• ...and so much more!
  • MindfulMan

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 14, 2016
    Indiana
    When I was considering a bolt action rifle, I thought that .223 would be a nice round. But that was when I had AR's. I think I would look hard at 6.5 Creedmor now.

But, alas, a bolt action rifle would just sit in the safe unless I give up on pistol shooting.
    But ..... if the world went totally bonker SHTF, you'd have a greater chance finding .223/5.56 in every ammo cache .... than you would 6.5 CM ! :oldwise:

And this statement: "when I had AR's" is troublesome. Why would anyone not have AR's ?

warren5421

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 23, 2010
    Plainfield
    I have the bad:horse: black guns/assult weapons but I shot single shots and lever actions (the original assault weapon). I can use the AR types but if you start with the Sharps or, Trapdoor or High Wall then the Lever gun then the AR, at this point you are so deep in the fecal matter it won't mater what is your only gun. My idea is 500-1000 yards the .45-70, 300-500 the .308, 300 to 100 the AR15/16. 100 yards or under a Mossberg 590A1. Personaly at 500 yards I'm gone if at all possible.

Now I shoot the High Wall .38-55 two to three times a week from 100-600 yards. Right now it is my one gun. I have not bought a new gun in several years as my single shots will do everything I want outside the house. They also save ammo as it takes longer to shot 100 rounds loading one round at a time manually and shooting it. The AR will go through 30 rounds before 3 rounds out of the single shots.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I do want to maintain enough skill to allow some level of competence with most any rifle but what would you choose if you could only have one rifle? To borrow from another thread, let’s say that the world is fully sideways and you volunteer for the Indiana militia call up. You could only bring one rifle and you must supply your own mags and ammo except for rare occasions when you would liberate a Chinese armory full of confiscated ammo and supplies.

What one rifle would you want with you? What would you feel most comfortable with for everyday carry/use?

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    But ..... if the world went totally bonker SHTF, you'd have a greater chance finding .223/5.56 in every ammo cache .... than you would 6.5 CM ! :oldwise:

And this statement: "when I had AR's" is troublesome. Why would anyone not have AR's ?
    True but I don't consider that in my firearm selection.

I might build another one someday.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I do want to maintain enough skill to allow some level of competence with most any rifle but what would you choose if you could only have one rifle? To borrow from another thread, let’s say that the world is fully sideways and you volunteer for the Indiana militia call up. You could only bring one rifle and you must supply your own mags and ammo except for rare occasions when you would liberate a Chinese armory full of confiscated ammo and supplies.

What one rifle would you want with you? What would you feel most comfortable with for everyday carry/use?
    The Chinese armory throws me off some. I'm thinking it would be full of 7.62 vs .556. If that's the case, I'd want an AK. If not, an AR just like I posted in that other thread.

Tyler-The-Piker

Boondock Saint
    Rating - 100%
    101   0   0
    Jun 24, 2013
    ><(((((*>

In that case I want a 10.5" AR in 5.56 with blast can, eotech, and D-60. 4 30rd Pmags in my chest rig.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville

LDyZlNu.jpg

Sorted out that exact question for myself.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    It is funny, check zero for hunting season on a rig and go " man that trigger is nice ".
    And about round number 10 you go "c'mon, c'mon, c'mon" as you squeeze the trigger.
    Takes a few rounds to get back in the groove, about half a box.
    Used to not take any.
    Aint lost it fully yet............maybe when it takes more than a box to get back in the groove LOL

Top Bottom