• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • diver dan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    DeMotte
    I have a ruger charger in .22lr. I want to put a bull barrel in the stock, that is holding a standard thin barrel. How should I go about this ? I was thinking about a drum sanding mandrel with sandpaper on it . Then I would grind/shave sand it down like that ? My original stock is that plastic/nylon stock. Dont know if this is going to work ? Any ideas would be appreciated , besides going out and buying another stock LOL.

hammerd13

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 20, 2015
    Hamilton County
    Stymie12000 provides good advice. The other methods/techniques I've used are:
    1. Use a router with appropriate round nose bit for removing large amounts of material. Clamp stock securely and run router along both edges of inlet, using a guide of some sort, until desired barrel relief is achieved.
    2. Use a bedding inlet scraper tool to fine tune areas. Jerry Fisher Bedding Inlet Tool

1gunaholic

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Nov 10, 2021
    Central Indiana
    I have a ruger charger in .22lr. I want to put a bull barrel in the stock, that is holding a standard thin barrel. How should I go about this ? I was thinking about a drum sanding mandrel with sandpaper on it . Then I would grind/shave sand it down like that ? My original stock is that plastic/nylon stock. Dont know if this is going to work ? Any ideas would be appreciated , besides going out and buying another stock LOL.
    However you do it, take your time. Those plastic stocks can heat up and melt/warp quickly.

diver dan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    DeMotte
    You know what. I am going to call SHAW BARRELS and get a factory contour barrel 10 inches long , with a benz chamber and see what they say.That way its a TARGET barrel w/benz chamber and it fits in factory stock.I might even see if they can give me a helical flute.I might cry at the price , but I can ask.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I used a wooden dowel rod with paper wrapped and stapled to the rod.

I have a tapered barrel so it was harder as I had to sand a taper in the stock. Started with 60 grit to "hog it out" and went to progressively finer grits once I got it close.

It took awhile, but it worked.

diver dan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    DeMotte
    Talked to SHAW BARRELS and they will sell me a factory contour barrel with BENZ chamber , thats what I think I will do.At least I will be able to do some mild competitions.Hey guys thanks for all the imput , your ideas were helpfull.

Bill2905

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 1, 2021
    Lake County
    I opened up a Bell and Carlson composite stock to fit a 1 inch bull barrel with sandpaper wrapped around a long deep well socket. I masked the visible edge surface adjacent to the channel with painters tape to protect against inadvertently sanding it. Take your time and enjoy the project.

diver dan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    DeMotte
    Ya, that factory pistol stock has a taper to it on a ruger charger .And I am afraid to, at the front of the stock it would take away too much of the forearm sides.?

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    Sure sand paper and sockets and routers will get you where you want get, but here is an actual gunsmith tool to open up the channel. The cutters are available in many different diameters.

www.brownells.com

Attachments

• IMG_20211226_190704059.jpg
      IMG_20211226_190704059.jpg
      2.3 MB · Views: 5
    Top Bottom