• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • daddyusmaximus

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.9%
    88   1   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Remington
    I have always wanted a play around jeep, but I spend all my disposable income on guns and ammo.

Follow along...
    Once I get more money... I'll get more parts.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I justify having two .22 rifles so that if I want to shoot with someone, we can each have a rifle.
    Case in point of owning more than I really need: today I took my personal trainer to the range. He has shot a little with his cousin, but I brought all of my handguns with me so he could experience firearms he hasn't shot. He was able to shoot some of my stuff I hadn't had out in well over a year, I'm sure. And at one point we were shooting the plate rack, he took a shot, if he missed, I took it. And so on. It was fun.

Had I only had one gun, we would not have been able to do that. So though I may not shoot some of mine very often at all, I am more than happy to get them out if someone wants to try them.

Reactions: Leo

gregr

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2016
    West-Central
    Once upon a time, my gun safe was so full, I could barely close the door. I got rid of a bunch of stuff, most of it actually. At times I hate having gotten rid of what I did, but usually, I`m good with it.
    I have a Knight muzzleloader and a Ruger .30-06 for deer. A browning BPS for turkey. A Browning Gold Hunter for rabbits, quail, pheasant, or whatever. A Remington 552 for squirrels or pests. A Remington tactical 12 gauge for 2-legged varmints.

Last edited:

daddyusmaximus

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.9%
    88   1   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Remington
    Case in point of owning more than I really need: today I took my personal trainer to the range. He has shot a little with his cousin, but I brought all of my handguns with me so he could experience firearms he hasn't shot. He was able to shoot some of my stuff I hadn't had out in well over a year, I'm sure. And at one point we were shooting the plate rack, he took a shot, if he missed, I took it. And so on. It was fun.

Had I only had one gun, we would not have been able to do that. So though I may not shoot some of mine very often at all, I am more than happy to get them out if someone wants to try them.

Theoretically, you could do that with just the one gun...

The one with the rifle shoots.jpg

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Theoretically, you could do that with just the one gun...

View attachment 140259
    That reminds me of one of the Call of Duty games where you played the part of a Russian soldier and started without a rifle and had to run towards the battle and when a guy got killed, you picked up his rifle and kept on fighting.

And yes, I played a lot of COD. My son used to buy me the new game every Christmas but COD Modern Warfare is where I settled in on and then went the online route until I was pretty much dominating. I peaked and started going down the other side so I "retired" while I was still close to the top, lol.

texas123

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 31, 2012
    Frankfort
    Seems I have made a full circle. Started out in the late 60's with 1911's and bolt action rifles.Then got interested in the AK rifles . Of course after the AK the natural progression is on to the AR platform. Of course I could not let the polymer handguns sneak by without me. So.... well we know how this goes... Fast forward to now, only firearms I kept are the ones I truly enjoy and shoot with the most proficiency. The same 1911's and bolt action rifles I started with.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Defend near, defend there, defend far. Why are we choosing one tool?

Yup, that’s exactly my point. If I try to get down to just one rifle, I leave optimized solutions behind. The Sig 716i is a jack of all trades, master of none. The Tikka is good at making small groups at distance but would suck for home defense (unless I had a 500 yard driveway). A suppressed 8.5” .300BO pistol is handy for home defense but not so much if I want to make small groups at 200 yards.

I do love the idea behind becoming the best you can be with a rifle but are we limited to being skilled with just one? Is it certain that if you try to gain skill with a 14.5” AR with an Eotech, that your skill with a different rifle would suffer?

Might be a good time for me to dig up that old Heinlen quote regarding specialization.
    dd521f8b7d1c3d1e23c12fadf5056721.jpg

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Let's face it, the only reason we don't see more of the "one man - one rifle" concept these days, is because of... well... "these days".

America, indeed the world, (largely because of America) has changed. The average man "these days" has more disposable income.
    No matter how much we complain about being "poor" or "broke", (and I do it ALL THE TIME feeling sorry for myself because I live on VA disability) the simple fact is that we have enough money now... for more than one rifle. I'm poor (or so I keep thinking) and I got 6.

In the days of "one man- one rifle" it was so because that rifle was a substantial cash outlay that would eat into a man's pay way too much to simply be augmented by an additional one, when the one he had could be made to do the job.

A man had only one rifle, because that's all he could afford... So he got good with it.

I think this comment hits the nail on the head. Yeah the guys that started and lived the "one man, one rifle" didn't really have any other choices. Just like the old saying "there isn't much you can't fix with $700 and a 30-06".

I also agree that I look at guns like a drawer full of wrenches. Each has a job, but honestly, I could get by with a crescent wrench and be fine.

billmyn

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    160   0   1
    Mar 19, 2009
    New Ross
    I have more than 1 gun but I like to try different platforms, so usually my long range bolt my AR and my daily carry usually tag along with me to the range and when play time is finish those 3 will get at least 1 mag ran through them. Most of my guns will come and go but those 3 will never. My wife says that she is glad that I don’t go through women like I do guns

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    My FiL had just one gun. But didn't really know much about it. He just thought he should have one in case.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    My FiL had just one gun. But didn't really know much about it. He just thought he should have one in case.
    I know a few people like that. I have come across more in the last couple years. They buy something and toss it in a drawer.

Have one acquaintance that says shes doesnt even want to own a gun, but bought one anyways.

MindfulMan

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 14, 2016
    Indiana
    I've enjoyed reading the query, and the replies to this thread.
    As a distinguished member said: Why one ? .... especially in this day, and age.

But, as much as I love AR's, and feel that my .308 Saint Victor pistol (with etched 3X reticle) could fulfill the OMOR role .... I believe that my Ruger American .223 / 5.56 rifle might be best suited. It's the model that takes AR magazines, and has a dead reliable bolt, with few parts to fail. The 3-9X scope covers an acceptable range. Other than if you're going to use a rifle for home defense, or ultra-long range scenarios ... this sweetheart covers all of the middle-ground so well, IMO.

Plus, it's keen when wanting to present the Gray-Man appearance !

i-5LNZGP7-XL.jpg

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I've enjoyed reading the query, and the replies to this thread.
    As a distinguished member said: Why one ? .... especially in this day, and age.

But, as much as I love AR's, and feel that my .308 Saint Victor pistol (with etched 3X reticle) could fulfill the OMOR role .... I believe that my Ruger American .223 / 5.56 rifle might be best suited. It's the model that takes AR magazines, and has a dead reliable bolt, with few parts to fail. The 3-9X scope covers an acceptable range. Other than if you're going to use a rifle for home defense, or ultra-long range scenarios ... this sweetheart covers all of the middle-ground so well, IMO.

Plus, it's keen when wanting to present the Gray-Man appearance !

i-5LNZGP7-XL.jpg
    When I was considering a bolt action rifle, I thought that .223 would be a nice round. But that was when I had AR's. I think I would look hard at 6.5 Creedmor now.

But, alas, a bolt action rifle would just sit in the safe unless I give up on pistol shooting.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Willphill12
    Top Bottom