• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ryanmercer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    Speedway, IN
    Popped my open carry cherry today... Speedway Starbucks... had a coffee date and didn't want to show up in t-shrit and crap, so jeans dress shirt and Bersa 380... no one even gave me a second look. :) I might be able to get used to that.

Also the 10th and Lynhurst Thortons in speedway... again no issues with owners, although some Hispanic customers did keep turning around in front of me in line and looking at then the Bersa... like 5 times in the minute and a half I was in line.

HiRoller

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 29, 2008
    Indianapolis East
    Popped my open carry cherry today... Speedway Starbucks... had a coffee date and didn't want to show up in t-shrit and crap, so jeans dress shirt and Bersa 380... no one even gave me a second look. :) I might be able to get used to that.

Also the 10th and Lynhurst Thortons in speedway... again no issues with owners, although some Hispanic customers did keep turning around in front of me in line and looking at then the Bersa... like 5 times in the minute and a half I was in line.
    What took ya so long ???? All that talk about local ordinances.... such BS !!!! Hispanic Americans prolly thought your were INS !!!

ryanmercer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    Speedway, IN
    I seriously thought they were about to freak out. There are always a handful int he store, no matter what time you go in. Today there were 4 and they couldn't stop turning around... I was starting to get nervous heh.

40calPUNISHER

Master
    Rating - 99.1%
    116   1   0
    Apr 23, 2008
    I cant remember when I lost my cherry but its been awhile. Every-so-often Ill OP. Sometimes I get looks and other times no one seems to notice. Just last Saturday I was in Blockbuster in Speedway and the manager said that he didnt mind that I carried just that next time conceal it - he was nice so I didnt want to be a dick so I said "no problem". He continued to state that "its state law that it has to be concealed anyways" so I pulled out my permit and asked him to show me were it said that and he was like "well my police buddies told me that" and i told him to have them check into that cuz they are mistaken... SO ryan, next time you are in the area stop in at Blockbuster and see if they say anything about.. :lmfao:another fun place to go is the new wal-mart on Lafayette Rd, every person you walk by smells like weed and when they see that gun they get spooked and think ur the "PO-PO"...:runaway:

SEIGUY

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2008
    Ripley Co.
    lol ive heard allot about carry free zones in walmarts. friends of mine were actually asked to leave by security because they were carrying.

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    I hate when people think that you have to conceal it. The law says you have to have the permit TO conceal it (or so I was told when I got the 'mit).

I was coming home from a tradeshow one time in a suit, no jacket, with my 1911 on my hip and had a guy in liine at a Speedway ask me what city PD I was with. After telling him I wasnt, he proceeded to "lecture" me on what "the law says", at which point (he was holding me up from paying for gas) I informed him that I did not have time for his made up legal BS mumbo jumbo and that it was a shame he did not have the capability to carry because of his ignorance of the law. He left me alone from there.

TRWXXA

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 22, 2008
    lol ive heard allot about carry free zones in walmarts. friends of mine were actually asked to leave by security because they were carrying.
    All those times I've gone "healed" into WalMart and never knew I was breaking the rules. I feel so ashamed. :rolleyesedit:

No, really... I don't feel safe in most WalMarts unless I am packin'.

40calPUNISHER

Master
    Rating - 99.1%
    116   1   0
    Apr 23, 2008
    the last time i checked wal-mart isnt government owned or a school so its not a "gun free zone"...

from what i understand you can carry everywhere (except gov. and schools), even if its posted that you cant its not backed by law. if they ask you to leave you should and you can just come back with it concealed... theres actually way more to it but it would take forever to get into detail..

long story short you can carry just about everywhere and if they trespass you then it becomes a matter of 2nd Amend. rights:popcorn2:

hunter480

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    Coatesville, In.
    the last time i checked wal-mart isnt government owned or a school so its not a "gun free zone"...

from what i understand you can carry everywhere (except gov. and schools), even if its posted that you cant its not backed by law. if they ask you to leave you should and you can just come back with it concealed... theres actually way more to it but it would take forever to get into detail..

long story short you can carry just about everywhere and if they trespass you then it becomes a matter of 2nd Amend. rights:popcorn2:

You have bad information-Any business has the right to prohibit you from carrying on their property. Just the same as a home owner has the right to keep you from bringing a weapon on their property, a business may deny you. If it`s posted, "No Firearms", they have every right to have you removed if they discover you`re packing.

SEIGUY

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2008
    Ripley Co.
    the company i work for has a no gun on the premises rule. but i cant see them forcing the rule because i have the right to protect myself to and from work.:draw:and as long as it is not carried into one of their buildings or is locked in my truck what is it hurting anyone???

hunter480

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    Coatesville, In.
    the company i work for has a no gun on the premises rule. but i cant see them forcing the rule because i have the right to protect myself to and from work.:draw:and as long as it is not carried into one of their buildings or is locked in my truck what is it hurting anyone???

NRA went to court with several people in OK I think? They were fired because they violated the"no weapons allowed" policy at work, and were found out. The courts upheald the company`s right to prohibit firearms on company property.

Indiana had a bill in the House a couple years back, that would have prohibited a business from denying anyone with a Concealed Carry Permit from keeping their weapon in a locked vehicle while at work. That part of the bill was removed prior to the Lifetime Carry Permit part being passed. I`ve been told the, so called, parking lot part of the bill will be back, but haven`t seen or heard of it again.

So in answer to your question, for right now at least, your company has the legal grounds to enforce their no firearms policy.

Glock Lover

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Apr 23, 2008
    muncie
    .40Cal is right on this one. It's just difficult wording in the law. As LE I show up because someone is packing on private property (i.e a mall etc.). Technically they can be denied access to that private property for any reason, trespass. The hairy situation comes in when you deny someone access to private property...that is open to the PUBLIC...for something they have a legal right to do within the state of Indiana...carry a weapon. There is case law to suggest that the private property owner then sets himself up for an ugly court battle because their property is not their home...it's public access property.

40calPUNISHER

Master
    Rating - 99.1%
    116   1   0
    Apr 23, 2008
    yea if ur work tells you that you cant have a gun then you gotta listen cuz im sure when you filled out all the paper work to get that job they prolly have no guns in the contract...

40calPUNISHER

Master
    Rating - 99.1%
    116   1   0
    Apr 23, 2008
    that is exactly what i was trying to say earlier but i guess i should have went into the detail that GL went into... thanks GL:cheers:

Glock Lover

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Apr 23, 2008
    muncie
    Its completely different if it's a work policy you agree to, sure you can be fired. I can be fired for typing on here at work being its against policy.

ryanmercer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    Speedway, IN
    You have bad information-Any business has the right to prohibit you from carrying on their property. Just the same as a home owner has the right to keep you from bringing a weapon on their property, a business may deny you. If it`s posted, "No Firearms", they have every right to have you removed if they discover you`re packing.

I dunno, there is a thread about this going on here on the boards... a few weeks ago anyway... and it seemed pretty undecided if they could do anything other than ask you to leave in Indiana. But if someone asked me to leave, I would, and inform them they won't ever have my business again at that.

Gryphon

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 29, 2008
    Terre Haute, IN
    Personally, I have always carried concealed for two reasons: I don't want the bad guys to know I'm armed. And I don't want to be confronted by some arrogant LEO who insists I have to keep my piece concealed at all times in public, regardless of Indiana law.

I know a fellow who open-carried into a local auto parts store and the woman who worked there told him, "You can't have that!" After he left he was pulled over by a cocky LEO who told him to keep his piece concealed or he would lose his permit.:rolleyesedit:

Believe me, 'Terrible' Haute is a very weird place to reside. The first time I tried to apply for a personal protection permit I was denied by a smug local LEO who told me, "You don't need to carry a gun."

In cool weather, I carry in a shoulder rig. In warm weather I carry in a leather fanny pack.

Top Bottom