Opinions for 300 AAC suppressor- 9mm or 7.62?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JBishop

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 26, 2012
    New Albany
    I want to get a 300 Blackout AR and a suppressor in conjunction with it. I was looking at the Huntertown Arms 762AK for this, but then I can also see where getting a 9mm can may cover multiple uses also.

I have AK's/AR's/9mm pistols. I wanted to get the 'least bang' for my buck ;) (see what I did there?). I want to get something that will cover multiple uses.

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    I would make sure that the 9mm can will handle full pressure 5.56 and AK rounds. I would think that may be an issue. If I got a 300BLK, I would probably go with a single 9mm can, for that and the Glock.

JBishop

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 26, 2012
    New Albany
    I thought that the HTA AK version was over bored enough to allow 9mm.

Maybe I am thinking wrong, as is usually the case.

Interesting... That is a plus for a 9mm carbine. I wonder if anyone runs it that way.
    Not really feasible for a pistol- that's what I would looking at the 9mm suppressor for.

I'm at the point of needing to be talked out of the HTA 762AK if there is any reason.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    I would make sure that the 9mm can will handle full pressure 5.56 and AK rounds. I would think that may be an issue. If I got a 300BLK, I would probably go with a single 9mm can, for that and the Glock.

I've shot my 300blk through a gemtech 9mm can. Very quiet with subs. The downside is that it isn't rated for supersonic rifle rounds.

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 16, 2010
    My question would be "how quiet is it?" and "how much does it weigh?".

I would be looking for a quiet and light can.

The goal of some of the HTA cans is to make firing "Hearing Safe". That's a great feature but that doesn't necessarily mean to make them super quiet, but they seem to be pretty light too so it might just be a trade off.

poisonspyder

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 22, 2011
    Durango
    I went yhm titanium in 30 cal. I have a Qmf 2 as well but I have never ran it on the blackout. The yhm can is good For 300 win mag down in rifle calibers. The Qmf is for 45 down on pistol or only subsonic blk out. I figured with a additional 22 can I'm pretty much covered. If you can only go one get the yhm and some adapters and use it on most all your rifles. Then go with a 45 caliber pistol can with interchangeable boosters /adapters like a osprey or Qmf down the road..

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 16, 2010
    Kestrel 7.62 $500 19.5 ounces; didn't see but I'm guessing it should be ok for supersonic 300blk but not .308 or 300wm
    YHM Titanium .308 ~$8-900 15ounces; good for up to 300WM
    Guardian 9 $350 10.2 ounces; good for subsonic 300blk and 9mm

I've not heard the guardian nine or Kestrel, but I have heard the YHM and with subsonic ammo it is QUIET. You pay a lot more for the YHM, but get more versatility. If you only want to shoot subsonic and handgun the light Guardian 9 might be a good choice, but I don't know how well it suppresses sound.

Anyone have other good suggestions to throw into the ring? Now I'm thinking long and hard about getting a SBR to put a light can on... :(

Steve B

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    KEWANNA
    I have a Thompson Machine "Thirty" on my 8" and really like how quiet it is. 8.375 length, 1.5 dia, 27oz, mono core. Rated 308>22lr. $599

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    I have a Thompson Machine "Thirty" on my 8" and really like how quiet it is. 8.375 length, 1.5 dia, 27oz, mono core. Rated 308>22lr. $599

I really like this can but it's a pig at 27 oz. The YHM Ti is soooo light but about $300 more. I just don't know if I want to hang all that weight on the front of an SBR. I've already got a 9mm but aam tempted to run supersonic through the gun as well. What to do, what to do... :dunno:

Slow Hand

Master
    Rating - 99.3%
    146   1   0
    Aug 27, 2008
    West Side
    I really like this can but it's a pig at 27 oz. The YHM Ti is soooo light but about $300 more. I just don't know if I want to hang all that weight on the front of an SBR. I've already got a 9mm but aam tempted to run supersonic through the gun as well. What to do, what to do... :dunno:

Speaking from experience, wait, save up the extra money, get the can you want. T&A going to take 6 months to a year to get it in your hands, you are going to own it for the rest of your life, spend the extra money now and be happy later. I have three cans and I'm happy with all of them but I see better options to what I have now that I'm a bit more experienced. Class 3 requires a lot of patience, some before you write that $200 check and a lot after!

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    Anyone know if the HTA AK is still hearing safe with 5.56?

Wanting to start a Blackout build, but I already have the 5.56 upper. Would also be interested to hear what 22lr sounds like going through one, just for grins.

Top Bottom