• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • No2rdame

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2012
    Noblesville
    I'm looking at joining a club nearby and I think the two closest to me are Hamilton County Fish & Game and Elwood Conservation club. It would be for me and my wife and primarily for the pistol range. I haven't had a chance to visit either of the two yet but thought I'd solicit some general opinions from others who have been there. What are the pros and cons? What about weekends? Is one busier than the other?

Skywired

Master
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Aug 14, 2010
    Cicero
    I joined the Elwood Conservation Club this year after looking at Noblesville and Atlanta. Reasons: Low fee, easy enrollment, very quiet range, easy rules.

Check them out and make your own decision! Welcome to INGO! :ingo:

croy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Apr 22, 2012
    Indiana
    I'm a member of the decatur county conservation club and there is usually no one there. There were no rules pretty much except no shooting glass targets and make sure your not shooting over the back stop. Recently I've ran into several issues out there and probably will not reup next year. There's a few old timers that start making rules up as they go and try to enforce them. Such as no rapid fire, no guests (when I was told before I joined I can have 1 guests to shoot) supposedly there's 2 pages of rules I've never seen. Also talking to a few people out there shooting apparently high powered rifles are illegal to own and last weekend I saw a couple popping beers. Also had issues with people not wearing hearing protection and then getting mad at me when I shoot something louder than a 22 without telling them

lordjackel

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Aug 20, 2008
    Southern Arkansas
    I am a member of the Hamilton County Fish and Game club...if you want to go check it out shoot me a PM. Always looking for someone to shoot with :)

I like it as it is only 5 mins from my house, empty during the week days. We have a pistol and a rifle range...with 4 more bays in the process of being built (including an archery range).

Irishcs05

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    Carmel
    I joined the Elwood Conservation Club this year after looking at Noblesville and Atlanta. Reasons: Low fee, easy enrollment, very quiet range, easy rules.

Check them out and make your own decision! Welcome to INGO! :ingo:

I'm moving up into Carmel in a few months, and am considering keeping my FCVCC membership or joining Elwood for the reasons you list. Elwood seems like a nice place to shoot, with minimal range closures due to organized shoots.

indyk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Alpha site
    range jibber

I think the most important factor to outdoor ranges is communication between members, and management. Understanding the rules and observe how things are done, safety, respect, and preservation are cornerstone as well. If these factors are in place I believe you have a great range to enjoy.

edited.

Last edited:

croy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Apr 22, 2012
    Indiana
    Indyk if your at a shooting range you should always have eye and ear pro on and I don't have to tell anyone I am shooting. That's kinda what happens when someone steps up to a firing line. I know high powered is not illegal but according to some of the people put there they are. You cannot have rules at a range and not tell anyone. It doesn't work that way. As far as the uninformed go your dad also said he can legally turn his ar full auto with a tax stamp. Wrong again! I can't help the uneducated! I have paid my dues at greensburg and have shown my membership card many times.

No2rdame

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2012
    Noblesville
    Thanks for the feedback all. I got some good input, I guess now I just need to take a look at both and see what kind of feel I get from them.

Skywired

Master
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Aug 14, 2010
    Cicero
    I'm moving up into Carmel in a few months, and am considering keeping my FCVCC membership or joining Elwood for the reasons you list. Elwood seems like a nice place to shoot, with minimal range closures due to organized shoots.

I shoot weekly...afternoons, early evenings, Sat. & Sun. mornings. Never had a problem with too many folks. Mostly empty!

Top Bottom