• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    NE Indiana
    You know, normally I wouldn't carry a rifle out in public. But I've been keeping up with the Fort Wayne OC/police thread. I hereby advocate all of us heading to Fort Wayne and walking the streets with our ARs, AKs and shotguns. This is what happens when they screw with people over OC'ing handguns. We don't NEED any license AT ALL to carry long guns. So they would have no legal reason to detain us to check for one. Exercising our rights is NOT reasonable suspicion that any sort of crime is occurring or has occurred or is about to occur, so the FW police would quite possibly be open to suit for illegally detaining or arresting us.
    Thoughts?

:)
    I'm curious. How much interaction have you had (positive or negative) with the FWPD? I OC almost every time I shop or go to a restaurant to eat in FW and I have never, I say again never, had a problem with FWPD. So, we are talking about an isolated incident.

Instead of advocating a march or demonstration, wouldn't it be more expedient for a couple FW people to go talk to the C-of-P first? Kinda handle it man-to-man before a protest is started? I don't live in Ft. Wayne, but I'd be willing to go.

I just see a protest, at this stage of the game, like killing flies with a sledge hammer. It works, but you bust up a lot of tables, walls and windows while doing it. When a sledgehammer is needed, then it is the right tool for the job.

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    I'm curious. How much interaction have you had (positive or negative) with the FWPD? I OC almost every time I shop or go to a restaurant to eat in FW and I have never, I say again never, had a problem with FWPD. So, we are talking about an isolated incident.

Instead of advocating a march or demonstration, wouldn't it be more expedient for a couple FW people to go talk to the C-of-P first? Kinda handle it man-to-man before a protest is started? I don't live in Ft. Wayne, but I'd be willing to go.

I just see a protest, at this stage of the game, like killing flies with a sledge hammer. It works, but you bust up a lot of tables, walls and windows while doing it. When a sledgehammer is needed, then it is the right tool for the job.

Me? None. I hardly ever find myself in Fort Wayne. I'm glad you haven't had the problems others have had. That thread isn't the first incident I've heard about over the last few years, though

But I like killing flies with a sledge hammer. That's my style. I'm an extremist like that. In my experience talking doesn't always work. Hitting them as hard as possible in the wallet works, and the lesson lasts much longer. The weaker approach often only results in more of the same.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    NE Indiana
    Me? None. I hardly ever find myself in Fort Wayne. I'm glad you haven't had the problems others have had. That thread isn't the first incident I've heard about over the last few years, though

But I like killing flies with a sledge hammer. That's my style. I'm an extremist like that. In my experience talking doesn't always work. Hitting them as hard as possible in the wallet works, and the lesson lasts much longer. The weaker approach often only results in more of the same.
    No, I admit that talking doesn't always work. I'll concede to that.

I'll also concede that this isn't the first time I have read about someone that says they were hassled by FWPD, and I even saw one Officer from FWPD named directly. That Officer also allegedly worked in a non-official capacity for a local newspaper, and it was alleged that he actively discouraged residents, through the newspaper's forums not to OC.

So, in regards to the quote above I ask you to think about what you are proposing by saying,
    Hitting them as hard as possible in the wallet works, and the lesson lasts much longer.
    Mayor Henry probably isn't long for his position with his age and being a concern and he seems to be upsetting the constituency with several issues that he is pushing right now.

Now take Rusty York. Who knows how long he is going to remain C-o-P for FW. If/when a new Mayor is elected, he may be demoted or give up the job.

If you were to be arrested for OC'ing a long gun or a pistol by an officer on FWPD that doesn't know or doesn't care about the legality of OC'ing, how long before it comes to court? My point is that the people you would like to punish, "hitting them in the wallet" may not be the same people directing the actions of the Officers on the street if/when there is a judgment for a court case.

If I have an upset stomach and the "scoots", I don't go to my doctor and request my stomach be surgically removed. I take Pepto Bismol. When that doesn't work I then move up the list with stronger meds until it is evident that there is a problem that needs to be solved by surgical means.

BTW, my "Pepto Bismol" action toward this is actually contacting FWPD for a statement on their official view of OC'ing. I'll start there and work my way up. And in the meantime, I'll continue to OC in FW like I have in the past.

ETA: I called and have a time tomorrow a.m. to call again, and it is supposed to be a joint call with Chief York and someone from Internal Affairs for their official position on OC in Ft Wayne.

Last edited:

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    I understand what you're saying BTS... But here's what you need to understand. I'm a mean, vindictive jerk. I'll spend $10000 on a lawsuit over $100. Just so I can stick my opponent with that bill. If somebody owes me money, I'll add late fees and 29.9% compound interest for quite a long time, then write it off and send the guy and the IRS a 1099 for the amount I wrote off. Most people don't know that forgiven debts are considered taxable income by the IRS. Note... You need to have a properly worded written agreement to validate the debt if you're going to do that.

But again, I like killing flies with sledgehammers. I'd use a 20mm rifle if I had one.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    NE Indiana
    I understand what you're saying BTS... But here's what you need to understand. I'm a mean, vindictive jerk. I'll spend $10000 on a lawsuit over $100. Just so I can stick my opponent with that bill. If somebody owes me money, I'll add late fees and 29.9% compound interest for quite a long time, then write it off and send the guy and the IRS a 1099 for the amount I wrote off. Most people don't know that forgiven debts are considered taxable income by the IRS. Note... You need to have a properly worded written agreement to validate the debt if you're going to do that.

But again, I like killing flies with sledgehammers. I'd use a 20mm rifle if I had one.
    Okay, fair enough. I can accept that. :)

Top Bottom