• ...and so much more!
  • joeyyh

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 10, 2022
    Portage
    Hello. New to CC and looking to now mount a light to my S&W Shield 1.0. Without a rail it seems my only decent options would be the Streamlight TLR6 or to use a rail adapter from Recover Tactical and maybe get a PL-Mini 2 Valkyrie. Opinions on Olight as a whole and dailying one on a carry gun? Seems to be a lot of mixed reviews. I also just don't know if the TLR6 with 100 lumens is adequate. Very open minded. Thanks for any feedback.

Sdiersing

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Apr 20, 2021
    Indianapolis
    I do not have any personal experience with Olight, but there have been more than a few reports of catastrophic and potentially dangerous failures. On the other hand, Streamlight has a phenomenal track record. 100 lumens does not sound like a lot compared to the current industry standard but I think you would absolutely be happy with the TLR6. Light technology has come a long way but guys did a lot with 100 lumens or less for a long time. Another option would be to stick with a quality hand held until you can setup a carry gun with better light options.

Goodcat

From a place you cannot see…
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    152   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    New Pal
    I recommend Surefire, Arisaka, and Modlite. Arisaka makes the best mounts I’ve encountered. If on a budget, Streamlight works, but I would not trust durability of anything below Streamlight.

Also, pay attention to “candela”, more important than lumens. The 600 lumen Streamlight are sufficient in an indoor only environment.

joe138

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Lawrence County
    Lights from Cloud Defensive are very good and are similiar to Mod Light and Surefire. Plus they are produced in Evansville. I always like to support local businesses. Duel fuel lights are also something to consider. Its nice to have a rechargeable light, but is some situations that I've been in, a recharge isn't possible, but replacing batteries is.

schmart

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 10, 2014
    Lafayette
    I've had excellent experiences with olight EDC lights, car lights, etc. Haven't ever had a light on a weapon so can't speak to that, but personally I'd look at them before some of name brands. Better lighting performance at a lower cost.
    Rick

bgarman47

File Jockey
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 8, 2023
    Ossian
    Something to keep in mind in regard to O-light and some other brands of weapon lights:

The advertised performance only applies for the first minute or so of run time. After that point, performance is stepped down sharply to prevent the emitter from overheating. This brief "turbo" mode also really eats through the battery since the emitter is essentially over locked to reach this level of performance.

This is a clever marketing tactic that shows higher lumen/candela output on the packaging that the light is only capable of achieving briefly.

There is an excellent (and highly technical) analysis of the most popular options in the article linked below. Lots of pictures, charts, lab testing etc. It's a long read, but worth it.

Lowlight Defense Light Analysis

zbloxzoid

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 13, 2023
    Terre Haute
    Something to keep in mind in regard to O-light and some other brands of weapon lights:

The advertised performance only applies for the first minute or so of run time. After that point, performance is stepped down sharply to prevent the emitter from overheating. This brief "turbo" mode also really eats through the battery since the emitter is essentially over locked to reach this level of performance.

This is a clever marketing tactic that shows higher lumen/candela output on the packaging that the light is only capable of achieving briefly.

There is an excellent (and highly technical) analysis of the most popular options in the article linked below. Lots of pictures, charts, lab testing etc. It's a long read, but worth it.

Lowlight Defense Light Analysis
    To piggyback off of bgarman47:
    Yes they only have the 6 minute runtime (on rifle lights) of full power; however, if you are using it as a momentary light it will last for a lot longer as it's heat based, not battery based. I have the Odin Mini for my AR15 and it's been phenomenal for an extreme budget light. Pistol lights - can't say anything but the Odin has treated me well, and has been reliable. Only wish there was a lo/hi setting on the pressure pad, but at the same time it simplifies it.
    Plus the magnetic charging cable is sick. And how easily the pressure pad attaches, with the locking system. I've caught it on branches and it held up.

bsmithg19

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2020
    Blackford County
    I own around 9 or 10 different lights. Everything from EDC to pistol and rifle lights. All work great. I would recommend them to anyone in need of a quality rechargeable light.

joeyyh

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 10, 2022
    Portage
    To piggyback off of bgarman47:
    Yes they only have the 6 minute runtime (on rifle lights) of full power; however, if you are using it as a momentary light it will last for a lot longer as it's heat based, not battery based. I have the Odin Mini for my AR15 and it's been phenomenal for an extreme budget light. Pistol lights - can't say anything but the Odin has treated me well, and has been reliable. Only wish there was a lo/hi setting on the pressure pad, but at the same time it simplifies it.
    Plus the magnetic charging cable is sick. And how easily the pressure pad attaches, with the locking system. I've caught it on branches and it held up.
    Nice. I know others see it the other way but I prefer rechargeable batteries personally + the magnetic charging is quite neat.

zbloxzoid

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 13, 2023
    Terre Haute
    Nice. I know others see it the other way but I prefer rechargeable batteries personally + the magnetic charging is quite neat.
    Im good with whatever honestly. If I were making EOTWAWKI gun I would have a dual fuel/battery light. Rechargeable is great and the batteries are cheap to replace. Buy 2 or 3 and keep them full for a small emergency or something.

Top Bottom