide does when launching a round. If it's mounted stout enough to handle the recoil of firing live rounds, it will handle the few ft lbs of torque us humans can put on it.

Get the front serrations though. They are good for press checks and I like seeing others spend money like I do! ;)

Haven

Network Warlord
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 6, 2016
    Camby Area
    I have the CZ P-10s with a Holosun 407K on it. I also bought a 2020 VP9 slide to go on my 2016 VP9. I haven't gotten an optic for it yet.

The P-10s is my EDC.

Top Bottom