• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RedDot

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 15, 2010
    Columbus
    When you carry, do you have one in the chamber ready to go with your safety on OR do you cock your gun when you need it?

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Sure. Modern handguns are designed to be safely carried this way.

None of my defensive guns have a manual safety lever or mag disconnect by choice.

Many handguns designed this way intentionally including Glocks, SIGs, XDs, S&W M&Ps, Kahrs, virtually all revolvers, etc.

It's also been discussed before. Here are a few of the previous threads:

https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo..._you_carry_condition_1_empty_chamber_etc.html
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/carry_issues_and_self_defense/59766-one_in_the_chamber.html
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...0729-do_you_carry_with_a_round_chambered.html

Last edited:

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    I think the only way to carry a gun is with one in the chamber.

As to the part about the safety being on, if there is a manually activated safety on the gun, such as on a Browning HP, a Colt 1911, a CZ 75B, a Taurus PT-1xx, Walther PPK, Smith 39xx, 45xx, 59xx series or any other gun with a flip on safety, then YES it makes sense to have the safety switched to the on position.

As to the follow up of "cocking" the gun, to that I presume you mean 'racking the slide to chamber a round' No I would never carry a gun in such a condition where I had to rack the slide to chamber a round. What if I am holding off the attacker with my left hand and holding the gun in my right hand? The gun is now a useless club without a bullet in the chamber.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    When you carry, do you have one in the chamber ready to go with your safety on OR do you cock your gun when you need it?

Oh! I knew what you meant. Just pulling your leg. :D

When I carry my 1911, I keep a round chambered and the safety on. When I carry my XD, I still keep one round chambered, but there is no safety. You will find many have differing opinions. Also, I didn't always carry like this. It took me a while to get used to it and trust that I wouldn't do anything stupid, like forget to place my 1911 on safe.

zoglog

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Sep 20, 2009
    Hendricks Co
    I dont believe in guns! I was finally the first to put that in the thread!

Seriously though: when I first started carrying I was very nervous about carrying with a round in the chamber. I grew out of it and now can not believe that I ever carried without a round in the chamber. There are too many variable to a safety and cocking your firearm.

I wont judge you either way, carry how you see fit.

Dough Boy 1911

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2010
    Hammond, IN
    I didn't know there was any other way :dunno:

But seriously get a good holster (do not get cheap here), WITH A UNLOADED WEAPON practice drawing and flicking off the safety until it becomes a natural motion and you'll be fine

Mr. Habib

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Somewhere else
    An unloaded gun is about as useful as a screen door in a submarine. IMO if you feel the need to carry a firearm that requires two hands to operate effectively, carry a rifle or shotgun.

Top Bottom